• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Recovered from travel.
    5km swim today.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Nope. Have not done a lap in weeks. Driving me crazy. Glad to see that the tribe is keeping the faith, from fishgutzy through emma, curls, and beerfoamy and all you rest on forward.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 Nice Turkey Trot run and 45 laps. We have had freezing rain with -10 to -15C so every trail and road is covered in a nice layer of ice. Really limits your running. Now it is snowing on top the ice so promises to be really interesting driving, walking, running etc. In some places you could put on the skates and have a great game of Hockey.

@emmab0902 Your kicksets are awesome - being a typical guy my kick is rubbish - nice pyramid on the endurance set

@beerfoamy 5000m - in 1hr36 minutes well chuffed indeed. Never get more than 1 hr in the pool due to there schedule - Family swim follows lane swim = lots of screaming kids and no lanes
    @aliciamariaq One of the main reasons I am in the Adult Swim Club is for the variety of workouts that the coach's will build. As the one coach said he think of the workouts he hated the most in Junior Swim Club and but caused the greatest improvement in his skills and those are the ones he centers his plan around.
    Welcome back @fishgutzy.

In the pool yesterday at noon for a splash - no real plan as the lanes were to crowded to accomplish much. Lots of free pull (pullbuoy) with zipper and finger drag recovery to improve my left arm position. Still dropping the wrist=slapping the water on hand entry and putting on the park brake. The huge stream of bubbles off my left hand underwater is a dead giveaway. Did all my breathing on the left to work the roll - 4 stroke. Probably 800-1000m.
  • BradyPug
    BradyPug Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great workouts everyone, am envious. My swimming stlye etc leaves a lot to be desired. Just getting the stamina to do multiple laps seems daunting. Was never comfortable with my face in the water, head roll to breathe every so often. Taking a lot of getting used to for sure but am keeping trying. Wondering if better to concentrate on my stroke either by using kick board and using legs or swim buoy and concentrating on arms before trying to put it all together in one complete lap.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    300 swim
    200 kick
    300 pull
    200 swim

32 x 25 IMO rest :15
    8 x 100 odds breaststroke, evens backstroke rest :30
    16 x 50 kick odds dolphin, evens breaststroke rest :10
    6 x 100 IM rest :15
    4 x 100 freestyle pull w/ buoy rest :10

300 swim

4500 total
  • loneda
    loneda Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    3200m yesterday, including a sprint set that wiped me out:
    10 x 100, alternating IM and free.
  • loneda
    loneda Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @BradyPug I am not sure what would be best. I think it would be fun to experiment with a kickboard and buoy and see how they feel. A lot of people feel that they can swim faster with the buoy because of the bouyancy.

Could you try to use a kickboard but hold your arms straight and keep your head in the water, lifting it to breathe? That might help increase your comfort level of having your face in the water.

As @fishgutzy says, just aim to increase by one lap, and your stamina and distance will increase.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    500m today - just relaxed front crawl

had a cough since thurs so slow and steady recovery but was going a bit stir crazy at weekend not moving!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 How interesting, I too have noticed that in swim practice, the females are stronger at the kick sets than the men.
    I wonder why? Better body alignment? They are higher on the water? Hmm

• ammoes
    ammoes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1000m today in 45 min. I’ve started to not to need to stop every 25m but every 50. Slow but steady...

100 m breaststroke
    200m crawl
    300m crawl with fins
    400m crawl

I’m impressed by you guys!! I hope to get there some day!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 How interesting, I too have noticed that in swim practice, the females are stronger at the kick sets than the men.
    I wonder why? Better body alignment? They are higher on the water? Hmm

I THINK that men generally have stronger and more sinky legs so get more drag in kick
  • BradyPug
    BradyPug Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ioneda As Dory says, “just keep swimming” :)
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    1 mile.
    no circuits so did an extra 24 lengths after my 1000m

just relaxed, wasn't measuring sets meassively
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Made it through my 45 laps. Kind of my new goal, replacing 36. I wasn't really feeling it, and it's cold and wet outside, so getting into a chilly pool dripping wet wasn't fun. I mostly had a lane to myself until a guy joined while I was at the far side. Why, oh why do people do this?? I wear glasses! I can't see through bad vision and foggy goggles! I was alone in the lane! Thankfully, I was a little to the left of the line. Then the guy next to me was all over the place with his front crawl. His arms were more like chicken wings. They came up and over the lane line every time. I actually stopped to watch and see what was going on. and then our hands slapped underwater. I know that my hands don't go into the lane next to me--on the other side of a lane marker. Oh well. I wasn't up for a swim (as per usual lately) but knocked it out anyway, so that was good.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles yesterday.
    Had to do dishes this morning before work. My wife sprained her ankle badly Sunday. So I took up some of the slack. :D
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    1050m
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2000m

400 warmup

200 kick

200 pull

100 free on 2.00 (1.25)
    200 free on 4.00 (2.54)
    300 free on 6.00 (4.30)

100 kick

200 pull

100 kick

200 swim

Again had lots of difficulty breathing. Might need to go back to the cardiologist.....
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    no circuits today - instructor ill :(

Swam 2000m

250 warm up
    250 breathing drills - up to 11 strokes before breath
    250 front crawl with hand fins
    250 mixed legs only then arms only - that hurt!! my kick is weak!!
    250 front crawl with hand fins
    250 breathing drills - up to 11 strokes before breath
    250 mixed legs only then arms only
    250 mixed breaststroke and front crawl - finished with a length underwater, 5 breathe recovery and then another length underwater - made it!
  • ammoes
    ammoes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1,2 km today.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    My pool is down for three weeks :|