Injury 2 weeks before?

Options
dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
My 1st Duathlon is scheduled for August 2nd. I've been training faithfully every day, but this week, I've started to have a pain in my right hip. Started at the end of my run on Monday, and radiated down my leg. Felt fine after I finished. Then Tuesday, I had a 10min/10min/10min run/bike/run, and on the last run, it started hurting again. Wednesday, I had a 60 min bike, and towards the end, I could feel it tightening up. Yesterday, it wasn't painful, but I was aware there is something there, so I decided to not do the extra run scheduled and, after talking to my nurse mum, decided to forgo the yoga in favor of moist heat, tiger balm, Naproxen & rest. Last night, could not sleep on that side, and today, there is still some "issue" there. Rest day today & Sunday with Saturday's workout a 40 min bike & 30 min run scheduled.

Even though I know the rest is for the best, I'm feeling guilty about not taking the run yesterday. In my head, I'm already trying to "justify" in my head about tomorrow's work out....how I can still get something done, so I've not missed a work out, yet IKNOW I should probably rest these few days so I can do my du in 2 weeks.

Anyone else have come through this or something similar? Will it really matter if I "skip" a workout or 2 so close to my event date?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    No, 2 workouts missed isn't going to mess up anything. Honestly at this point you're not going to gain a ton of fitness and workouts are just going to keep you sharp. Technically it takes 1.5-2 weeks to reap the benefits of a workout.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just take the rest, I know my workouts prior to an event are just tuning form and focusing on comfort.

I just injured my left knee, so my race next sunday is off. :( Take the rest, address the issue and don't let it get worse.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've taken a few days off, and I'm thinking about even taking today, as well. Hip feels a bit better, but still "twinging" a bit & feeling a bit tight. Better safe than sorry, I guess. Tomorrow is a 20 min run/30 min bike/10 min run.