Intimidated by the Barbell!

Options
RGreenthumb
RGreenthumb Posts: 22 Member
Hello!

So having devoured (not literally, though I do have quite the apetite) my copy of NROLFW at the weekend, I decided I definitely wanted to give this heavy lifting malarky a shot and so I ordered some equipment. My gym is rubbish and has nothing aside from a few 1kg dumbells and Body Pump equipment, so I figured I'd just go for it and do it at home. Well now that my equipment is here and I've wrestled it into the house and up to the spare room, I'm feeling pretty terrified of it. I had no idea it would all be so... cumbersome! I mean obviously I wasn't exactly expecting it to be small and dainty, and I was damn well hoping it would be heavy, but dear lord that barbell just seems bloody enormous! I'm not sure how I'm ever going to be able to manouvre that thing onto the squat stand, let alone squat with weights on it!

Am I just a wimp, or did anyone else want to run screaming from the equipment when they first started?

Replies

• skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I first started dealing with the bar, I would lift one end and then the other to get it on the position I wanted. Another tip is to not load the weights on until you have it in position.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Option three would be to get an ezcurl bar until you've worked your way up to the 45lb Oly bar. I couldn't lift that puppy at all when I started and used the ezcurl for everything. I still use it for deadlifts as the Oly bar is so much taller than I (I'm not even 5'), my balance gets wacky, so I load up the ezcurl and lift that.