Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by @fishgutzy and decided to try a 4 mile swim this week. For the record I was so tired afterwards, but I felt accomplished as well.

Warm up
    400 swim
    400 kick
    400 pull

Main Set
    24 x 75- kick, drill, pull rest 10 sec
    6 x 150 rest 15 sec
    6 x 100 rest 10 sec
    6 x 50 rest 5 sec
    12 x 25- sprints @ 45 sec
    6 x 50 rest 5 sec
    6 x 100 rest 10 sec
    6 x 150 rest 15 sec

Warm down
    200 pull
    200 kick
    100 easy
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by @fishgutzy and decided to try a 4 mile swim this week. For the record I was so tired afterwards, but I felt accomplished as well.

@YosemiteSlamAK Well done. Although I think @fishgutzy would have skipped the drills and just made laps so that would help a lot on energy required.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2600m

200 warmup

3x 300 free with paddles on 5.00

200 back

4x 150IM (25 fly 50 back 25 br 50 free) on 3.00

200 kick

500 free easy to warmdown
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well done Yosemite, that sounds a great goal Curly. And I am wryly amused at even you finding the trainkng programmes hard Emmab!

Anyway - still finding the webbing on my feet after my long gap. So another 850m swim, in 31 mins - this time pretty continual swimming. And a 'sprint' at the end - 50m frontcrawl in 66 secs. I think i used to do around 56? Need to check up.

Did it floral alphabet style - lap a was picturing amaryllus, b buddlea , c crocuses etc. Rather enjoyable.

Just a shame they were not selling flowers in the market near my pool today after the swim!

And thanks for the comments etc - the likes etc are indeed new to me (i will join in!) and quite right Juliet3445 there was a bit of pot calling kettle black going on...(Being ill gets in your head sometimes - I usually spot it /cope ok but not always! Thanks for pointing it out so nicely)

It is good to be back in the pool and posting! Xx
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2km ocean swim this morning. Decided that I only like sea swimming when it's flat lol. Was rougher water today and not fun. Ended up well off course and had to do a few diagonal swims to get back on track to the buoys!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2km ocean swim this morning. Decided that I only like sea swimming when it's flat lol. Was rougher water today and not fun. Ended up well off course and had to do a few diagonal swims to get back on track to the buoys!

Emma, is it possible to do open water swimming slowly? Every time I am swimming next to the high schoolers when 40 of them are all doing butterfly at once, I feel so tossed around, I cannot picture myself swimming in open water. It seems like you'd have to be strong or fast enough to stay the course. Not to mention the challenge of sighting. I used to think it might be fun, but I think I'd have to stick to a small cove or something. All that up and down too...
  • emmab0902
    Options

Emma, is it possible to do open water swimming slowly? Every time I am swimming next to the high schoolers when 40 of them are all doing butterfly at once, I feel so tossed around, I cannot picture myself swimming in open water. It seems like you'd have to be strong or fast enough to stay the course. Not to mention the challenge of sighting. I used to think it might be fun, but I think I'd have to stick to a small cove or something. All that up and down too...

It's impossible not to do it slowly when it's choppy lol. Felt like swimming in a washing machine today!

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Swam 1 mile @ 47 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Oh ugh... I was NOT feeling it last night. Monday night. Last week was my awful swim with all of the non swimmers. I was half expecting a repeat of that, with the addition of being extraordinarily tired. The lanes were pretty full when I peeked in, so I told myself to get changed and go to the hot tub. I had run a little over 8 miles the day before, and I was still feeling the effects of that. By the time I got out to the deck, it had cleared out. Oh noooo!!! No reason not to swim. So I did a mile. Not one lap more. It was OK, but I am glad I didn't do any more. I was just beat. Sat in the hot tub, went home and had a cup of tea, and slept like a baby. Hopefully there's more juice in me tonight!
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1900 meters today in 53 minutes. Arms are a little stiff now lol.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Adult Swim Club - Warmup 50m Kick, Free, Back, Choice of Pull drill

Dryland Torture :s X3
    Superman Planks in Front, Iron Cross, Shoulders 30secs
    Situps 20
    Plank Elbows to Palms - 20 sec each - much grumbling and threatening to throw coach in pool or snow bank outside.
    Dolphin 4 x 25 - 15 SRI
    2 x IM

Breast Stroke set X3
    Victor Davis 50m
    Kick 50m
    2Kick-1Pull 50m
    Slide Drill 50m
    100m

Cooldown 100m easy choice
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    1900m mixed with circuits

250m relaxed
    250m with hand fins
    300m relaxed

150m breathing to 9 (part of circuits)
    50m legs only (part of circuits)
    50m arms only (part of circuits)
    50m pushing 2 bricks underwater - break at 25m

500m with hand fins
    200m relaxed
    50m breaststroke - warm up for underwater
    50m breaststroke -around 42 underwater - SO CLOSE!!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Warm up
    400 swim
    200 kick

Main set
    3x through
    10 x 50 Free @ 1:00
    10 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    3 x 200 pull @ 4:00
    150 kick (50 dolphin, 50 flutter, 50 breast)
    2 x 200 back @ 4:00

I made sure to take water breaks more often as I cramped up last week when I moved up to 4 miles. Still got a couple cramps, but was able to swim through to the wall.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2500m

800 free

200 kick

200 pull

2x 300 free with paddles on 5.00 - focus on finishing stroke which was not fun having done triceps at the gym yesterday!

200 kick

200 back

100 warmdown
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    2000m

500m warm up
    500m with hand fins
    100m sprint (1:35)
    50m relaxed
    100m sprint (1:34)
    250m relaxed
    250m with hand fins
    250m relaxed - finished this with 50m underwater try - got to around 37m, not as good today
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Started my running 10k training plan on monday, which kicks me up from avoiding running to running 4 days a week. Thursday is my overlap day of swimming in the morning and running in the evening and of course today is the day the masters coach decided to go all out on kicking. I'm a (pathetic) triathlete, darn it, I don't kick while swimming!

2650m

1000m free
    150m kick
    3x100 fast free
    4x150 IMO (50 kick/50 drill/50 swim)
    4x50 kick (50 dolphin/50 flutter)
    4x50 free (25 no breath [I took a breath at the halfway mark]/25 easy])
    200 free cooldown
  • juliet3455
    Options
    It's impossible not to do it slowly when it's choppy lol. Felt like swimming in a washing machine today!
    As part of the local Triathlon training they do a swim set in the pool where 3 people with matched pace swim the edge of the pool, all the non-swimmers have kickboards and are "Making Waves" to imitate the washing machine effect. No break in the deep end as a bunch of us tread water in a line up beside each other and synchronize the wave making push to create some big-deep trough waves that re-bound off the end wall getting the swimmers from both sides. The swimming is no fun, making the waves is a blast. Especially if you manage to force someone to take a breather break.
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    Thursday is my overlap day of swimming in the morning and running in the evening and of course today is the day the masters coach decided to go all out on kicking. I'm a (pathetic) triathlete, darn it, I don't kick while swimming!
    Tuesday and Thursday have the potential to be my Overlap days. Not a lot of fun on the 2nd activity.
    Professional Triathletes have a swimming kick, most amateur's don't, saving the legs for the Bike and the Run.
    Have you ever over-exerted on the bike and when you transition into running your legs still want to make pedal circles = instant face plant. Did that the first time I did a Bike-Run brick session. Lesson Learned.

Adult swim club tonight and I am feeling the effects of the Tuesday night dry land and Wednesday night downhill skiing.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@YosemiteSlamAK Well done. Although I think @fishgutzy would have skipped the drills and just made laps so that would help a lot on energy required.

True. I mix in spent laps and do kick and hand pad pull buoy drills in the middle.
    Since I'm not training for anything I don't do hard drill sets.
    When I'm doing a 10km, it is straight pacing.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Swim Club 2150m.
    I am one of the Middle of the Pack swimmers so when there are a lot of new members or slower swimmers they bump me up into the next faster lane - knowing that I will try to stay close as long as possible and not be a lane blocker once I start to burn out. Tonight I was bumped up into the 2nd group so I had to push pretty hard.
    I guess that also means that some times I am just going with the pack not pushing myself to the edge of endurance.

50m, Kick, Free Pull as warm-up.

Free set x 3 on 15 SecRI

100m Distance per stroke; Max distance -Minimum stroke count - try to maintain same stroke count/25m
    50m Single arm L
    50m Single arm R
    4 x 25m Sprint @ 60 secs.
    That was a real Kicker of a set. By the 2nd set the one arm drills were real tough as my kick was starting to fade so every time you went for a stroke I would start to submarine which makes for tough breathing :#

Fly set x 3 on 15 SecRI

50m Dolphin with Board
    50m Body Dolphin
    25m Fly One arm L
    25m Fly One Arm R
    50m Fly

2 x 200m Free with minimum of 3 Dolphin Kicks off the wall. 30 SecRI

100m Easy Cooldown.
    Well Wipped/wupped by the end of that session. Enjoyed it though.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2500m

200 warmup

6x 150 kick as
    100 moderate on 2.30
    50 fast on 1.30

100 back

12x 100 free as
    3x
    3x 100 on 1.40 holding 1.26 or below