I think I'm loosing too much weight too fast.

Options
MikeCrazy
MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
I'm not here to brag or make anyone feel bad, I am actually worried about hurting myself. I've always had trouble gaining weight till recently, then suddenly I gained like 30 lbs over a few months. Now, in the last 21 days, I've lost about 20 lbs. I don't feel hungry usually, so IDK what's up. I grew up eating a near keto diet, as that's what I craved, so I don't know if that has anything to do with this. Also, I have almost never craved sugar or bread, they are almost sickening to me. According to the keto calculator, I need almost 2400 cal to maintain my weight, I've only been able to eat close to that much once or twice.

BTW, my body fat percentage went from 22.1 to 17.1, in this same time, according to an electronic test, calipers, and measurements/scale calculations.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• dperri471
    dperri471 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It does not sound like anything is wrong. I lost a ton the 1st month but new that it was mater and my body was getting used to the change into ketosis. You do need to watch your calorie count as well as your macro breakdown. Are you getting enough fat, protein and carbs? What are you percentages?
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It was the same for me. I lost almost 12 pounds in the first week, then about 5 pounds per week for the next few weeks. Currently, I'm losing at about 1-2 pounds per week and sometimes gaining a couple depending on how well I sleep and my cortisol levels. Give it a few more days, hit your percentages, and see if you level out a bit.
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stick with a 70% Fat - 20% Protein (lots of exercise) - 10 carbs. In reality, I think I am averaging 60% Fat 25% Protein and 15% carbs.

It's tougher than I realized to keep the carbs low. Things that I didn't know had them, have way more than I could imagine. I'm sitting at just above 190, with about 17% body fat, and I'd like to be at 200lbs with 10% body fat. That's my goal anyway. Right now I am fasting to get back into keto due to a family event.

I've noticed that I start entering keto almost as soon as my carb intake hits below 20%. I can literally feel the difference, and I start getting a little acetone breath at anything below 10%. So that's why I set my goal at 10%.

Feel free to look at my diary to see where I can tighten everything up. Also, I am still learning how to meal plan on this diet, so any tips would be nice...thanks everyone.
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? Sound like you need more muscle if you want to be heavier with less bodyfat.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    On a ketogenic diet you can expect to lose at MOST around 1kg (2 pounds) of fat per week. Any more than that is water weight. So if you're losing considerably more than that (like for example Jimmy Moore claims - like 100 pounds in three months if I remember correctly, that would be more than one pound a day or 7 pounds a week), My assumption would be that when you gained the weight it was more water than fat to begin with. Maybe you should discuss that with a physician - but in any case, you can expect the weight loss to slow down as most of the abnormal water retention is reversed.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    On a ketogenic diet you can expect to lose at MOST around 1kg (2 pounds) of fat per week. Any more than that is water weight. So if you're losing considerably more than that (like for example Jimmy Moore claims - like 100 pounds in three months if I remember correctly, that would be more than one pound a day or 7 pounds a week), My assumption would be that when you gained the weight it was more water than fat to begin with. Maybe you should discuss that with a physician - but in any case, you can expect the weight loss to slow down as most of the abnormal water retention is reversed.

I had no problem losing 3 lbs of fat on lot of weeks. Too many assumptions.
  • Andromache85
    Andromache85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As for the calorie goals- to maintain you can always try eating things that are higher in calories. A steak has many more calories than a chicken breast, for example. Nuts and seeds are calorific binges too, as are coconut products, cheeses, and heavy whipped creams.

Basically I'm giving you a list of items that I eat sparingly so I don't go over my limit. It sounds like you could go to town on these!
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options

I know that you despise science, but unless you excreted the body fat, you had to burn it off. And in the latter case, the fact remains that to burn off 3 lbs of body fat, you had to burn about 10,500 kcal more per week than you ate. Of course that's entirely possible, I'm just saying that it's not necessarily appropriate or healthy for most people.

BTW: I think I could explain such rapid fat loss scientifically - have a look at these possible contributors:

- Increased BMR due to keto-adaption: about 200 kcal/day
    - Underreporting/underestimation of workout/exercise energy expenditure: about 200 kcal/day
    - Counting moderate protein intake towards energy intake (as opposed to structural repair): about 400 kcal/day
    - Eating massive amounts of fat in one meal => some excretion of fat: maybe 200 kcal/day

I tried to be conservative with the estimates, and I'm already at 1,000 kcal/day which someone like you or me (physically active, keto-adapted) might have as a caloric deficit even when counter apps like MFP say that you're in caloric balance. Effects like these might help perpetuating the myth that you don't need a caloric deficit for continued fat loss.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

I know that you despise science, but unless you excreted the body fat, you had to burn it off. And in the latter case, the fact remains that to burn off 3 lbs of body fat, you had to burn about 10,500 kcal more per week than you ate. Of course that's entirely possible, I'm just saying that it's not necessarily appropriate or healthy for most people.

BTW: I think I could explain such rapid fat loss scientifically - have a look at these possible contributors:

- Increased BMR due to keto-adaption: about 200 kcal/day
    - Underreporting/underestimation of workout/exercise energy expenditure: about 200 kcal/day
    - Counting moderate protein intake towards energy intake (as opposed to structural repair): about 400 kcal/day
    - Eating massive amounts of fat in one meal => some excretion of fat: maybe 200 kcal/day

I tried to be conservative with the estimates, and I'm already at 1,000 kcal/day which someone like you or me (physically active, keto-adapted) might have as a caloric deficit even when counter apps like MFP say that you're in caloric balance. Effects like these might help perpetuating the myth that you don't need a caloric deficit for continued fat loss.
    See you already made so many assumptions about me, what apps I use, what I measure and how inaccurate they are etc. science is not making assumptions to fit opinions, it's about measuring, observing with out bias or opinions.
    Lmao, I despise vodoo math, which is why I do bod pod tests, body scans and metabolic tests frequently. The 3500 cal math doesn't hold up for me. My slowest fat burns were in the weeks with most deficit. If 3500 cal deficit was so applicable weight loss would have been easy. I don't even guess my RMR, TDEE, I listen to my body and then I get it measured every few weeks to see how my actual metabolism changed. But, what do I know, I just reduced my body fat from 35% to 16% in six months and I must be really sick for losing all the fat quickly. Science is not going on google and searching some random stuff. It's about measurements, data, experimentation. I despise assumption and more assumptions with out data.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    See you already made so many assumptions about me, what apps I use, what I measure and how inaccurate they are etc. science is not making assumptions to fit opinions, it's about measuring, observing with out bias or opinions.
    Lmao, I despise vodoo math, which is why I do bod pod tests, body scans and metabolic tests frequently. The 3500 cal math doesn't hold up for me. My slowest fat burns were in the weeks with most deficit. If 3500 cal deficit was so applicable weight loss would have been easy. I don't even guess my RMR, TDEE, I listen to my body and then I get it measured every few weeks to see how my actual metabolism changed. But, what do I know, I just reduced my body fat from 35% to 16% in six months and I must be really sick for losing all the fat quickly. Science is not going on google and searching some random stuff. It's about measurements, data, experimentation. I despise assumption and more assumptions with out data.

A personal, subjective n=1 experiment isn't science either.

Where did I ever say that you "must be really sick for losing all the fat quickly"? That came out of nowhere. I'm just saying that when you make the bold claim that you're losing body fat without a caloric deficit, you have no way of knowing whether it is actually true. Which btw is supported by your comment about "not even guessing" your RMR, TDEE and so forth. Take Peter Attia for instance, who reported that his RMR dramatically increased on a ketogenic diet.