Hashi & bone health

Options
allergictodiets
allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
Have any of you had a check for levels of osteocalcin in blood? It is a marker for the bone formation process. Mine has been checked for the last two years and has always been elevated - meaning that I have a bone turnover of a teenager ( I do not have my results with me, but it is twice the upper normal level for my sex and age group ). I have seen three orthopedist already, they all seem to have the "wait and see what happens" attitude. When it was first measured I had a severe Vit D deficiency and have been taking Vit D supplements ever since. My levels are now within normal range.

Replies

• Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have not been checked for any of that (but after your post I will!!)

Actually, my podologist (The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention
    of diseases of the human foot) first suspected Hashimoto and asked for a thyroid ultrasound because I had some weird pains in my foot. What a great doctor!!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Actually, my podologist (The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention
    of diseases of the human foot) first suspected Hashimoto and asked for a thyroid ultrasound because I had some weird pains in my foot. What a great doctor!!

It is one of the reasons I posted the question - I have been having pains in my toes recently. They are not severe and not always there but I am getting worried.
    I had a bone density test a couple of months ago but it showed no abnormalities ( i.e. osteoporosis ).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I'll ask at my next GP appointment.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A little different situation but still in the lines of bone loss and or health... my recent trip to the dentist shows I have bone loss in my jaw.. and a couple of slightly loose teeth.. one ended up being pulled. My Vitamin D level was 19 for too long and I have bone loss.. without Vit D you can’t absorb calcium like your suppose too.. and with Hashi's absorbing vitamins in your guts is difficult. Esp if you have leaky gut or colitis due to the autoimmune effects on your bowels. Anyways.. he went on to say I should have a bone test done.
  • Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    omg ... I'll see if I can do some of those tests over here.
    Thanks for the info