Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jen1452014
    Jen1452014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back most of them but if burn 500-600 calories I might eat 200 or so extra calories.
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't use the site estimate, I go off my garmin which gives me a better guess by using my weight, gps and heart rate monitor. I'm trying to keep it balanced over the week rather than eating back a long runs calories in one day. It's the day before that I'd need to eat them really or I just get 'empty legs'. Eating back lets me put my weekly loss goal at 2lb whilst still being able to eat pretty normally.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    As a general rule, no, I don't eat my exercise calories. I'm a binge eater (recovering) and if I get overwhelmed, those exercise calories give me a buffer that I can use to indulge a little a stave off a major attack.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do, I have 1250 allowed which is not enough to make my belly happy all day. I do enter my own burn numbers for exercise, although they are basically guesstimates based off of what the machines used to tell me when I went to the gym (I do DVDs now). My numbers are usually about 65% of the MFP numbers.
  • PagiePuju
    PagiePuju Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have to because if I didn't I was be way to skinny. I already have a fast matabalism so I don't gain weight by eating them. I don't mind because I love to eat anyway. I guess it just depends on the person. You have to keep track and if you seem to be gaining then maybe try cutting back.
  • hcalder3833
    Options
    I seem to be eating at least some of mine back every day, as I am quite hungry and having trouble getting under the calorie goal. I just track my steps with a Fitbit and do not count my weight lifting, so I believe I am still ahead.

For awhile, I believed the MFP estimates of exercise calories and was eating them all back. I've lost 5 inches but only 1 pound, so clearly that wasn't working for me! (Oops...I'm figuring things out and not hurrying myself.)
  • eaviram
    Options
    Like many people are saying, I try to mostly not eat them back and have a deficit most days. It is hard to stick to 1200 so even on good days it creeps up to 1300-1400 but with exercise I'm still at a few hundred calories deficit. I've been doing it for a couple of months and have lost a pound a week. I like to save the extra calories up for "special" days (read upcoming holidays) so those days don't make much of a difference on the scale when they inevitably happen. I do think it depends how much you exercise though. I have a fitbit and like it much better for calorie burn data than MFP and they sink nicely.
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    NoMoreTwizzlers Posts: 72 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No, I don't. It's a trick that can leave so discouraged that you quit trying. >:) You are actually yo-yoing yourself. Logically if you work them off and eat them back (regularly) why did you workout anyway? It's just delaying yet again your INEVITABLE weight loss. Now, occasionally eating them back is cool, but this is all my personal opinion.