New to Keto, seeking advice

Hi every one, I have been in a low carb diet for a week now, also running for half an our every day and the results are amazing. Just lost 4lbs. I am here to seek advice about meals especially high fat one. My diary is public. I am a little bit concerned about which kind of fat should I be eating. You will notice i am having trouble meeting the 70% fat intake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Eat ALL the fats!

x-all-the-things-template.png

Seriously. There are really only a couple rules when it comes to fats:

1. Avoid artificial trans fats. That **** will kill you.

2. Balance Omega-6 fats (found primarily in nuts and seeds) with Omega-3 fats (found in grass fed beef, pastured eggs, and fatty fish), ideally at a 1-to-1 ratio.

3. Use saturated fats for cooking, particularly high temp cooking, and unsaturated fats for cold consumption (ie - salad dressings). This avoids oxidizing the more fragile unsaturated fats (particularly polyunsaturated), which is bad for your health.

Beyond that? Eat what fats make you happy, and make sure to get a variety. Yes, that includes saturated fat. In fact, coconut oil is 96% saturated fat, and is one of the best fats you can get your hands on.

Cook with it, eat it straight, make fat bombs, make bulletproof coffee for breakfast, eat fattier cuts of meat. These are but a few ways you can get more fat into your diet.
  • TwizzleBit
    TwizzleBit Posts: 23 Member
    Is there a specific ratio that needs to be met on lchf? This is my first time trying this method. I found calorie counting doesn't work nor fasting (amazingly)! Not because I couldn't stick with it, but it literally just didn't work.

I've got PCOS coupled with metabolic syndrome and having a heck of a time shifting the pounds. From the research I've done and from other pcos'ers, lchf seems to work for them as well as those with MetaS.

I've set my percentages at 10% carbs, 30% protein, and 60% fat with 1800 calories.

Don't mean to hijack, just curious as I'm also new to this WOE.

Thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Is there a specific ratio that needs to be met on lchf? This is my first time trying this method. I found calorie counting doesn't work nor fasting (amazingly)! Not because I couldn't stick with it, but it literally just didn't work.

I've got PCOS coupled with metabolic syndrome and having a heck of a time shifting the pounds. From the research I've done and from other pcos'ers, lchf seems to work for them as well as those with MetaS.

I've set my percentages at 10% carbs, 30% protein, and 60% fat with 1800 calories.

Don't mean to hijack, just curious as I'm also new to this WOE.

Thanks!

Given that you have PCOS, it's probably going to me more difficult to get the weight off (I share your pain).

That said, you'll want to make sure you monitor your insulin, as well as your glucose. This means a few extra considerations:

1. Even if you aren't looking for ketosis, you need to watch your protein intake (it's insulinogenic, and too much will raise blood sugar, so it's a double-whammy).

2. You also need to watch things for reasons other than just GI/GL. Namely, anything that raises insulin (ie- milk proteins) or has endocrine disruptors (ie - soy)

3. It may take longer in the LCHF/keto lifestyle to see results, because it may take some time for the hormones to rebalance properly to allow for losing weight.

That said, I'd say you can probably drop your protein down to 20-25% (about 100g or so) and still be able to maintain lean mass, though as it stands, you're already in the LCHF territory (though not necessarily into ketosis). Then, of course, increase fat accordingly.

More generally, protein should be kept constant around .5-1g/lb of lean body mass, and carbs and protein adjusted however a given person sees fit. In that respect, then, the "levels" go roughly as this:

1. 0-50g Keto (very low carb)
    2. 50-100g Low carb (non-keto)
    3. 100-150g Moderate carb
    4. 150-200g+ High carb

This is very rough and the exact lines will vary depending on who you talk to, but it's a general guide. Fat is adjusted up or down depending on the carb level, then. The exact ratios will vary depending on calorie intake (for example, 10c/20p/70f would be a lot more carbs and protein for someone who's eating 4000 calories than someone eating 1500).

tl;dr -- your percentages are more or less LCHF, though if you're looking for ketosis, you may need to decrease your protein and/or carbs a hair.

I highly recommend these two groups, as well --
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22228-keto-for-women
  • TwizzleBit
    TwizzleBit Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for this. Very enlightening. I've tried high protein in the past and I couldn't stomach it, but did have some results. Being as this is only around 100g of protein,I think I can manage this much better. Plus who doesn't love a bit of fat!?!?

I just read a horror story on another thread about someone over doing the very low carbs and ending up in the hospital. *sigh*

*goes to throw away her beloved soy beans*

Thanks again! :)