Options
    Thanks! Great info!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Your very welcome
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this excellent article. I especially like the section where she explains what to do with the information from blood sugar testing. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lizzy, very helpful and in an easy to understand fashion too. A great online resource for anyone needing support and advise.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Lizzym911, thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

Your post reminded me of a question that's been rattling around in my noggin for awhile. Does anyone have any information or a feel when you should test in a "non-standard meal" situation? For instance at various parties/BBQs, where food is ubiquitous and I'm constantly pecking at various offerings throughout the day (healthy choices and without over-indulging, I believe), wouldn't my blood sugar respond differently? If that's true, when should I test?

Any thoughts?
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Good question paul,

Everyone's (healthy choice) experiences will be a little different in this setting, and challenging to be sure when attempting to keep blood sugar target goals within range. Knowing how your blood sugars react to the various "healthy pecking offerings" can only come from those same choices you've made in the past.

If it were me, I would test an hour and a half after I've finished my last bite to learn if the choices I've made were good. If not? I would put those out of range test results in the past experience column for the next BBQ/Party I intend to enjoy and move on.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Your post reminded me of a question that's been rattling around in my noggin for awhile. Does anyone have any information or a feel when you should test in a "non-standard meal" situation? For instance at various parties/BBQs, where food is ubiquitous and I'm constantly pecking at various offerings throughout the day (healthy choices and without over-indulging, I believe), wouldn't my blood sugar respond differently? If that's true, when should I test?

Any thoughts?

I would test in a non-standard meal situation. 2 hours after the start of eating. It's still a little hard if you are pecking at food all day. You could randomly check your sugar. Usually you know what different types of food effect your blood sugar unless it's something new. Of course something with lots of carbs should make it rise. On the 4th of July I ate randomly during the day and I tried to test a few times during the day also.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You are all so very welcome, I'm always trying to find info and so happy to share.
  • life_enthusiast
    life_enthusiast Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

When I'm pecking through the day at big food events, I tend to listen to my instincts. If I'm about to have dessert after picking at food for a couple hours, I usually think "wonder what my blood sugar is?" That's when I whip out the tester and see where I'm at before having that dessert. Test randomly and see what you get. I've surprised myself many times and been able to eat that little bit of dessert, even though I questioned it. Better to know than to guess...that's my motto.