Fitness Challenge Week One

Options

Replies

• llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I should be able to manage this. I'm going to shoot for one day of rest between now and sunday.

I'm not doing any major hardcore workouts yet, but I am at least committed to getting out to walk and get my heart rate up.

Today's exercise: walking 40 mins brisk pace, which included climbing 129 stairs and some uphill walking (I live in a very hilly neighborhood). I also walked for 40 additional minutes at a leisruely pace with my slowpoke dog.

Anyone have a favorite (and free) walking/pedometer app?
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Workout down for today. Had some interruptions this morning which cut work out time to a very short thirty minutes, but I did WeightLoss Program on the Cybex and I was sweating in minutes! ;) Those inclines simply ain't playin!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good work so far, y'all!

Mowed the lawn this evening which counts for my second workout. I dropped the blade for a closer cut, so my arms got an extra intense workout pushing through the grass!

We're supposed to continue to have beautiful weather Thursday and Friday, so I plan to at least get out for a walk on those days. Saturday and Sunday it'll get hot hot hot again, which means playing in the pool with the kids!
  • llysenw
    Options
    That's great! How does one calculate calories for stuff like housework and yardwork? I haven't put any of these activities into MFP yet (and I have the messy house to prove it!), but I know that I'm definitely getting some sort of exercise when I'm mopping the floors or scrubbing the bathtub. Maybe I can use this as a way to motivate myself to clean more.

Cleaner house, smaller butt -- sounds good to me :)
  • melifornia
    Options
    Look for it under cardio. It's usually general, like Housecleaning - light effort. I don't count small stuff, like doing the dishes at night or taking out the trash, because I figure those are part of my daily "base" burned calories. But mowing or my Friday afternoon clean-the-whole-house session, those totally count.
  • phelan999
    phelan999 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hello, all! I did a 30 minute DVD tonight and a walk last night. I will try to do one more workout this week, but it will be tough, since we are going on vacation on Saturday. I very much appreciate the extra motivation of this group - it got me off the couch tonight!
  • StarsAreMyOcean
    Options
    :smile: Hello, all! I did a 30 minute DVD tonight and a walk last night. I will try to do one more workout this week, but it will be tough, since we are going on vacation on Saturday. I very much appreciate the extra motivation of this group - it got me off the couch tonight!
    :flowerforyou: Wonderful to hear!

I'm getting ready for my workout for today. I'm sore from yesterday in muscles I haven't felt in ages.
  • bgirl81
    bgirl81 Posts: 6
    Options
    So Day one for me I did 20 min (mostly walking) with some sit ups in there (15). I am trying really hard on portion control I did go over on my daily limit by 44 and I was hard on myself but then realized its already a big change for me or and I guess no more mayo and southwest sauce on my subs. I will look into some new foods to try, right now my favourite dessert is black beans brownies (even my kids love them).
    I also love reading about everyone on here and there workouts it really does help change my mind set (which doesn't want to work out) to wanting to do something active. Thank you :)
  • StarsAreMyOcean
    Options
    I will look into some new foods to try, right now my favourite dessert is black beans brownies (even my kids love them).
    I haven't had black bean brownies in years (since junior year of college when I had a vegan roomate...a good 4-5 years ago). Damn those are good.

*googles for recipes*
  • sarah_irish_2001
    sarah_irish_2001 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone on. Thanks to this group, I am feeling motivated, got up at 6:30 to go for a run :) Week 4, day 1 c210k completed :) Feeling good, one more workout to go
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm done! Does that mean I get the rest of the week off?!!?!?!

KIDDING! I'm doing a PiYo/Body Beast hybrid until I have surgery.
  • bgirl81
    bgirl81 Posts: 6
    Options
    That's great! How does one calculate calories for stuff like housework and yardwork? I haven't put any of these activities into MFP yet (and I have the messy house to prove it!), but I know that I'm definitely getting some sort of exercise when I'm mopping the floors or scrubbing the bathtub. Maybe I can use this as a way to motivate myself to clean more.

Cleaner house, smaller butt -- sounds good to me :)

I just added cleaning to my exercise. I never thought of housework = workout or mini workout. I agree a good motivator to clean more :)
  • kelieprincess
    kelieprincess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Did 40 minutes on the exercise bike earlier, moderate activity level, sometimes dipping up to cigorous ... Quite pleased with myself. Not sure if I will get any exercise in tomorrow but will try even if its a walk
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Well done everyone on. Thanks to this group, I am feeling motivated, got up at 6:30 to go for a run :) Week 4, day 1 c210k completed :) Feeling good, one more workout to go

Get it Sarah!
  • tonums1977
    tonums1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got three workouts in this week, and just.couldnt.go.to.the.gym.today. Ugh. PLus I work tomorrow and sunday (12 hour shifts) But I am off saturday! I will do double duty!
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Lo and behold, squeezed one out of myself! Hit up the Planet Fitness treadmill for a hot 15 minute romp and then 30 minutes working out legs, arms, and abs in the 30 minute circuit room! Feels goooooood.
  • melifornia
    Options
    More mowing today!

We had another gorgeous, cool, sunny day here so rather than futz around the house watching crap TV and wasting time online, I took myself over to my brother and sister-in-law's in the country. They have a big yard and between my SIL having just had her 10th baby (he's 5 weeks old) and my brother working a lot, the grass has been neglected. I love to mow, so I put in 35 minutes until it was too dark to see. Got a good chunk done; planning to do more tomorrow. (Bro has to work tomorrow, so we're doing our 4th on the 6th.)
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    Went for another 2 mile walk
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Challenge COMPLETE!

Tuesday cardio/weights

Challenge start date
    Wednesday cardio
    Thursday cardio/weights
    Friday cardio
  • llysenw
    Options
    Today's workout complete! 48min walk in hilly area, 2.6 miles.

edited to add: I've decided to try out the MapMyFitness walking app, which is cool because it syncs with MFP and will automatically update your MFP exercise log. It was a little glitchy at first, but I think I got it figured out.