Please Critique my Deadlift Form

Options
Hi there. I have been lifting for almost two years, but have not dead lifted in probably six months because I always injure my back when I do, which usually leaves me pretty immobilized for at least a week each time. I have a hard time keeping my back straight and chest forward, and I've been working on some stretches for that. I happened to see a friend at the gym and asked him to film me, even though I was actually there for cardio and not lifting on this day.

So...I went with 65 lb just for the sake of form and because I hadn't warmed up. When I was deadlifting and got injured, I was doing about 95-105 pounds for sets of 5-8 reps (if memory serves). Can you guys take a look at my form and tell me what I'm doing wrong and why I keep getting injured? Thanks.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    You are too far from the bar, and your knees are to far forward. If you fix those it should help with the rest.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You are too far from the bar,

^
    this

once the weight gets heavy you are going to get really pulled forward/over which is putting more stress on your back. you are also limiting how much you can lift as the bar is away from your centre of gravity.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

some people have the knees a little forward, some peoples shin stays totally upright it depends on the length of limbs but the bar should be in contact with your shin.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    the bar is too far forward and totally how I injured my back when I first started lifting heavy. The bar should have contact with your legs the whole lift or at least stay very close to your body and have contact with your shins.

my set-up is:

bar over my midfoot
    bend knees until my shins hit the bar
    "engage" the bar - Ive seen it explained so well and I won't do it justice - but you basically pull the slack out of the bar. It engages your hips and core. Everything should be tight and engaged before you lift.

I have been trained to almost sit back in this moment. The first part of the lift (to my knees) I imagine that I am pressing the weight with my heels. It keeps the weight back in my center of gravity. Then I imagine that I am pressing the weight with my hips.

Its just as important to keep the weight close to your body and keep your body tight when you bring it down
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Agree with others, you're waaaaaay too far from the bar.

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA