New to Group

Options
creay2012
creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the group and looking for some paleo friends. This type of living was recommended by a friend due to my health issues and so far I am not 100% paleo still learning and researching. I have to say I am so pleased so far. I had thyroid cancer 4 yrs back and since then I have been feeling awful. Since starting this type of eating I have energy (no more total exhaustion) and am starting to feel better.

Replies

• cew3028
    cew3028 Posts: 32
    Options
    I am new and easing into Paleo myself (and easing my husband into the idea, lol). My thyroid has typically yo yo'ed as a result of Hoshimoto's. It'd skyrocket and then bottom out. Seems to be settling on low now and I have started on levothyroxine. This diet/lifestyle is helping me get my energy back as well! Good luck and welcome!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I have been paleo/primal (sometimes I have dairy -- right now I can get raw cream inexpensively and so that is what I put in my coffee instead of coconut oil) for a little over a year now. I have to say that some of the early benefits I remember are sleeping better, having more energy, and almost never feeling hunger or cravings.

Good luck on your journey. You'll find a lot of support and good ideas in this forum.

p.s. Check out magnesium oil. That has helped my energy levels as well. I make my own to save money.
  • creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I have been going through the threads to find more info. I have not gone off dairy yet...not sure I will 100%
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome feel free to add me as a friend, I have Hypothyroid issues and am getting healthy again too.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I *think* I've had thyroid issues -- the numbers on the blood test have always fallen in the normal range, but my basal temperature is a degree or two lower than "normal", which my naturopath says is an indicator. I've always struggled with low, limited energy. A friend told me to try kelp, and that helped a little, but what really has made the difference for me is paleo style eating.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I *think* I've had thyroid issues -- the numbers on the blood test have always fallen in the normal range, but my basal temperature is a degree or two lower than "normal", which my naturopath says is an indicator. I've always struggled with low, limited energy. A friend told me to try kelp, and that helped a little, but what really has made the difference for me is paleo style eating.

there is a lot on the subject to be learned, most doctors do not spend the time understanding all the issues with the Thyroid so they toss pills at you. Doing the Basal temperature profile it the proper way to determine thyroid issues but your doctor will not acknowledge or prescribe from that test.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Paleo!

I've been working towards a happy balance between Paleo and Keto for about 6 months (admittedly I still enjoy high fat fermented dairy like greek yogurt, goat cheese, etc on a weekly basis).

I love this lifestyle as it allows me to eat until I'm full, I'm fuller faster, I recover faster from exercise (at least I find I do) and despite heckling from co-workers it makes total sense to me (But I have the last laugh as they eat their canned soups, plain rice and low fat salads while I chow down on avocados and lots of delicious locally-sourced meat as often as I want)

Because of Paleo my wedding gown that was too tight to zip up had to be taken in because it was falling off of me!

Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've just began the Paleo way of eating. I am specifically on my first Whole 30. Is it easy? Not if by easy that means I can just grab anything, but it's certainly not hard. Losing my parents was hard. This is just a challenge. I'm hoping it helps with my stalled weight loss, joint pain issues, and overall health. Please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I've just began the Paleo way of eating. I am specifically on my first Whole 30. Is it easy? Not if by easy that means I can just grab anything, but it's certainly not hard. Losing my parents was hard. This is just a challenge. I'm hoping it helps with my stalled weight loss, joint pain issues, and overall health. Please feel free to add me as a friend!

Aargh. Avoiding work. Keep coming back to the computer for mini-breaks. Leaving to run errands now, though, so see you all later!

Welcome. Sent you a friend message.

Wanted to tell you that paleo/primal (sometimes I add dairy, but not necessarily an everyday thing, unless I happen to get a quart of raw cream that *has* to be used up within 10 days or so...) has made a huge difference in my life over the past year or so. It took me several months, however, to notice improvement in joint pain, and my pain actually got worse before it got better.

I'm still not sure why all my tendons/ligaments hurt so horribly as my joints started to feel better. All I can think is that my body was detoxing, because eventually all the pain resolved and now I'm mostly pain-free except when I eat something that has nightshades in it (like paprika... a little thing you can't even see, sometimes -- did you know a lot of prepared mustard has paprika as one of those anonymous "spices" on the label?).
  • Luckyfish72
    Luckyfish72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started eating "paleo-like" about a month ago. I went full blown for the first 10 days, but started getting migraines from low blood sugar. I added dairy back, but only one serving a day mostly at night. My biggest problem is protein, never been a meat eater. Pretty much just eat chicken, a little red meat here n there, and I hate seafood. Another is a snack after dinner... I always want something before bedtime. This was when I'd eat a bowl of cereal every night, and not the "good stuff". By night I'm tired of fruit n veggies, but have to eat something to keep my blood sugar from dropping overnight. Here is my "don't" list... No processed foods, caffeine, grains, sugar- that said, I do cave in sometimes but try to limit my mistakes. I drink over my amount of water, as it is the ONLY thing I drink. Does anyone have any advice that could help with protein and late night snacks? Help wanted...
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Another thyroid person here that has really been helped by a paleo template. I started eating this way in 2009 and it really changed my life. I find i need to supplement selenium to really feel well, I just eat 3 brazil nuts a few times a week. Chris Kresser has an entire series on thyroid that is excellent.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg, almond butter, nuts.
  • totallyamy
    totallyamy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well! I've done Paleo in the past with my Crossfit gym but once the challenge was over.. I gave up. I'm hoping to learn balance this time and not just binge like a madwoman when I crave sweets. I have a lot of tendon problems that I'm dealing with that will not allow me to exercise the way I would like, so I'm hoping to naturally heal them so I can start feeling like a 31 year old and not an 81 year old!

Feel free to add me.. I need more Paleo friends and as much support as I can get!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well! I've done Paleo in the past with my Crossfit gym but once the challenge was over.. I gave up. I'm hoping to learn balance this time and not just binge like a madwoman when I crave sweets. I have a lot of tendon problems that I'm dealing with that will not allow me to exercise the way I would like, so I'm hoping to naturally heal them so I can start feeling like a 31 year old and not an 81 year old!

Feel free to add me.. I need more Paleo friends and as much support as I can get!

I'd suggest keeping your carbs under 80g a day -- might help you stop the sweet-craving/binge cycle. I know it helped me. That and choosing healthy foods (and Paleo is all about healthy lifestyle choices) should help a lot.

I am never hungry these days, and while the smell of Cinnebons in the mall, or the sight of chewy-gooey brownies on a potluck dessert table can make me pause, I remind myself that they never taste as good as I remember them tasting. (Truth. Once I wasn't eating such things on a regular basis, the few times I *did* eat them, I realized that part of what made me want them was the memory of enjoying them, but they were never quite as good as I remembered.)