Daily Chat: 7/8/14 - When do you weigh yourself?

Options
mamacoates
mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
I saw a great newsfeed post this morning:
I giddily hopped on the scale wanting a dramatic decrease (yes it has only been a day, no I am not realistic), and gained two pounds :( BUT I do fluctuate during the day and I think I should only weigh myself once or twice a week since this is a slow process... what do you all think?

Here was my answer:
I weigh in daily - first thing every morning. But I also track my daily weight and use it as a data collection tool. I have been doing this for a year via MFP and I enjoy analyzing the data and reviewing the charts and graphs and have learned a lot about myself and my body in the process. As a result, I don't get worked up about a pound or two fluctuation because I can always go back and analyze the longer term trend. As long as the trend is DOWN, I am a okay. I think the whole approach that I use to daily weigh-ins also helped me to detach from the emotionalism of the process. Weight-loss is math and science. Plus it really helped me be accountable during the holidays last year - knowing that if I was not mindful of what I was doing/choosing, it didn't matter if I logged it or not because it was still going to show up in my data collection - based on evidence. HA! But this approach is not for everyone. Folks looking for validation through the scale would not do well with this approach.

What do you think about this topic? When/how often do you weigh yourself and how do you use this information?

While you're here, share with us how your day is going!!

Replies

• gsheppy
    gsheppy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Funny. Every time I weight myself more then once a week, I freak out. I honestly know that the numbers are going to change durning the week but still find myself on that darn thing. I keep it to Friday mornings.

Other then that, trying to get all my steps in.
  • gsheppy
    Options
    I just walked to my husbands friends house and back. My friend lives the next town over 2 miles away. It took me almost 2 hours. I am so proud of myself. My husbands friend thought I was crazy.

I walked 21410 steps and 10 miles.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I set Sunday as my day in the hope that I won't go mad on a Saturday!
  • LStonePTL
    LStonePTL Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily... It helps me stay accountable and be more conscious of what I put in my mouth. It just works for me.
  • mrsme1008
    mrsme1008 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily - every morning. Sometimes I skip a day if I've eaten something "bad" the day before. LOL. I weigh daily just to keep on track. I know that the weight will fluctuate, and it often does, but I look back at what I've eaten and/or what workout I have or have not done and take it from there. I do an "official" weigh in on Friday mornings and that's the one I log in.
  • chloe2300
    chloe2300 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every 10-14 days, it'd probably be more often if I had accurate scales at home (ours underestimate by like 6lbs which was great until I realised they were just being kind lol).
  • mamacoates
    Options
    Thanks all, for sharing your individual approaches to data management! Genn - wow, you are awesome!! 10 miles in one day ... sounds like you are ready to start training for a half marathon girlie, girl!!
  • Danyell1205
    Danyell1205 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with weighing myself! There are scales everywhere at my job so I would get on it whenever I saw one. It wasn't until my clothes started to fit me "right", that I decided not to obsess with the numbers on the scale but how my clothes fit me. Now I weigh myself in the mornings maybe twice a week.

I have recently fell off the wagon and gained 4-5 pounds back????.
    Happy that I joined these groups to get suggestions and motivation!
  • gsheppy
    Options
    For those who weight everyday question, do you log in Mfp?
  • mrsme1008
    mrsme1008 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For those who weight everyday question, do you log in Mfp?

No - I only log in the weight at the end of the week.
  • mamacoates
    Options
    Genn: Yes, I log it in MFP. That is where I am able to pull the graphs from (Reports) and see the trend over time. Perfect example, I did not weigh myself the whole time I was in SLO last week, and I was so worried that all the crap we were eating was going to pack on the pounds when I got back. Yesterday morning I weighed in (first morning back home) and I was ecstatic to see I actually lost a pound. Whoopee! All the walking at Cal Poly and sightseeing in the area (plus lots and lots of water) really paid off!! So now I'm just wanting to keep it going. But if I had been up a pound or so, I could look back at my diary and identify all the extra carbs, salt, etc. and not be so hard on myself.

Thankfully, the licorice is all gone, along with the rest of our "road trip stash" and it is back to work for me today with my Greek yogurt and protein bagel. :flowerforyou:
  • gsheppy
    Options
    Thanks for the info