Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Tired after gym workout yesterday, but still swam today.
    Leisure swim w fins. 1km @ 22min
    Then another leisure swim without checking time, to better view marine life.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ha. Sore rickety right shoulder in the morning. A little dry land warm-up. Into the water for the usual session. The ache melts away. If only I could sleep under water and have all the support those expensive mattresses CLAIM to provide!

Bumped the top of my head at the end of a backstroke lap while lost in its rhythm. :<)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the 4:30pm pool time has become wildly popular. Even better is that parents are now using the lap lanes to help their kids practice after lessons. I get it. Only practice will help them improve, but if you're coming to swim after work, it's really hard to circle around young kids who aren't strong swimmers yet. Somehow, I got about an hour in.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    3000m with my swim buddy this morning. Although I'm not sure I still consider her a friend after bringing this session!!

3x150 as
    Back/br/free by 50
    Fly/free/br by 50
    Back/fly/free by 50

8x50 on 1.00 as
    Odds breathe every 5th stroke
    Evens 10m underwater on start and turn

10x150 free on 2.40 as
    Odds 75 @90% 75 steady
    Evens build by 50

200 as 100 back 100 br
    200 as 100 br 100 free

250 warmdown

Was just about a near death experience!!!

13 days until the New Zealand Masters Games. I haven't done as much time in the pool in the last 9 months, and although I have kept some base fitness, I am definitely not race fit!
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I look like I'm built for speed, but my brain won't cooperate. The software is comfort driven. I'm almost 63 years old--I know who I am and what I want to do in the water. I don't do high intensity interval training, so I won't earn faster 50s or 100s. I strive to swim better than last month if not better than yesterday. Swimming faster than the person in the next lane rates far below swimming longer & with less frontal drag, or swimming relaxed, to avoid injury. I stop often to set goals for the next 25, 50 or 100 yd piece--it can take 90 minutes to do 45 minutes of actual swimming and drills.

Swimming is life. I needn't merely "go through the motions." Nor is it a symptom of an obsessive compulsive disorder. Just having fun finding solutions.

I once ruptured a lumbar disc, that kept me from swimming for three long months. Unable to stand up straight or lay straight in the water, I could only bike or paddle outrigger canoe (if others moved the canoe to the water). Luck favored me and returned me to the pool. No surgery, just rest and patience.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have swam a couple more times since last time I checked in... just haven't had time to log it here.

Today 2km ocean swim.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Today; 1 mile @ 55 minutes
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    2800 on Sunday night...including 20x50. Coach was in a mean mood.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    6000 yards because a snow storm kept me in bed on Monday morning, and an alarm clock mishap made me sleep in on Tuesday. Gotta catch up for the rest of the week.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    ElBence wrote: »
    6000 yards because a snow storm kept me in bed on Monday morning, and an alarm clock mishap made me sleep in on Tuesday. Gotta catch up for the rest of the week.

I'm tired just reading that. I'm sure I wouldn't catch up. I'd just have to jump back in. Great swim!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Have been lurking around - glad to see the thread is still a source of inspiration for my fellow swimmers.
    Adult swim club Tuesday and Thursday evenings - avg 1500 - 1800 m.
    Seen a few of the pool pics people posted. Pool Envy. Out little 6 lane 25m community pool seems so small.
    At least we have a pool. In January we had 10 days around the -40Celsius mark - no outdoor activity then so the pool was chock full.
    Have managed to finally do one length of fly - flipper assistance.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Monday: 1.0 mi
    Tuesday: 1.5 mi
    Today: 1.5 mi
  • ElBence
    Options
    ElBence wrote: »

I'm tired just reading that. I'm sure I wouldn't catch up. I'd just have to jump back in. Great swim!!

It killed me for sure. I could barely roll myself up and out of the pool afterward. I try for 2 miles/day. I made up three of the missed miles from last week and fell short of the overall weekly goal of 21,600 yards by 1,600. I'm ahead 500 yards this week so far. 4100 today.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    I'm not getting to laps nearly as much as I was, but when I'm there, it's all good. Last week, only got in there once for an hour. Still doing weight lifting, deep water class, running and rowing.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Back for more yesterday. I had very little motivation, but that doesn't really matter, does it? ;) Got my hour swim in which made dinner and beer with my sisters feel less indulgent.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Monday: 1 mile @ 55 minutes
    Today: 1.5 miles @ 72 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 1.5 miles. @ 75 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 1.5 miles @ 70 minutes
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I swim MWF mornings. Usually a mile but I carpool so sometimes it's 100 yards short. I am built like a Beach ball but keep paddling away.
  • ElBence
    Options
    I missed two entire weeks due to illness. It was just a simple cold, but I wanted to go back only when I was asymptomatic on account of everybody being afraid the person coughing has coronavirus. 5400 today to make up for some of that two weeks. I've been keeping track of all my yardage this year, and I finished 155,000 today.