What do you say...

GraceCamD
GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
to people especially family members that insist something is wrong with you because your trying to lose weight and your "so small" and you don't need to lose any weight and what is wrong with you?? When you know you would feel better 10 lbs less...and then the clincher...."Are you sure you don't have an eating disorder?"

Replies

• riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    middle fingers to the sky. ;)

but no, i would just say that you are fine, and thanks for the concern.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    If it's someone I know well, I will explain that I am still working towards some body composition changes that are my own personal goals. If it's someone I don't know well, I don't say anything at all so I can avoid their comments and remarks.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    I just openly admit that it's vanity pounds and I know I don't need to, I want to.
  • shannonbrewelch
    shannonbrewelch Posts: 63 Member
    Be honest with them. Make sure you are trying to get healthy, not thinner. If that is your true goal, tell them that. Say you are just trying to make healthy choices and if you lose weight while you are doing it, then that is just what happens.
  • Lachelleofthesea
    Lachelleofthesea Posts: 24 Member
    I just don't tell them I'm trying to lose weight. My mom is particularly bad about shaming me into poor food choices.
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    to people especially family members that insist something is wrong with you because your trying to lose weight and your "so small" and you don't need to lose any weight and what is wrong with you?? When you know you would feel better 10 lbs less...and then the clincher...."Are you sure you don't have an eating disorder?"
    Yes! thank you! so its not just me. This has been so frustrating and hurtful, I cant believe the people who want to pipe up and say something about how I'm too skinny or doing something unhealthy to my body. I can't get over the number of people who point out the food on my plate being diet food (vegetables), as if you'd point to someone's plate with chips and call it fat food. I haven't been saying anything, in fact more often than not I down some ice cream or chocolate, which makes me even more mad! lol. I feel like I'm under a microscope, I'm getting married next month and everyone thinks I'm on a diet or I'm trying to loose weight when really I'm just toning up and eating healthy. I'm taking *great* care of my body, and in a strapless gown I'd like not to have bat wings and that weird side boob pancake, you know?? Plus getting hitched means my child bearing years are fast approaching, and I'd like to go into them fit and healthy, since when is this anyone's business but my own?
    The things I'd like to say are very hurtful (because I feel hurt). So what do you say?
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    I haven't been saying anything, in fact more often than not I down some ice cream or chocolate, which makes me even more mad! lol. I feel like I'm under a microscope, I'm getting married next month and everyone thinks I'm on a diet or I'm trying to loose weight when really I'm just toning up and eating healthy. I'm taking *great* care of my body, and in a strapless gown I'd like not to have bat wings and that weird side boob pancake, you know?? Plus getting hitched means my child bearing years are fast approaching, and I'd like to go into them fit and healthy, since when is this anyone's business but my own?
    The things I'd like to say are very hurtful (because I feel hurt). So what do you say?

A bewildered-looking blink, appropriately frosty smile, then "how kind of you to take an interest" followed by an immediate changing of the subject. Repeat as necessary until they realize you're not going to engage in discussion about the topic.
  • GraceCamD
    LOL.....
  • GraceCamD
    Thanks all....I just had vacation with family and have to admit I was to chicken to stand up to them....so I ate what they did....and freaked when I got home.....but did some damage control and thank Goodness did not gain weight...but next time I will take some of your suggestions....I don't know why its harder with family....anyone else I would say jump off a building...lol...
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Since my exercise workload is so high I still take in more calories than my sister. However if I know I'm going over to her house I plan ahead to have extra calories to eat that night. It is frustrating how she tries to shove an extra piece of pie on me when I notice she only had a bite of hers..... Family is tough because they love you unconditionally. So trying to explain yourself is futile. I just talk about my personal fitness goals of trying to lift more or better endurance etc. avoiding any calorie talk. Just eating clean and making healthier food choices. Nobody can argue that!
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Usually I say -I was thinner las summer, and want to get back to that weight and into my favorite garderobe.

Having already had that weight in the past kind makes it more acceptable. I'm tired of feeling talking about it, having to justify myself.
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    I show them the fat around my waistline and tell them I don't care that much about how much I weigh, but I want to get toned up.