Fasting: Yay or nay?

Options
So I've been looking some things up lately. I came across fasting.

Not the "Let's just not eat and lose weight!!" fasting, but the "Hey, let's give the body a break for 24 hours" kind of fasting. Haha.

I've seen studies that say, once a month is okay. And some saying even once a week is not bad. However, I've also come across sites saying fasting is absolutely a no-go.

I want to try it just for 24-36 hours to give the body a break, and just relax and meditate and do yoga that day. And the next day slowly introduce food back in so I don't just binge.

Has anyone tried it? Or want to? Any advice? Think it's a good idea?

Replies

• TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    I know that fasting may stall your metabolism, making you more likely to regain once you resume normal food consumption, but 24 -36 hours worth may not be too bad (it definitely will have some effect however). You may see some weight loss in those days, but it most likely be water and lean muscle mass (definitely not optimal). Also, you may not be able to hit the gym or do any exercising during those days (your body will not being in-taking food and therefore will not have the amount of energy needed to sustain activity).

Of course, there have been many who have fasted throughout the years for various reasons: religious, protest, toxic cleansing of the body, and nothing horrific happened to them, but still, I would say consult your PCP just to make sure this is something your particular body can handle. 24-36 hours may seem like a short time frame, but a lot can happen with the body's complex system when it is denied certain necessities. Make stay to keep hydrated!
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    I've read several articles about IF. From the looks of things you don't fast long enough that it is going to adversely effect the metabolism. Personally I've never tried it but I gotta URL to an interesting article about Intermittent Fasting.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/01/25/intermittent-fasting/
  • HooahLydia
    HooahLydia Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow. Loved the article. Talking about it with my husband. Very interesting! (: I think I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. Like said above many have tried it for various reasons and nothing happened to them. Lol.

But thanks for the answers guys! I've heard here and there on metabolism. Some say it may stall, but I see some who have lost weight/inches while doing it down the line. But that could be a mix of a lot of things. I just dont want to hurt my metbolism. Because I love exercising. And I dont want to hurt that down the line. Definitely going to do more research!