Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
I'm new on MFP, just looking to introduce myself.

I have "subclinical hypothyroidism" for unknown reason--so I don't have quite as many instabilities as folks with Hashimotos, though nobody has looked for antibodies so I can't be sure about that. My untreated numbers were nearly normal, but my *symptoms* were rampantly obvious, including a resting heart rate of 50 (had a complete cardiac workup, no heart problems).

No family history of thyroid disease. City water (blended from widespread sources) has been contaminated with a thyrotoxic chemical for many years but at a level far below allowed standards (some local ranches have a more serious problem with their individual wells, which is how the problem got press coverage). Its possible I'm just unusually sensitive to that thyrotoxic chemical and so it nailed me at levels that have no effect on others. A cat I had who died years ago at age 21 was *hyper* thyroid, which may lend credence to the water theory.

I was successful losing weight in the past using Atkins, before my thyroid failed. Trying again now, not sure what to expect.

I'm on 125 ug synthroid.

Recently my main exercise has been a 4 mile local hike with about 1200 foot elevation gain. I also like sea kayaking, and have practiced Aikido and Iaido intermittently over the past 3 years.

Spent a few years as a hypothyroid zombie before diagnosis, unfit to work and thus unemployed. Now I'm diagnosed and treated, I'm starting a graduate degree in Materials Engineering in fall, to update my skills and re-enter the workforce (think batteries and solar cells).

Past work includes semiconductor engineering and some work in the healthcare industry, now years out of date.

Anybody else out there have subclinical hypothyroidism?

At the moment I'm pretty stable but disappointed that my hair is about a third as abundant as it used to be. I read it rarely grows back if hypothyroidism has been prolonged. :sigh: Anybody have any luck on that aspect?

Replies

• kmullane999
    Options
    Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism too and have an extremely difficult time losing weight as well even though I eat fairly healthy and am very active. I would like to stay in touch and see how things workout for you! My doctor is still adjusting the dosage of the meds and all that but its been and extremely frustrating and difficult journey
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I was initially diagnosed subclinical by a naturopathic doctor in early 2013, she put me on low dose Armour for about a month... but when I realized that insurance wouldn't cover this doctor, I gave up. I felt progressively worse over the next 6-9 months, and when my traditional doc ran some other tests, I requested new thyroid screening and was officially out of range - not by a lot, but enough that the doc thought treatment was an option, given 3 tests over 5 years that were progressively moving in the wrong direction. Clearly, the symptoms were there for a long time given that my traditional doc even thought to run the test 5 years ago (at the time I had no idea what thyroid even was, much less the symptoms).

I've been lucky that my T4 meds have really turned things around. I see a lot of posts on here about people who need more than just T4 for treatment, and the struggle to find good medical care to support it.

It took anther 9 months of trial and error to get my body back into check. Sensitivity to brands of T4 took me on a roller coaster ride and taught me painful lessons about recognizing and managing symptoms. My sleep is normal, the fatigue has faded, no more chills, and emotionally balanced.

No comments on the hair though.