Deadlift form question

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I'm just starting my second week of NROL4W and I know I have "newb" written all over me when I'm at the gym. Today a trainer stopped me doing my deadlifts and told me that (a) my back should be straight, any time I'm putting stress on my spine and (b) I should really only go down to just below my knees and then straighten back up, rather than all the way down and up. She said it would be better to work my way up to the full deadlift to avoid injury.

From googling it looks like she was right about (a) (I couldn't tell from the book), but what about (b)? Was her unsolicited advice correct? ;) That would be a Romanian deadlift, right? Is that a better choice for beginners for some reason? Or should I stick with the program and do regular deadlifts and just make sure my weight's not too heavy to do with proper form?

Replies

• leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you want to hear from the mods, but if it helps any I got the exact same advice from the trainer at my gym too.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, synchrony7.
    I was just talking to DH about it (he was an advanced lifter until he had a back injury from playing football several years ago. He's gone to PT for it). He said she's right, too, and that I really shouldn't do deadlifts but if I do, Romanian would definitely be the better choice. He said to ask any physical therapist, dr., etc. and that they would tell me the same thing.
    I'm confused. :p
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    "Most" people at commercial gyms do RDL's because they will use a lighter load and therefore shouldn't be as risky injury wise. They target the hamstrings a bit more than full deadlifts. Full deadlifts work the upper back a bit better IMO. RDL's are also a lot less taxing on recovery but this is unlikely to matter for you at this stage.

Re straight back: DEFINITELY! Do not do any type of deadlift until you have worked out how to brace the core, keep lats tight and keep your spine in it's natural curve. For a conventional deadlift, lumbar spine is mainly the issue. Google dan john hip hinge for some good practice pointers.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What size plates are you using? When I started, I had to start with an empty bar because that's all I could lift. Therefore, I did RDL until I could get the 45s on the bar...trying to get those small plates all the way to the ground and back up was putting a ton of strain on my back, and I didn't have anything to raise the bar to a proper position. Once I could get the 45s on and have that bar starting mid-shin, I went to traditional deadlifts and it worked out great for me.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    What size plates are you using? When I started, I had to start with an empty bar because that's all I could lift. Therefore, I did RDL until I could get the 45s on the bar...trying to get those small plates all the way to the ground and back up was putting a ton of strain on my back, and I didn't have anything to raise the bar to a proper position. Once I could get the 45s on and have that bar starting mid-shin, I went to traditional deadlifts and it worked out great for me.

I was using an 18-lb bar. ;) When I tried getting into weight lifting before, I hurt my back pretty easily so I'm trying to start slow this time and focus on form. That makes a lot of sense though that RLs would be better if you're not actually using a bar with plates. My first time I only used 5-lb dumbbells. (I know, I'm pathetic, but I'm increasing each time.)