Reality vs enthusiasm

Options
ajones1965
ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
I so want to be a runner I have dreams (literally) about running. I read everything I can lay my hands on. I am on week 3 day 2 of zenlabs c25k. My legs are so sore and I am running so slowly, only between 5.5-5.8 kilometres (3.5mph!) an hour. If I slowed down I would be walking slowly! I get all fired up and enthusiastic, but the reality is so different. Ugh..... I looked at calories burned and it was low, I felt a little deflated as my heart rate was over 170 at points, I was drenched in sweat, working so damn hard but feeling like I'm not going to get much further. It's not about the calories burned really, but just that I try so hard and I'm not sure if I can go any slower to make it through the program. I'm after some advice, encouragement and anecdotes of how you managed. I'm 49 next month and I haven't run for 35 years, I am also 260lbs, but down 100lbs already. I think that is part of it, I feel better so I want to do so much. I have walked 5k races before but I want to run. I got so fired up I even registered for a 10k race in September. My mind and heart says 'runner' but my body seems to be saying 'no'. Ugh.....

Replies

• emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I so want to be a runner I have dreams (literally) about running. I read everything I can lay my hands on. I am on week 3 day 2 of zenlabs c25k. My legs are so sore and I am running so slowly, only between 5.5-5.8 kilometres (3.5mph!) an hour. If I slowed down I would be walking slowly! I get all fired up and enthusiastic, but the reality is so different. Ugh..... I looked at calories burned and it was low, I felt a little deflated as my heart rate was over 170 at points, I was drenched in sweat, working so damn hard but feeling like I'm not going to get much further. It's not about the calories burned really, but just that I try so hard and I'm not sure if I can go any slower to make it through the program. I'm after some advice, encouragement and anecdotes of how you managed. I'm 49 next month and I haven't run for 35 years, I am also 260lbs, but down 100lbs already. I think that is part of it, I feel better so I want to do so much. I have walked 5k races before but I want to run. I got so fired up I even registered for a 10k race in September. My mind and heart says 'runner' but my body seems to be saying 'no'. Ugh.....

Don't give up if this is something you really want to do! I also had dreams about running (and not those where I'm running from something scary, but running and enjoying it!). I think you could slow down even more. I've made it to week 7 and I go very slowly - 17/18 minutes per mile. I read where someone said they were running a 20 minute mille at first. Don't worry about being too slow! My husband and my son have both gone out with me and they were able to walk and keep up with me during my running intervals. My husband asked what is the difference in this and fast walking in terms of calories burn. I answered probably nothing, but later, when I'm stronger, there will be a difference. Just focus on building your endurance and don't put pressure on yourself to meet what you imagine as someone else's expectations.

By the way, I'm 44 and weighed 207 when I started. Ive lost about 16 pounds since starting. I've never run in my life! I had asthma as a child and used that as an excuse to get out of PE in school. I would always get a stitch in my side when I tried to run. I think I was trying to go too fast! I'm also doing a strength program 3 days a week (on c25k off days) and I think that is helping my legs to get stronger.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I posted to you elsewhere so I won't repeat myself.

Keep doing what you're doing. It'll all come together soon.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I think you'll be shocked at how quickly you improve. You won't improve, though, if you give up!

FWIW, I started c25k last May at 45. I was pretty thin then but I had smoked for 26 years on and off. The first time out, I couldn't run all of the intervals. Eventually, I got to the point where running for 1.5 minutes was totally doable. Long story short, I quit smoking August 1, then was pregnant with complications that made it so I couldn't run, got back to it in April and just stuck with it. Today, I ran 2 miles without stopping. I couldn't tell you the last time I ran even a MILE straight. Maybe back in high school??

When I started back, I was at a 18 minute pace or so. I had to go slow because I was just 4 weeks out of a c-section. My pace has been like 15.5 minutes this week, running in nasty, humid weather. I'm not super fast but there's been an improvement. Oh, with the calories? I get so bummed sometimes about what seems to be a low calorie burn for working so hard. Today, I did 3.2 miles total, pushing a stroller, up and down hills. My watch said 280 calories, I think! Somehow, it seems like it should be more.

Just being out there and doing SOMETHING is awesome. You really will improve if you just keep running.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, don't give up!! You can do this! Even though you feel like you are going slow, you may be able to go slower. That was my biggest problem. I got up to running 3 minute stretches but couldn't surpass it. Did that for weeks. I was starting to get so frustrated with myself. Then last weekend I had a lady grab my elbow and told me, slow down you are pushing yourself too hard. Well low and behold, I slowed down and last night I ran 5 minute stretches with almost no effort at all, then at the end of my run I was far from home so I ran the rest of the way. It turned out to be 11 minutes! I felt so exhilarated afterwards. So long story short, don't give up and slow down :) Speed will come later no worries :happy:
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You are doing good. Just keep at it. Slow down even more. Speed will come later. Focus on finishing the program with slow runs and you can work on speed next year after you finish running 2/3 half marathons. I'm sure if I can do it, anyone can. I know I couldn't finish week 4 but I came here read thru the comments and slowed down. Also someone had recommended upbeat music and I did download some nice songs. They helped tremendously. Someone else had said when the going gets tough focus on your breathing. That helped a lot. I would slow down but not stop running completely and take deep breaths and just focus on the breathing. Very helpful tip. I do it even now when I'm getting wiped out. Also when you get tired instead of drooping low and take long strides like we tend to do, straighten your posture like someone is holding you up by your hair and take short strides(a tip I read elsewhere).
    And reg that sept 10k, you got it! I took multiple walk breaks for my first race, so even if you do intervals you should be fine. I started last dec 26th and am training for a sept half. I ran my first 10k in June. By then, people who had started with me had two 10s down. So I think you will get there.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I also have dreams about running for the joy of it. I'm one of those people that are so unfit that even the c25k first day is too hard for me, so I started my own running (30 seconds running, 2.5 minutes running for week 1). I'm on the 5th week of my running now and am up to 1.5 minutes running with 1.5 minutes running. A month ago I couldn't even run a full minute without dropping out! Now I'm running 1.5 minutes and repeating it in 8 intervals. I'm 230lbs, so I definitely have extra weight to lug around, I know how hard it can be.

Just remember, "Dead last is better than didn't finish. And didn't finish is better than never started." You can get there!
  • Lachelleofthesea
    Lachelleofthesea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll add a little advice I didn't see anyone else say... If it feels particularly challenging one week, it's perfectly ok to go back a week and repeat. I was incredibly slow when I first started and I had absolutely no excuses. I'm not old; I'm not excessively overweight. Yet somehow I still felt like I would pass out from lack of oxygen. Slowing down helps a ton, but so does sticking to the shorter intervals when you feel you need it. When you are comfortable, then move on to the next week. It is a journey, but you will get there through persistence.

If you run, you are a runner. :flowerforyou:
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

If you run, you are a runner. :flowerforyou:

Couldn't agree more! :happy:
  • ajones1965
    Options
    A bit of an update: I found I couldn't finish week 4 however hard I tried so I went back to shorter intervals but picked up the pace. I also run outside more on a 5k Park Run course that has hills. The idea is conditioning and stamina and the distance will come. My heart rate has dropped from 170 to 150/min and my legs are stronger. I guess it will just take longer for me but I haven't given up!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's so funny that you say this because I've tried the C25K soooo many times and always give up, I never made it to the running 5 minutes part....and then this last time I started having these dreams where I would just start running and not stop.....

I just finally finished and graduated my C25K :) I've still yet to run a real race but this past week I ran 5 miles straight. Before this last time I had never even ran a mile before. no joke.

Just keep going at it, eventually you'll get it, if you have to, repeat. and go SLOW.

Best of luck, but you don't need it, because you have this.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've still yet to run a real race but this past week I ran 5 miles straight.

I graduated about 1 1/2 years ago and have yet to run a real race. It's not necessary, if you don't want to, and running is still fun. I run 5K-8K, 3 times a week.
    Don't give up on running.

ajones, you're doing great. You realized your "weakness" and you're working towards getting stronger. That's a true runner. You'll get there.
  • newhabitsnewme
    newhabitsnewme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. And week 4 seems especially hard. Day one was super hard but at least i finished. Day two, I did not run the entire 2nd 5 min run interval. I was totally bummed. And my pace is slow. But i am overweight, I have never ran in my life, Im short, I have a short natural, gait, and well i guess Im just slow in general. I use the NIke app and with the running intervals my miles still take about 14 min. But I wont let that discourage me, and you shouldnt either. I am trying to focus on endurance and distance. Speed will come later. Once i can just run (or jog as it probably looks to everybody) else for 3 miles I will be super happy.
  • ajones1965
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. And week 4 seems especially hard. Day one was super hard but at least i finished. Day two, I did not run the entire 2nd 5 min run interval. I was totally bummed. And my pace is slow. But i am overweight, I have never ran in my life, Im short, I have a short natural, gait, and well i guess Im just slow in general. I use the NIke app and with the running intervals my miles still take about 14 min. But I wont let that discourage me, and you shouldnt either. I am trying to focus on endurance and distance. Speed will come later. Once i can just run (or jog as it probably looks to everybody) else for 3 miles I will be super happy.

Same here, small steps, short gait, new to running. I guess we just have to keep going!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the whole 8 weeks and believe me...I had times I was searching frantically for excuses to give up! At the beginning I could not believe how long the "running intervals" were and at one point I even checked for a fault with my mobile phone. Now I can run easily for 30 minutes straight, perhaps not at world record speed but hey...who cares?

Keep at it, the program works!

Off to 10k now, I think I am addicted!
    Stef.