Anybody training for a first half?

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I am, for an End of Sept half. Just registered today. I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan(am at week 4). I'm super nervous!!!

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am, sort of. During the Spring I was increasing my long runs to get a good base, when I suddenly decided to sign up for a virtual half. I ran that, by myself, on June 1st. So, that was my first half, but I didn't have a real training program and no one else ran it with me.

Now I've signed up for the Bird in the Hand half on the second weekend of September. I'm currently doing a half training prgram through my RunDouble app, but am thinking about changing it to a different one.

I think that I'm not so nervous as I know that I can do it, but still nervous as I know how slow I am. I don't want to be the last one done. I'm going to keep with the training plan and hope.
  • pmur
    Options
    btsinmd,
    Good Luck with the half. Since you've already done it, you do know that you can run the difference. That's a good thing!
    Mine is on 9/26! So far I've only run a 10K. Right now I'm on week 4 of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan. So far me and my running mate like it. It's quite easy to follow. We are just worried about the looming 13.1 miles. Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks when our long runs go beyond 7-8 miles we will start feeling differently.

Don't worry about speed. We are quite slow too. We are hoping to just finish the race.

It's good to find someone running a first half in sept! We are going to rock!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm in the last couple of weeks of Hal's beginning half marathon program. Last long run is Sunday. Then I start a taper for the race.

Super stoked.

To think that about a year ago I couldn't run a mile without being completely gassed.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!

I decided within the last few days to start training!!!! What works great for me is running with friends because I would never stop for a quick walk with them like I do when I'm on my own. It is really helping me to get to the next level!! Plus visiting sure does speed the time up!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half 3 weeks ago today. I used a modified version of Hal Higdon's novice program. My best advice is on race day trust your training and enjoy the day. It was an amazing experience. Good luck to all of you!
  • pmur
    Options
    I'm in the last couple of weeks of Hal's beginning half marathon program. Last long run is Sunday. Then I start a taper for the race.

Super stoked.

To think that about a year ago I couldn't run a mile without being completely gassed.
    Good Luck for race day! Keep us posted on tips and tricks for training and race!
  • pmur
    Options
    Hi!!!

I decided within the last few days to start training!!!! What works great for me is running with friends because I would never stop for a quick walk with them like I do when I'm on my own. It is really helping me to get to the next level!! Plus visiting sure does speed the time up!!
    Great! I do take walking breaks every 2-3 miles and so does my buddy. But we don't walk as much as we would if running alone.
  • pmur
    Options
    I ran my first half 3 weeks ago today. I used a modified version of Hal Higdon's novice program. My best advice is on race day trust your training and enjoy the day. It was an amazing experience. Good luck to all of you!
    Congrats! I hope to enjoy the race. I'm beginning to get really nervous though :(
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half in Feb. I am still working my way through a 10k training program and then will graduate to a half training program.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope to enjoy the race. I'm beginning to get really nervous though :(

I think that's normal. I put a lot of pressure on myself during training that I realized after the fact wasn't necessary at all. I felt like every run had to be a good one, and realistically that isn't going to happen. If you run 8 miles and it was a horrible run, those 8 miles still count.

There's a DJ on the radio here who is actually quite annoying in general, but she did say something that helped. The other DJ asked her if she can sleep the night before or if she's too nervous and she said she's not nervous at all. Her strategy: "I just treat it like it's another training run, and I wonder what all these other people are doing here too."
  • rabblerabble
    Options
    LOL! Yeah my half marathon is tomorrow. Longest training run was 11 miles so tomorrow is just a few miles more. Biggest difference will be that I don't have to carry my own water or sports drink and at the end they have an assortment of goodies for the finishers. Plus the end of the race is along a parade route (parade starts a hour or so after the end of the race) so I get to run past lots of spectators who will hopefully have some encouraging words and cheers in the last few miles.
  • rabblerabble
    Options
    I completed my first half marathon yesterday. It was part of the Deseret News Classic which started as a marathon in 1970 (one of the oldest in the Western US). They added a 10K some time ago, added the half last year, and added a 5K this year. Takes place on Pioneer Day (July 24 which was a Thursday this year) and occurs on whatever day of the week it falls on (bumped to Monday when it’s on a Sunday). The organizers have been doing this for 45 years now and really do a top notch job.

Salt Lake City is part of the Wasatch Front where a string of cities are located right on the edge of the Wasatch Mountain range and like many local long distance races, they start the race up one of the canyons and you have a nice long downhill down the canyon and foothills to start the race. Yesterday’s race dropped about 1700 feet overall with about 1500 of that in the first 10 miles.

Race started promptly at 6AM and we rode buses up to the starting area arriving about 5AM. According to the result page there were a bit under 900 finishers. We were all milling around stretching, warming up, getting items into bags to be picked later at the finish and about half an hour away from the start, a sudden squall came up with strong winds and steady rain and with pretty much all of us dressed for the summer (it was 103 the day before) we wondered what we were in for, but the squall ended as quickly as it started. Most of the race ended up being under cloudy skies until the last couple of miles which made things quite pleasant.

During the race, we shared some parts of the route with the marathon runners. The marathon started 30 minutes before the half and their lead runners started overtaking our race with a few miles to go and of course were blazing by us as they passed.
    I started off at a fairly fast pace (tough to keep the speed slow when going downhill) was a bit under a 10 minute pace the first couple miles, kept pace between 10:30 and 11:00 the next 7 miles then started slowing. Had three mid 11 minute miles, but then really hit that dreaded wall taking over 13 minutes on the last mile. The last couple of miles are along the route of a parade that starts later in the morning and even with the parade crowds cheering the runners on, I simply had nothing left in the legs and slowly jogged (didn’t have to walk at least) to the finish line at Liberty Park where we enjoyed post-race treats including ice cream, fruit, French Toast, and trail bars as well receiving the traditional medals to hang on our wall.

I wound up with a time of 2:26:13 which is of course a PR since it’s my first time. Average mile came out to 11:09 (a bit short of my goal of 11:00 but my biggest goal was to finish without having to walk). I feel pretty good given that I just started running at the first of the year and couldn’t have run one continuous mile at this time last year. I’m quite tired today and legs are certainly sore, but after a rest day or two, I’ll be ready to get back out there getting ready for more races this fall. There’s a 10K I think I’ll do in early September and I think I’ll tentatively register for a half taking place in mid-October. Think if I can get a few more half marathons under by belt and get my times down that next year I might shoot for the full marathon on Pioneer Day.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I completed my first half marathon yesterday. It was part of the Deseret News Classic which started as a marathon in 1970 (one of the oldest in the Western US). They added a 10K some time ago, added the half last year, and added a 5K this year. Takes place on Pioneer Day (July 24 which was a Thursday this year) and occurs on whatever day of the week it falls on (bumped to Monday when it’s on a Sunday). The organizers have been doing this for 45 years now and really do a top notch job.

Salt Lake City is part of the Wasatch Front where a string of cities are located right on the edge of the Wasatch Mountain range and like many local long distance races, they start the race up one of the canyons and you have a nice long downhill down the canyon and foothills to start the race. Yesterday’s race dropped about 1700 feet overall with about 1500 of that in the first 10 miles.

Race started promptly at 6AM and we rode buses up to the starting area arriving about 5AM. According to the result page there were a bit under 900 finishers. We were all milling around stretching, warming up, getting items into bags to be picked later at the finish and about half an hour away from the start, a sudden squall came up with strong winds and steady rain and with pretty much all of us dressed for the summer (it was 103 the day before) we wondered what we were in for, but the squall ended as quickly as it started. Most of the race ended up being under cloudy skies until the last couple of miles which made things quite pleasant.

During the race, we shared some parts of the route with the marathon runners. The marathon started 30 minutes before the half and their lead runners started overtaking our race with a few miles to go and of course were blazing by us as they passed.
    I started off at a fairly fast pace (tough to keep the speed slow when going downhill) was a bit under a 10 minute pace the first couple miles, kept pace between 10:30 and 11:00 the next 7 miles then started slowing. Had three mid 11 minute miles, but then really hit that dreaded wall taking over 13 minutes on the last mile. The last couple of miles are along the route of a parade that starts later in the morning and even with the parade crowds cheering the runners on, I simply had nothing left in the legs and slowly jogged (didn’t have to walk at least) to the finish line at Liberty Park where we enjoyed post-race treats including ice cream, fruit, French Toast, and trail bars as well receiving the traditional medals to hang on our wall.

I wound up with a time of 2:26:13 which is of course a PR since it’s my first time. Average mile came out to 11:09 (a bit short of my goal of 11:00 but my biggest goal was to finish without having to walk). I feel pretty good given that I just started running at the first of the year and couldn’t have run one continuous mile at this time last year. I’m quite tired today and legs are certainly sore, but after a rest day or two, I’ll be ready to get back out there getting ready for more races this fall. There’s a 10K I think I’ll do in early September and I think I’ll tentatively register for a half taking place in mid-October. Think if I can get a few more half marathons under by belt and get my times down that next year I might shoot for the full marathon on Pioneer Day.

Sounds like a fantastic first Half! Great job on your PR :wink:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Congratulations! You got it done and with a good time! Really great!