http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/price-of-the-platform/

Pretty good article I thought.

Good insight.

I still love PL :smile:

Replies

• carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great article. Lots of food for thought...

My thoughts: I do _not_ want to be an elite powerlifter. I do not personally think the risks/injuries/etc makes getting to that level worth it, for me.

On a related note, I've been looking more at Gymnastic Bodies after hearing Couch Sommer on a recent episode of Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution Podcast. Great stuff for pre-hab work and stuff Sommer calls "pre-strength", focusing on building ligaments and tendons that support the musculature. In particular, have added jefferson curls for my back and weighted shoulder dislocates for my shoulders.

It's only been a couple weeks and my back and shoulders are already feeling better (placebo effect?), and that's just with empty bar jefferson curls and 5# on a broomstick for the weighted shoulder dislocates.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed the article and even learned something. Thanks for posting.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've read some stuff about the negatives of steroid use before but not in relation to powerlifting, thanks for posting!
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    good article. lots of insight.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'd never go to their extremes but even at the low level the injuries are starting to creep in on me lately. I torn a pec some 15+ years ago which kind of killed my chances of being anything close to elite. But I do ok in local old guy masters divisions in my area. I also got a couple of bad knees, mostly from sports and running (military).

In my last comp a week and a half ago, I injured a tendon in my chest. It's not too bad but I'd say I'm at about 75% right now. Anyway, all this has me thinking this might be my last year in this thing if I want any kind of longevity as far as lifting weights (I'm 41 and been lifting since I was 12).

I'm going to do another comp in December and see how it goes. But I'm actually considering switching to competing in physique or bodybuilding competitions in the future. Been thinking of doing both (powerlifting in winter, physique in summer) but might just make a complete switch. Maybe these thoughts are just because I'm still injrured but I definitely will reassess in December. If I get hurt again, I'm probably going to have to make that switch.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm a currently injured powerlifter now prepping for first bodybuilding comp. Modified activity to suit but any sport has it's risks.

You may do less of the heavy stuff which can be easier on the joints and then you do more of the light stuff which is harder on the joints. Only got one body though so have to look after it!
  • jzou91
    jzou91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read this article a while back and really enjoyed it.

However, a lot of this may not necessarily apply to younger powerlifters today. We understand much more about recovery and nutrition now than we did 30-40 years ago. Of course if you squat 1000 pounds you're going to have some sort of joint issues but I don't feel as if in 20-30 years it will be as severe as the older lifters.