Calories burnt swimming freestyle

Options
2»

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, equations! Thanks for this. I don't use a heart rate monitor, but I can get a closer approximation than before.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is a great website for learning about calories burned and it has lots of calculators. shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that helpful info MS _J1!
    I really must plan to get an HRM. I think once I get my hands on the water music player,the HRM may be next.
    So for the time being I'm stuck with the distance covered, time taken, weight calorie calculators, to give me an idea then input the MFP light moderate minutes which give me a lower calories burned figure which hopefully does away with any overestimation of calories burned.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for that helpful info MS _J1!
    I really must plan to get an HRM. I think once I get my hands on the water music player,the HRM may be next.
    So for the time being I'm stuck with the distance covered, time taken, weight calorie calculators, to give me an idea then input the MFP light moderate minutes which give me a lower calories burned figure which hopefully does away with any overestimation of calories burned.

i do the same now too,AQ.
    calorie burn is another of the multiple tools i use on mfp in my weight loss journey,and after 4 months i seem to have a handle on my weekly net calorie deficit that matches kg lost forever.

that said,huge thanks to Ms_J1 for taking the time to produce a definitive answer for everyone.
    i am sure it will be an oft used resource.kudos.

• AquaticQuests
    Options
    And on a totally unrelated "calorie burn" issue, relevant to my current situation, I thought I would post this discussion, for some comic relief:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/107518/does-diarrhea-count-as-exercise/p1
    An HRM was one of the suggestions...
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Except in that case it would be a Heinie Rate Monitor
  • AquaticQuests
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Except in that case it would be a Heinie Rate Monitor
    Lol! Heini Rate Monitor. That's a good one!
    Any idea where one can purchase that particular product? ;)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a store I wanna shop in.....
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm thinking they need to add stroke rate to these calorie calculation sites.
    My level of exhaustion has just gone way up with increased stroke rate while swimming SLOWER!
    Anyway, it's probably because my stroke fell apart as I transitioned into it and with it went efficiency!
    Oh well, as I adjust to it, and the stroke comes back, the calories burned will probably drop again despite faster speed.
    So probably stroke rate is better away from swim calorie calculators for now!
    Random rant!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    AQ, I would guess that you'd probably end up burning more calories - I think the idea is probably a faster stroke rate but still getting as much resistance against the arm as possible. I've noticed with my swimmers (& myself) that when I try to "throw my hands" faster I end up not concentrating on getting that good grip on the water for the pull, so my hands & arms "slide" through the water without giving me much bang for the buck on the stroke. Throwing the hands fast AND getting that good pull is where the increased speed (& one would presume increased calorie burn) would come from. I'm not (nor was I ever) a good sprinter, so my focus has always been more on a powerful stroke & endurance. I try to get the kids to use a faster stroke but to not sacrifice the power to achieve the speed.....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    The problem with MFPs calorie tracker for calories burned during an exercise is that it doesn't take into account a persons weight and it's way too general when taking into account the amount of effort used during exercises. One person's sprint may be someone else's light swim.

Swimmingcalculator.com is better at determining calories burned because it takes into account your weight as well as your pace, distance, and which stroke you swim.

And according to swimmingcalculator.com, you burned 776 calories by swimming 2500 of freestyle in one hour so the calculator is comparable to your heart rate monitor.

I've tried several calculators. I prefer the conservative number I get from MFP.
    The trick is understanding the assumption behind the calculator. It assumes 1 minute per 50 yards/meters. So if I swim 60 laps, (3000 yards) I enter 60. I do 120 laps in the morning and enter 120 "minutes." I have found other web sites can substantially over estimate.
    But approximately 10 cal. per lap is what I get.
    MFP calculates A little over 1200 calories for my 120 laps swim.
    Swim Calc says over 2000. I'll stick with the conservative number. :)
    My 5 mile swim on Super Bowl Sunday recorded as 1880 calories.

This calculators splits the difference between swim calc and MFP. Seems to have a robust engine behind it.
    http://42.195km.net/e/swim/
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    AQ, I would guess that you'd probably end up burning more calories - I think the idea is probably a faster stroke rate but still getting as much resistance against the arm as possible. I've noticed with my swimmers (& myself) that when I try to "throw my hands" faster I end up not concentrating on getting that good grip on the water for the pull, so my hands & arms "slide" through the water without giving me much bang for the buck on the stroke. Throwing the hands fast AND getting that good pull is where the increased speed (& one would presume increased calorie burn) would come from. I'm not (nor was I ever) a good sprinter, so my focus has always been more on a powerful stroke & endurance. I try to get the kids to use a faster stroke but to not sacrifice the power to achieve the speed.....

Thanks, Mac.
    Yep you are absolutely right and that is what I'm presently trying to do - get back my grip on the water and lengthening my stroke at this fast rate.
    When I switched, it was all I could do to keep the hands turning at that rate, which I expected. I'm sure everything else went haywire - body position, length of pull, catch, etc.

But now that I'm a few swims in, things are beginning to calm down, my body is slowly adjusting to the new regime and slowly building up the strength to keep with this rate and retain form in posture and pull.

The recommended way is to turn up the stroke rate slowly over a period. But I just went ahead and bumped it up by almost 10 at one go - haha - but having previously figured out to some extent what I should be doing with the stroke at the slower rate, I will impose that at the fast rate - it will just take abit of time.

I've regained almost 3 of the 5-6 min I lost though, so things are headed in the right direction :smile: But definitely burning way more calories. The hope is that while this new calorie burn rate remains constant or dips a little, the speed will head up and up! LOL!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    AQ - that's fantastic progress in a very short time.....