Hard Time Getting Protien Down

A person can have only so many eggs, bacon (not really!), cheeseburgers, chicken wings and thighs, and liverwurst (my favorite). Some cheeses has more carbs than you might think, so I cut that down. I am not able to eat a steak a day either. So what do people eat. I'm getting tired of cold cut and cheese roll ups.

I used the calculator for 5'9" 280lbs man. My target Protein is 82g, target fat is 136g and carbs are 20g for 1630 calories a day. This is supposed to help me lose 2lbs a week (just by calorie count, not taking into account ketosis). I can hit the calorie number, usually below, but can't consistently stay within the nutrient ratio of 5/20/75.

Eating more fatty items, when not hungry, just to drive the ratio in the right direction seems counterproductive.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    I get my fats first, protein next and carbs are usually veggies. I drink heavy cream shakes or latte. My diary is open, last two weeks might be different because I am experimenting. I eat everything from chicken, creamy pasta sauces, cheese cakes, sea food, steaks, pork, ribs. It's no different than a regular meal minus carbs and fat can come from coconut oil, butter or heavy cream, eating bacon and steak is boring and can be hard to sustain.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    The only dairy I'm doing is hard cheese and then only about 2 oz./day. My chief source of pure fats are grass fed butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon grease. Once I started using these items with every food I prepare I found that it's very easy to get to 75% of my calories from fat. Keeping protein in check can be difficult, but choose the fattier cuts of meat (i.e. 75/25 ground beef, ribeye) and wild fish (salmon, sardines, mackerel). My "go to" nuts are macadamias, brazil, pecans, and almonds (but I don't go "nuts" on the nuts).

Another "trick" I use is bone broth. I make the bone broth and then refrigerate it. Once cold, the fat solidifies as a top layer. This makes it really easy to add as much fat to a mug of broth as you may need to get your macros where you want them. Just weigh the fat with a digital scale. I have also stolen the emulsification trick from bulletproof coffee by adding butter to my bone broth and blending it in a bullet blender. This creates a wonderful frothy mug of buttery bone broth - really yummy, but I've found that in the hot Summer months it's not always a great pick. ;)
  • MzSmythe
    MzSmythe Posts: 32 Member
    Have you tried making some of the recipes on the Caveman Keto blog?

I think this one is fantastic for getting the protein in!

http://cavemanketo.com/cheesy-chicken-casserole/

You can make it without the green salsa to bring the carb-count down, and if you do, it's great cold with a green salad for lunch. The recipe makes 8 servings, but if I've struggled to get my protein in during the day at work, I just double up.

Here's the breakdown (though worth putting it in as a recipe on MFP based on the type of cheese/sour cream that you use)

Nutrition Information
    Serves: 8

Serving size: ⅛th
    Calories: 351
    Fat: 17
    Carbohydrates: 7
    Fiber: 1
    Protein: 34

Prep time: 15 mins

Cook time: 25 mins

Total time: 40 mins
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    I drink heavy cream shakes or latte.

This! I purchased a very low carb (2 grams) whey protein powder and make a heavy whipping cream shake. I have found that if you mix one scoop with 4 ounces of water and then add the pint of HWC, there is no clumping. Without the little bit of water you make Whipped Cream that you have to eat with a spoon just from mixing in a blender bottle. Watch your calories though! Consuming this entire shake is worth 1740 calories!
  • DeClaude
    DeClaude Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies. Please keep the ideas coming..
  • SnowFlinga

This! I purchased a very low carb (2 grams) whey protein powder and make a heavy whipping cream shake. I have found that if you mix one scoop with 4 ounces of water and then add the pint of HWC, there is no clumping. Without the little bit of water you make Whipped Cream that you have to eat with a spoon just from mixing in a blender bottle. Watch your calories though! Consuming this entire shake is worth 1740 calories!
    Just watch out on the dairy. It's been found to be insulogenic beyond what the net carbs would otherwise seem to indicate. I've found for myself that it kicks off major hunger cravings a couple hours after consuming it. I used to be really big on the cream cheese and heavy cream. I cut that stuff out and found following a keto WOE so much easier. Sticking to only butter and hard (well aged) cheeses seems to be fine for me.

Just watch out on the dairy. It's been found to be insulogenic beyond what the net carbs would otherwise seem to indicate. I've found for myself that it kicks off major hunger cravings a couple hours after consuming it. I used to be really big on the cream cheese and heavy cream. I cut that stuff out and found following a keto WOE so much easier. Sticking to only butter and hard (well aged) cheeses seems to be fine for me.

Did you measure your blood glucose levels? Heavy cream is pure fat with hardly any carbs. People stop losing for other reasons and think it's the cream and cheese ,

When I am travelling , I get around 1500-1800 cals from heavy cream per day. I even have the venti heavy cream latte which is only 2000 cals.
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    The Atkins brand frozen meals are great for work, it's what I use. When I'm at home I make stuff I find on pinterest and other websites under the keto search.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Did you measure your blood glucose levels? Heavy cream is pure fat with hardly any carbs. People stop losing for other reasons and think it's the cream and cheese ,

With dairy, it's not the just carbs, but the protein. Casein has a uniquely high insulinogenic effect compared to other proteins. So protein-heavy cheeses could stall loss for that reason, though cream and fat-dominant dairy shouldn't.

Also, it's worth noting that insulin levels aren't inextricably tied to glucose levels. It's entirely possible to have any level of blood glucose and still have high levels of insulin.
  • Dragonwolf
    A person can have only so many eggs, bacon (not really!), cheeseburgers, chicken wings and thighs, and liverwurst (my favorite). Some cheeses has more carbs than you might think, so I cut that down. I am not able to eat a steak a day either. So what do people eat. I'm getting tired of cold cut and cheese roll ups.

I used the calculator for 5'9" 280lbs man. My target Protein is 82g, target fat is 136g and carbs are 20g for 1630 calories a day. This is supposed to help me lose 2lbs a week (just by calorie count, not taking into account ketosis). I can hit the calorie number, usually below, but can't consistently stay within the nutrient ratio of 5/20/75.

Eating more fatty items, when not hungry, just to drive the ratio in the right direction seems counterproductive.

What do you guys think?

How are you getting that number for protein? I'm also 5'9", though 240lb, and female, and 80g is the rock bottom amount of protein the Keto Calculator says I should be getting, and the 1g/lb of LBM calculation puts me at about 130g of protein at even the highest reasonable estimate of body fat percentage. You should be able to handle quite a bit more than 82g of protein.

That said, I second the "fatty drinks" notion. I've been partial to a whipping cream-heavy iced mocha as of late (not nearly as heavy on the cream as some of the responders here, though; I can't stomach that much cream at once), though Bulletproof Coffee is a good option, too. The coconut oil is great for aiding ketosis from what I've heard.

It really is a lot about adding fats to things -- avocado to a sandwich/wrap or salad, fatty cheese and nuts/seeds to salads, being liberal with the butter/coconut oil/bacon grease when frying/sauteeing things, etc.

Also, don't just go with the usual livestock options of beef, chicken, and pork. Branch out. Bison is phenomenal, and not really as lean as people say (seriously, make a meatloaf from ground bison and watch the meatloaf swim in the fat). Duck, venison, elk, etc. are all good options, too, and even if the cuts are similar, the taste and texture aren't. (To be fair, venison and wild game tend to be rather lean, but that's what butter and coconut oil are good for). And don't forget to go after the parts that people don't normally go after, like marrow.

With dairy, it's not the just carbs, but the protein. Casein has a uniquely high insulinogenic effect compared to other proteins. So protein-heavy cheeses could stall loss for that reason, though cream and fat-dominant dairy shouldn't.

Also, it's worth noting that insulin levels aren't inextricably tied to glucose levels. It's entirely possible to have any level of blood glucose and still have high levels of insulin.
    Wait heavy cream has protein. Protein is insulogenic but no where near even low glycemic carbs like greens. There are lot more things to worry about before coming to heavy cream.

What do you guys think?

How are you getting that number for protein? I'm also 5'9", though 240lb, and female, and 80g is the rock bottom amount of protein the Keto Calculator says I should be getting, and the 1g/lb of LBM calculation puts me at about 130g of protein at even the highest reasonable estimate of body fat percentage. You should be able to handle quite a bit more than 82g of protein.

That said, I second the "fatty drinks" notion. I've been partial to a whipping cream-heavy iced mocha as of late (not nearly as heavy on the cream as some of the responders here, though; I can't stomach that much cream at once), though Bulletproof Coffee is a good option, too. The coconut oil is great for aiding ketosis from what I've heard.

It really is a lot about adding fats to things -- avocado to a sandwich/wrap or salad, fatty cheese and nuts/seeds to salads, being liberal with the butter/coconut oil/bacon grease when frying/sauteeing things, etc.

Also, don't just go with the usual livestock options of beef, chicken, and pork. Branch out. Bison is phenomenal, and not really as lean as people say (seriously, make a meatloaf from ground bison and watch the meatloaf swim in the fat). Duck, venison, elk, etc. are all good options, too, and even if the cuts are similar, the taste and texture aren't. (To be fair, venison and wild game tend to be rather lean, but that's what butter and coconut oil are good for). And don't forget to go after the parts that people don't normally go after, like marrow.

1gm/ lb of LBM is biggest myth, it's 1g per kg, heck, Schwarzenegger swears by 1gm /LB protein for serious body builders not the normal guy on the street. Protein supplement companies have done a great job in brain washing that protein requirement. I had no problem gaining muscle at 80-100g of protein per day. I am a guy who does high intensity lifts. Body can produce it's own protein any where between 100-150 gm pet day. I recently bumped my protein to 150 g or more because I do two sessions a day.
  • Dragonwolf

What do you guys think?

1gm/ lb of LBM is biggest myth, it's 1g per kg, heck, Schwarzenegger swears by 1gm /LB protein for serious body builders not the normal guy on the street. Protein supplement companies have done a great job in brain washing that protein requirement. I had no problem gaining muscle at 80-100g of protein per day. I am a guy who does high intensity lifts. Body can produce it's own protein any where between 100-150 gm pet day. I recently bumped my protein to 150 g or more because I do two sessions a day.

I'm not going to get into a debate on the "proper" amount of protein needed on a per pound or per kilo basis, because that's a discussion unto itself. My point was

1) The keto calculator ( http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ ) provides minimum and maximum amounts that it recommends, which is .6g/lb or 1.3g/kg of lean body mass minimum and 1g/lb or 2.2g/kg maximum.

2.) I'm 40lbs lighter, with probably still a higher amount of body fat, and female (which means that I very likely have less lean mass by the sole virtue of gender differences). Therefore, even if you go by the theory that the low end of those two numbers are sufficient, his goal number should still be higher, because mine is that number, even though I very likely have less lean mass than him.

That's why I asked where he was getting that number, because, by using the same lean mass-based calculations, his range should be higher than mine. So, either he's using a different calculation (which is entirely possible), or he's not getting enough protein for the method he's using.
  • SnowFlinga
    I'm using the low end of the recommendation for protein from the Ankerl keto calculator. That puts me at right about 80g or so of protein/day and I'm lifting heavy once per day, 6 days/week. I haven't had any trouble with gaining strength and muscle mass while staying deeply in ketosis. Now maybe that may change for me down the road, but so far so good.

I know that if I exceed 100g protein/day that I'm getting into problematic territory for maintaining ketosis. Note that I'm male and currently at about 175 lbs with about 15 lbs. more to lose.
  • Dragonwolf

Wait heavy cream has protein. Protein is insulogenic but no where near even low glycemic carbs like greens. There are lot more things to worry about before coming to heavy cream.

I never said cream was something to worry about. I did say, however, that high-protein dairy can be something to consider when having trouble with weight loss. Cream is not high-protein. While it does have a little bit, it's very predominantly fat. It might make a difference if you're consuming it by the pint (at a whopping 10g of protein per pint), but otherwise, it's not really enough to cause concern for most people. In other words, I don't disagree with you that there are a lot of thing to worry about before the cream.

Protein, in general, isn't that insulinogenic compared to carbs, but the composition of dairy protein is different. The protein itself actually elicits an insulin response that's roughly double that of white bread (and I stand corrected, whey is the one with the more pronounced insulinogenic effect, not casein). So again, if you're consuming a lot of high-protein cheeses or other dairy, it is valid to consider minimizing your intake of them if you're having trouble losing weight and/or are prone to insulin issues.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/5/1246.full.pdf+html
    Who is Ankeri and why do I care about it? You need to experiment starting with low end protein or medium. There is no way of knowing how much protein some one needs by putting in numbers on a web site. Start with 1g/kg which is generic guideline for people who are active and bump it to 1.3 if it doesn't work. Its a slippery slope with protein for most once you hit 120g or even 100g if a person is not active. If the protein can't be synthesized it will be converted to carbs. Regarding the cream or any food you exclude should be based on how an individual responds, not a theory. After all theory says fats are bad, its not very hard for some one to poke their finger for blood and see how they respond to diary, cream, cheese etc. I have seen people just blame food groups based on theory for lack of weight loss, they start to eliminate different food and get bored with very limited choice, eventually giving up on a diet. I usually do n=1,2 experiment to either add or eliminate a food. Human body is very adaptable and every one needs to try out things and see what works for them.
  • Dragonwolf
    Who is Ankeri and why do I care about it? You need to experiment starting with low end protein or medium. There is no way of knowing how much protein some one needs by putting in numbers on a web site. Start with 1g/kg which is generic guideline for people who are active and bump it to 1.3 if it doesn't work. Its a slippery slope with protein for most once you hit 120g or even 100g if a person is not active. If the protein can't be synthesized it will be converted to carbs. Regarding the cream or any food you exclude should be based on how an individual responds, not a theory. After all theory says fats are bad, its not very hard for some one to poke their finger for blood and see how they respond to diary, cream, cheese etc. I have seen people just blame food groups based on theory for lack of weight loss, they start to eliminate different food and get bored with very limited choice, eventually giving up on a diet. I usually do n=1,2 experiment to either add or eliminate a food. Human body is very adaptable and every one needs to try out things and see what works for them.

Show me an at-home tool to directly measure insulin without having to send blood samples off to a lab and I would gladly go with n=1, trust me. As a woman with PCOS that includes elevated fasting insulin with normal blood glucose levels, I honestly would love nothing more than to have a way to monitor my insulin in the same way that one can measure blood glucose, because unfortunately, the two are not the same, and measuring glucose is, at best, a proxy measurement for insulin.

"Theory" doesn't say fats are bad, clueless journalists and politicians do. The scientific studies have repeatedly shown that fat (generally speaking) is neutral if not downright beneficial in numerous areas -- and have done so for the better part of the past century.

Those same scientific studies show that the protein composition in dairy raise insulin in an amount disproportionate to even to starchy carbohydrates, despite being low-GI. Now, unless/until I have a way to measure my own post-consumption insulin levels, I'm inclined to trust those studies and heed the information. If you don't want to, that's your prerogative. I'm just saying it's a valid thing to consider.

The same goes with "eliminating food groups." Aside from the fact that I didn't suggest eliminating food groups, but rather minimizing intake of rather specific foods (that, from the sound of it, wouldn't fit all that much into a "lower" protein diet, anyway). I find it rather ironic that someone in a keto forum is being critical of the suggestion to minimize the intake of certain foods, given that that's exactly what everyone who follows keto does. Additionally, as someone who doesn't consume much in the way of dairy in general -- and even less so the high-protein items -- I can assure you that I am not suffering from a lack of variety. And this is coming from someone who could practically live off of cottage cheese, milk, and yogurt, so it's not like I just don't like dairy.

Yes, my wondering where he got his protein number is based in part by "putting in numbers on a web site," though frankly, that's no different than going by the generic guideline you provided.

Here, I'll go by your generic guideline of 1g/kg of lean body mass:

My measurements say I have about 153lb of lean body mass. That equates to 68g at 1g/kg.
    Based on the information the OP gave, his lean mass is estimated at 167lb (accuracy may be rather low, I don't have any other information than height and weight), which would equate to 80g of protein.

Okay, this suggests that he used guidelines similar to yours, but did he, really? We don't know this yet, because he hasn't responded to my question of where he came up with that number (just like he hasn't indicated whether or not he's active, or what kind of activity he does). I was simply probing for more information and explaining my rationale for asking.

Additionally, from what I've seen, the "myth" is 1g/lb of total body weight, not lean mass (which makes a huge difference when a given person is overweight), and that that amount (~1g/lb LBM) is beneficial in retaining lean mass while attempting to lose weight through calorie restriction, though not so much is required when attempting to bulk.

Here's the article that I've seen cited when talking about this "myth" -- http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/ , which has references to my statement above that the extra protein is beneficial in a weight loss scenario. If you have others, particularly ones that state that 1g/kg of lean body mass is the best way to go, then I would certainly be interested in them.

Also, for what it's worth, I do find the 1g/lb of LBM to be on the high side. My general recommendation to others is to calculate it with that, but treat it as the upper bound and adjust downward based on their activity type and level. I personally have my protein set in MFP at about 110g (20% of calories), which has worked fairly well for me, though I'm not afraid to go higher should I feel the need.
  • DeClaude
    DeClaude Posts: 8
    Well thank you all for replying! I am a college prof. and as I say on the first day of class, spirited debate is good as long as it is respectful. the other thing I say is that assertions need to be backed up with references. That said, I love the discussion.

I re-entered my original numbers (shown below). The protein value just seemed too high to remain in ketosis. When I joined this page (MFP) I answered a few questions regarding goals and it came up with 82g. I just entered my weightloss (268 - down 7) and when I updated my goals it spit out lower calorie total 1580 and only 79g of protein. It does not seem to match up with the keto calc site, but I went with it as I was inclined to think a lower number was better anyway.

Here is the answer to some of the questions:

I used the keto calculator found here: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Here is the data I put in and the answer it spit out.

Male
    129 kg body weight (285 lbs)
    175 cm tall (5 feet 9inch)
    49 years 11 months old

2142 kcal Base Metabolic Rate

Sedentary. Typical desk job, little to no exercise.

2570 kcal total daily energy expenditure

40 % Body fat (I think they were being generous

With 40% body fat you have 77kg (171lbs) of lean body mass, and 52kg (114lbs) of body fat. This includes about 2.4kg (5.3lbs) of essential body fat that you must not lose.

Carbs 25 g daily amount of net carbs (You can change that number)

Moderate Protein
    minimum - no exercise chosen amount maximum - very active
    103 g minimum 125 g chosen 170 g maximum
    1.3 g/kg 1.6 g/kg 2.2 g/kg
    0.6 g/lbs 0.73 g/lbs 1 g/lbs

Here you can choose your caloric intake. Try a moderate deficit and only go lower if you feel comfortable after about a week.

lowest intake chosen intake maintenance intake
    66 % deficit 20 % deficit 0% deficit
    870kcal min 2056kcal 2570kcal max
    30 g fat min 163g fat g 218 fat max

Moderate Deficit: Fast weight loss with moderate difficulty.

Here are your personal macros:
    2056 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbohydrates (5%, 100 kcal)
    125 g Protein (24%, 500 kcal)
    162 g Fat (71%, 1456 kcal)
    125 g of protein seems over kill, bump up the minimum protein from USDA to 0.45-0.5g / LBM, or 1g of protein / Kg you will be fine. You need to start from there and bump it up if needed. Focus on what your goals are , fat burning, muscle mass or bulking. If you ignore the internet and talk to experts who are in to body building, or pro coaches who train athletes most of them laugh at normal guys consuming 1gm of protein per LBM. I personally had my best fat burning when I kept protein around 80 g per day and I have lot of LBM.