IP Phase 4 vs. IIFYM

QueenOSpades
QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
I've been on Phase 4 now for about two months and I've been having a hard time (cheats here and there). The first two weeks are a challenge for your motivation and self restraint.

What is starting to weigh me down though is the ideal behind Phase 4. Fat at a certain time of day, carbs at a certain time of day, etc. Essentially my coach is telling me to not watch my calories but my portion control. I get the less stressful part of that but I'm slowly starting to see the scale pile up half a pound a week...

My question to all you IP Phase 4 out there: how have your results been with the IP Phase 4? Have you stuck to the IP Phase 4 philosophy or have you gone more for a IIFYM (If it fits your macros) approach? How succesful have you been? Has anyone out there intergrated more physical activities to their routines? How has that changed your nutrition routine?

Replies

• stritsch
    stritsch Posts: 1
    I started on phase 4 2 months ago and I am having the same problem. In fact I gained 6 pounds in 2 months so I am back to phase 1...:(
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    I never made it to phase 4, I tried phase 2 for about a week then quit the program completely. I found I gained back 5+ pounds while eating at a calorie deficit. When I researched it, it turned out when you come off a low carb diet you put on some water weight and some weight as your body replaces lost glycogens. I don't understand the science behind it (and won't pretend to).

The reason I mention this, is if Phase 4 still has you eating at a deficit and you're gaining weight - this could be why.
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    I've been keen on tracking my calorie intake in the past few weeks. Yes I have had cheats and cheat days but on regular days I sit between 1500-1800 cals/day on average. That should be maintenance mode.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that we must couple certain foods during certain times of the day. (I know that quantity also plays a big role). I can't see myself restricting myself to that degree for the rest of my life. Everytime I think of adding a few pieces of fruits to a salad that has cheese or avocado I cringe and tell myself:" Oh, that's reserved for cheat day".
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Since you wouldn't be in ketosis anymore - why not take a few weeks and just try to eat to your macros?
    The program will still be there afterwards if you wish to go back to it.
  • ljlantgen
    ljlantgen Posts: 48 Member
    I had a hard time with the certain things at certain times too. And to be honest with you and myself I ignore that. I eat the same breakfast I did with phase three. Have cut back my portions from my pre-diet days and avoid foods I know are unhealthy. I also ramped up my exercise by using my FitBit. I stay within a certain range which is my goal minus 5 pounds. 135-140. On weekends I don't track my food (gasp!) but I am conscious of what I am eating and make healthier choices. I started phase 4 in May and so far have done fine. I still go in to weigh ins once a month to as I told my coach "Keep myself honest". I have found if I am held accountable, to me that means stepping on a scale in front of someone, I will do better. I am not stressed about what I eat and am healthier than before and still at goal.
  • smileypeaches
    smileypeaches Posts: 31 Member
    You will gain back some weight in phase 4. It is usually water weight coming back. I am only on phase 1 still but I have been told and prepared for the fact that my body may/will put on probably 10 lbs once I get off the diet so I am already calculating this in to my goal weight. If you are that worried talk to you coach.
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    You do gain weight back in phase 4 if you follow protocol, but you should not gain inches.

I went into phase 4 last Fall and started doing 30 day shred plus getting in 10k steps a day. I abandoned phase 4 and just ate what I wanted but kept it at an average of 1500 calories a day. I actually lost a few pounds doing this. Maintained that regime and my weight till Spring, when I got sick and injured back to back. Stopped exercise all together, gained weight. Then a bunch of stressful stuff happened, and I ate/drank in response, stopped recording here on MFP, I am guessing 2000 to 3000 calories a day. Gained a LOT more weight, about 12 pounds.

And here I am back in Phase 1. I'm looking forward to the 30 day shred again and other JM workouts once I stop IP. I don't plan on sticking to phase 4. But I do plan on recording faithfully on MFP to keep daily tabs on my eating and exercise. And most importantly, my weight!