Okay to take a bulk cycle to 20%BF?

Options
GGDaddy
GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
A question just to solicit general thoughts/discussion...

I joined mfp April 2013, and went from 240 to 180lbs, finishing at just about 10%BF in March 2014.

Then I started a bulk cycle, going from 180 to 205, where I am now, just coming up on 15%BF.

I know most folks recommend keeping bulk/cut cycles between 10 and 15%. But this bulk is going very well for a number of reasons. I'm thinking of continuing until I get to 20%, then a longer cut back to 10%.

Any reasons you can think of this might be a bad plan?

Many thanks for all of your outstanding advice!

Cheers,
Ken

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You would have to cut for longer which could have performance implications.
    You might get slightly worse partitioning, but I'll leave that to Lyle to explain:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html
  • GGDaddy
    Options
    Fantastic info SideSteel, many thanks!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Pros

You will get good strength gains adding that much body weight, if you diet down slowly and carefully you should be able to keep a good proportion of that

Cons

As mentioned it will take quite some time to cut from 20% back down to 10%

You will probably look quite fat for a while
  • GGDaddy
    Options
    Great stuff gang, many thanks.

It seems like cutting 20% back to 10% is a pretty long haul and risks performance loss. I'm thinking instead of continuing the bulk up to 17%, then down to 12% instead of 10%, since my last cut the P-ratio was a lot worse under 12%.

For now I'll probably do a couple-few cycles between 12-17%, then back to 10% when ready.

Appreciate it again!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider figure out what maintenance is at 15% for a bit and slowing your bulk to 17%
    Is my math right, 25 pounds gained in 4 months?
  • GGDaddy
    Options
    Yep, ~25 lbs in ~17 weeks.

9 lbs of water and glycogen in wk 1, and pretty much 1 lb a week after. Have been calibrating TDEE to dial in 1 lb/wk.

It's been an average p-ratio of 65%. I figure not too bad considering my age (46). Back in my 20's did a 35 lb gain with p-ratio in the 80-90% range, but this ain't then.

Planning to keep at 1 lb/wk then slowing to hit 17%, will maintain at 17% while converting from isolation exercises 6x/wk to strong lifts. Then when lifting heavy enough to help with p-ratio will start to cut. I figure that timing works out pretty well to aim for 12% BF next summer...