Recently Diagnosed. Lots of open ended questions.

Options
CurvyBlossom
CurvyBlossom Posts: 19 Member
I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 3 months ago. I'm now managing it by taking 100mcg of levothyroxine. My levels were a 9. and now they are "normal". I guess i never asked what i was at but i feel much better than before i started the medicine so i didn't really care.

is there anything that i absolutely need to know about managing this and managing my weight at the same time. I work very very very hard to lose weight and while i've never really been active and 8 pounds down feels amazing! it still seems like so little progress for the 3 months that i've been working so hard. I'm on a break from school right now and go back next week and i'm afraid that once all my time isn't being focused on what i eat and working out multiple times a day that the 8 pounds that i worked so hard to get off is just going to come right back on.

is there anything i should absolutely not have in my diet? or things i should be avoiding or taking? I don't take any vitamins or anything. should I? does it help? and i take my medication right away when i wake and wait about 30 to 45 minutes before i eat breakfast.

Replies

• survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    One thing I was told was to avoid or limit amounts of raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, raw spinach. Eating them raw throws off something in the thyroid. Cooked is fine. You can in raw occasionally or in small, limited quantities. Avoid taking antacids within a couple hours of taking meds also.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your feeling better. The hypo symptoms suck so badly. :sad:

I'm on 137mcg now and I am considered properly medicated as per my endo and family dr. I was told there is no need to restrict any foods from my diet, and I'm not, however they did say that would be beneficial to take a calcium supplement. Since you have to restrict your calcium intake around your synthroid, a lot of hypo patients don't get enough. Every dr has a different opinion it seems but I take one caltrate with supper and figured it can't hurt. :wink:

It is normal to lose weight slower than someone with a healthy thyroid. Don't be discouraged. MFP says I should be losing 1.5lbs/week. In reality it's more like 1lb/2.5weeks. I stopped weighing myself every week, and go by measurements and how my clothes fit now.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating tons of soy.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    You are probably on the right level of medication, this may change but need not. I think I became unable to eat various foods as part of my general thyroid symptoms and would say if you don't have any issues yourself, or were not advised to avoid things by your medical team, carry on as you are. If at any time you do develop any issues with the foods mentioned or anything else which may be related then report it when you are given your regular updates following repeat blood tests.

The objective of the medication is to try to put you at the point which your body would really like to be but can't do for itself, at this point you should be able to loose all be slower than others without this issue. If you keep vigilant and do what you can to eat "properly" for yourself, you will be fine.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Per my endocrinologist, I eat whatever I want. I take my meds on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, and wait an hour before eating or drinking anything but water.

I lost more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants