how do I estimate how many calories I'm burning.

Options
tony56pr
tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
Many activities are in mfp but I have no clue how to estimate my workouts or my general activity level.

I'm on my feet over 8 hours a day, I'm a welder and so I don't have a lot of physically demanding task, but in general I spend couple hours a day climbing ladders, picking 50-100 pounds up and walking with it. I've got my activity set to lightly active. So not to overestimate calories.

However, my workouts are different, much of what I do I don't log, because I don't know how to and/or how many calories I'm burning. I completed athlean-x about a month ago, however I continue to workout 5 days a week, typical is 40 mins. It is fast paced (typical rep ranges 10-12) and intense. I push hard. Tonight's is a leg workout, I have 4 sets of db squats (what they are called more like deadlifts to me) I'll use 40 pound dbs. 3 sets of db side lunges, probably stay with 40 ibs X 2. 4 sets of hip bucks (lay on back put heels onto bench and push down to raise butt and back off of floor), 3 sets of single leg rdls, 3 sets to failure of starfish crunches and 3 sets to failure of heels to the heavens. Plus I'm going to do couple rounds of an ab circuit. Doing this in about 40 mins plus 5 min warmup with jump rope and 5 min cool down on eliptical.

How in the world do I log this? I want to do best I can so I can hit calories that I need without making myself half dead and or burn more muscle and at same time want to get myself leaner. At around 11% want to be 8%.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's going to be any way to accurately estimate this. Start with an arbitrary figure (say 250-500 calories per hour) and adjust intake based on results.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's going to be any way to accurately estimate this. Start with an arbitrary figure (say 250-500 calories per hour) and adjust intake based on results.

Bold part being critical.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well I'm getting results now, some days feel sluggish, but mostly feel good, and of course losing weight and know fat is coming off, seems fast but swear abs become more defined everyday. . Worry though that I'm burning muscle too, it's weird. One day I have strength next it seems weaker. Overall I'm about same I guess.

Anyways thank you both for responding, I'll continue on. I have upped my calories a little since I started actually logging. Feel I might up slightly more in next week or so.