Metformin

Options
Has anyone ever tried Metformin to combat PCOS?

My Dr just prescribed it to me (although I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic, my sugar levels are healthy) to help regulate my hormones.

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin when I first found out about my PCOS nearly 6 years ago. It DID help. But I had TERRIBLE side effects. I took myself off of it and decided to pursue my insulin resistance problem with diet and exercise. I just hated taking that dang pill when I knew it would make me super sick to my stomach all day. I do a lowcarb/ Keto diet with exercise now and it completely treats my pcos! I even have normal ovulatory cycles now!!!! For the first time ever!!!!
    Now don't get me wrong, I know several people who take metformin and have NONE of the side effects! Try it out, if you like it and it works for you then go get it girl!!! Keep us updated! And Good luck winning this Battle! YOU WILL!
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, and within a month of starting metformin (500mgs daily) I lost 30 pounds. It did make me nauseous at times, but it also greatly reduced my appetite. Some days I didn't feel so well, other days I was ok. I noticed that it put me in a bad mood at times. Probably because my sugar was low, and I wasn't eating enough. Unfortunately, I stopped taking it for a while, and once I restarted it, I needed a higher daily dose. I was put on 500mgs 3x daily, and experienced terrible diarrhea. I didn't lose weight like I had before, and my appetite was the same. HOWEVER, I will say that I believe metformin helped me become a mother. It also caused my periods to be more regular, without the assistance of birth control. Just a warning, but know that it MAY be different for you. You may not experience any problems.
  • Tiffanizz1e
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and prescribed Metformin for the first time at 24. I was on it for a year... 500mg 4x daily. During that time, I was also working out with my husband daily -- lots of cardio per doctor's orders. I lost about 45lbs. The prescription ran out and I was unable to get it filled without an appointment with my doctor, who... was never available. Needless to say, I ended up changing doctors.

My new doctor (I am now 26) has put me back on Metformin -- 500mg 2x daily, but I have been slacking off in the exercise department. I have been on the Metformin for just over 8 weeks and without changing ANYTHING diet-wise and exercising MAYBE twice a week (like I said, I've been lazy... trying to gear back up!!), I have lost about 6lbs.

Metformin isn't the be all and end all, and it can come with some nasty side effects. I suffered TERRIBLE nausea for awhile, but I have either become immune or just gotten used to it. It can help regulate you and unlock the door to weight loss for those struggling with it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Metformin is not for treating PCOS. While it often gets used as such, PCOS is an off-label usage. Metformin does one thing, and one thing only -- increase insulin sensitivity in the liver. By doing that, it decreases the level of insulin in the bloodstream. If your doctor put you on Metformin without getting your insulin tested (not glucose, the glucose and insulin tests are two different things, and glucose level is not an accurate indicator of insulin level), get a new doctor. You're shooting blindly in hopes of seeing other effects if you don't have the insulin numbers. If you get other benefits (regular cycles, weight loss, etc), it's because the Metformin did its job of lowering your insulin level, which, in turn, rebalanced the rest of your hormones. (For those that are interested, I go into quite a bit of detail on Metformin, Insulin, and PCOS in my blog, here -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Dragonwolf/view/pcos-insulin-and-metformin-614886 )

2. You can have normal blood sugar and still benefit from lowering your insulin. I'm this way. My fasting glucose last I tested it was 83 -- well within the normal range. My insulin, though? 19. The cutoff for "high" is 20. I can also tell it's high, because I can't lose weight. It's only when I can get it down and keep it there do I lose weight and have normal cycles.
  • misschristineelizabeth
    Options
    Hello ladies, I thought I'd chime in and share my experience with Metformin.

I began taking it at age 19, 500 mg 4x daily. I took it until I was 22, then stopped due to side effects and what not. During this time, I did not lose weight, but I did not gain weight until my last semester of college when I was binge drinking, eating fast food daily, and going out to eat often. My weight was stable around 220 lbs throughout most of college.

Since stopping Metformin at age 22, my weight has ranged from 208-270 pounds (I'm almost 28 now at 270 lbs). The last time my insulin was tested (a year ago) it was 13.6, and my glucose is good (for now). I experimented with a low carb/paleo/ketogenic diet this year, one month I lost 2 lbs, the other month I lost 0 lbs. the month I lost 0 lbs, I was eating less than 20 total grams of carbs per day, exercising a couple times a week, and eating 1000 calories below my maintenance level.

So, when my doctor suggested Metformin a week ago, I decided to give it another go! I'm not sure what my current insulin level is, but I'd be willing to bet it's worse than it was a year ago, due to my 25 pound weight gain this past year!

To reiterate what dragonwolf said, Metformin is to a weight loss drug, but if you're insulin resistant, it can help your body function more like a 'normal' person's. I believe this is why my weight was stable during most of college (on Metformin) and why I've struggled to lose weight lately despite a lower calorie, ketogenic diet (off Metformin).
  • Reepir
    Reepir Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for over a year at 500 to 850 mg daily. Any but the 500 extended release made me extremely nauseous and I found it hard to continue taking it. By changing to the 500 EX I have been able to stay on it and it helped me with dropping 25 pounds in 40 days with my extremely strict Keto intake.