Post your ice cream/gelato recipes!

Options
13»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    That looks great, Jen.

My chocolate malt base is in the fridge. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be telling you all how awesome it is. It's a mash-up of Jeni's base with one of the Ben & Jerry's chocolate bases with some tweaks of my own.

I can't wait to hear how good it is!

I did forget in my recipe to add 2 tablespoons or so of vodka it helps with it not getting rock hard.

There's a few of Jeni's sorbets that I'm thinking of trying in the next few weeks, she has a blood orange and chocolate that sounds good
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That looks great, Jen.

My chocolate malt base is in the fridge. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be telling you all how awesome it is. It's a mash-up of Jeni's base with one of the Ben & Jerry's chocolate bases with some tweaks of my own.

I did forget in my recipe to add 2 tablespoons or so of vodka it helps with it not getting rock hard.

There's a few of Jeni's sorbets that I'm thinking of trying in the next few weeks, she has a blood orange and chocolate that sounds good

Hmmm. Might have to stop by the liquor store then. I hate hard ice cream.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    That looks great, Jen.

Me too! I love that it works now I can finally use this bottle of vodka I've had since Christmas
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    That looks great, Jen.

Me too! I love that it works now I can finally use this bottle of vodka I've had since Christmas

Mmmm boozy ice cream....

Make penne ala vodka!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    This isn't very pretty but it turned out SO GOOD. Thanks for the tip on the alcohol, Jen. I added a little Jack Daniels and I think it was great for the flavor.

Here's the recipe-- like I said it's a mixture of two recipes with my own tweaks.

Chocolate Malt Ice Cream (serves 10)

1.5 oz cream cheese, room temperature
    ¼ tsp salt
    2 cups whole milk
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
    1 ¼ cups half n half
    2 tbsp corn syrup
    133 grams sugar
    1 oz bittersweet baking chips, melted
    20 grams cocoa powder
    5 tbsp malted milk powder
    143 grams Whoppers candy, halved
    1 oz whiskey

Make a slurry out of corn starch and 2 tbsp milk. Set aside. Whip the cream cheese, cocoa, and salt with electric mixer until lumps are gone. Heat chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stir until completely melted. Add to cream cheese mixture and beat to combine. Bring the rest of the milk, half n half, sugar, and corn syrup to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook for exactly 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cornstarch slurry. Add slowly to cream cheese, beating to incorporate. Chill overnight.

When ready to freeze, whisk in whiskey and malted milk powder. Freeze according to ice cream machine instructions. Once ice cream has mostly frozen add the malted milk balls.

Calories: 257
    Macros: 37 carbs/ 11 fat/ 4 protein

3143b82f-772e-4856-9284-525027ecc797_zps446a38e9.jpg

2150c119-47b3-4761-9d57-eca3126fb901_zps1045f11f.jpg

Note: I made half a batch because I'm having trouble getting my ice cream maker to freeze any more than that. If yours is one of the counter top canister models (where you put the canister in the freezer overnight) it might be a good idea to half the recipe or to freeze it in batches.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    That looks fantastic Amber! Good choice on the whiskey addition!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    That looks great! Love the Jack Daniels add in. Oh next chocolate one I do I might add some JD Tennessee Honey
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Just saw this recipe on Talenti's facebook page and since we have lots of October birthdays I might have to make it and virtually celebrate with all of you:

Step 1: Find a friend. Step 2: Remember their birthday. Step 3: Throw them a party so you can make this gelato layer cake and eat it.

10703787_10152331221242055_3864112539385283025_n.jpg?oh=5ab891fe39b43be66a9af14a1220b90d&oe=54AF479D&__gda__=1421951842_cb298bf38e532585e0af562f1f41bccd

RECIPE:
    12 graham crackers
    1 pint Fudge Brownie gelato
    1 pint Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato 1 pint Sea Salt Caramel gelato
    1 tub frozen whipped topping Chocolate shell sauce
    Caramel sauce
    Crushed cookies.

1. Line a loaf pan with tin foil.
    2. Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom, laid tightly together.
    3. Scoop and spread a layer of Fudge Brownie gelato.
    4. Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the Fudge Brownie.
    5. Scoop and spread a layer of Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato.
    6. Place another layer of graham crackers on top.
    7. Repeat the process with Sea Salt Caramel gelato.
    8. Freeze for at least an hour to set gelato.
    9. Place a plate on top of the cake and flip over loaf pan. Remove tin foil.
    10. Frost gelato cake with whipped topping. Top with chocolate shell sauce, caramel, and cook- ies. Freeze for 30 more minutes before serving.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Just saw this recipe on Talenti's facebook page and since we have lots of October birthdays I might have to make it and virtually celebrate with all of you:

Step 1: Find a friend. Step 2: Remember their birthday. Step 3: Throw them a party so you can make this gelato layer cake and eat it.

10703787_10152331221242055_3864112539385283025_n.jpg?oh=5ab891fe39b43be66a9af14a1220b90d&oe=54AF479D&__gda__=1421951842_cb298bf38e532585e0af562f1f41bccd

RECIPE:
    12 graham crackers
    1 pint Fudge Brownie gelato
    1 pint Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato 1 pint Sea Salt Caramel gelato
    1 tub frozen whipped topping Chocolate shell sauce
    Caramel sauce
    Crushed cookies.

1. Line a loaf pan with tin foil.
    2. Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom, laid tightly together.
    3. Scoop and spread a layer of Fudge Brownie gelato.
    4. Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the Fudge Brownie.
    5. Scoop and spread a layer of Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato.
    6. Place another layer of graham crackers on top.
    7. Repeat the process with Sea Salt Caramel gelato.
    8. Freeze for at least an hour to set gelato.
    9. Place a plate on top of the cake and flip over loaf pan. Remove tin foil.
    10. Frost gelato cake with whipped topping. Top with chocolate shell sauce, caramel, and cook- ies. Freeze for 30 more minutes before serving.

My birthday is Nov 2nd. Please make that for me!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I can do that but you have to come visit since that won't make it being shipped
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1z6qoid.jpg
    Strawberry Ice Cream

This is the most recent ice cream I made. It was delicious.
    http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/strawberry-ice-cream/
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    qalsm5dk4chn.jpg

Recipe for chocolate ice cream with cocoa nibs and brandy (makes about 750g - 800g):
    153g milk chocolate
    500ml double/heavy cream
    100g sugar
    10ml brandy
    41g cocoa nibs
    Pinch of salt

Gently melt chocolate in a pan with the sugar and about 2/3rds of the cream.
    Add mixture to the remaining cream, add brandy + salt and refrigerate for about 3+ hours.
    Put in ice cream machine and add cocoa nibs gradually.

It's slightly adapted from 'The Perfect Scoop' by David Lebovitz. Personally, I think it's a bit too sweet, could do with more cocoa nibs (the original recipe suggests more, actually) and perhaps some muscovado sugar to replace some of the white sugar - to give it a bit more complexity. Still, it's delicious and I'd recommend it. Would also recommend the book, it's a great beginners guide to making ice cream and has some amazing recipes in it.

Oh, and the calories/macros are roughly, per 100g:
    552 cals
    48g fat
    29g carbs
    4g protein
    (I know they don't add up... don't ask :( )
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Might have already been mentioned, but if I'm really craving for ice cream but can't go out to buy, I freeze sliced bananas and blend it. Sometimes I add cinnamon/pb/chocolate. Kinda like a very thick smoothie, but it works for me!
    I also mix milk (1cup), sugar (1tbsp) and vanilla extract (1/2tsp) in a jar, leave it in the freezer and shake every half hour or so until the consistency is ice cream like.

Doesn't beat the real thing but great if you want something lownin calories or can't get ice cream! The ingredients I use are usually found at home, so it's pretty simple and easy :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    Might have already been mentioned, but if I'm really craving for ice cream but can't go out to buy, I freeze sliced bananas and blend it. Sometimes I add cinnamon/pb/chocolate. Kinda like a very thick smoothie, but it works for me!
    I also mix milk (1cup), sugar (1tbsp) and vanilla extract (1/2tsp) in a jar, leave it in the freezer and shake every half hour or so until the consistency is ice cream like.

Doesn't beat the real thing but great if you want something lownin calories or can't get ice cream! The ingredients I use are usually found at home, so it's pretty simple and easy :-)

There's only one rule in this group, that it's that we don't do frozen bananas or Arctic Zero and call it ice cream. :flowerforyou:

That said I've done the frozen banana puree. It's not bad. It just isn't a substitute for ice cream and it has comparable calories anyway. Especially if you add PB.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yoghurt with beaten stiff egg whites and sweetener and some vanilla bean or vanilla extract-tastes like heaven after 20 min in ice cream maker
  • Jag7694
    Jag7694 Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    This is my citrus sorbet recipe! It's great after a heavy meal!

10- medium oranges
    2 1/2 cups-water
    1 cup-sugar
    1/3 cup-fresh lemon juice (about 2)
    Zest from one orange

1. Cut peeled oranges in half and use a citrus reamer to get the juice until you get 2 2/3 cups. (If you want a little sweeter do 2 cups orange and 2/3 cup pineapple juice) repeat with lemons until you get 1/3 cup.
    2. Combine 2 1/2 cups of water and the sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to boil. Add orange zest, reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Strain mixture into a bowl to remove solids. Cool liquid completely.
    3. Add orange and lemon juice to the mixture and put in ice cream maker until frozen.
    4. Serve!!
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    R_Queenie wrote: »
    Will be trying this one VERY soon!!!

http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2013/04/30/3-ingredient-coconut-ice-cream-vegan-no-cook-totally-amazing/

3 ingredient Coconut Ice Cream!

Making this with Rumchata.