Please help with my weight stall!

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)

64 inches, 139 pounds, 24 years old.
23% with upper body handheld measure, 33% with lower body scale. So I'm guessing somewhere in the middle of those two

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?

~1750 in the last 2 weeks. 1900 before that.

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)

This reflects my new diet of the past 2 weeks, where I upped my protein:
Protein: 108 Fat: 43 Carbs: 230

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?

Mostly. I don't measure vegetables and other low calorie items or I'd go nuts.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes

Do you take cheat days or days off?
I took 4th of July off, and it looks like I took two days off during finals time. I can tell you the Friday after finals (June 20) was definitely a high day! :drinker:

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
1lb over about 5 weeks. I lost ~13 pounds in 2009, which was the last time I lost much weight.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months?

I do step and strength twice a week, very intense stepping (heart rate often tops out above 200, and I asked my Dr. she said thats ok) with weight lifting or body exercise (pushup, wall sit etc) intervals. I also do pure step once a week, and pilates for ~30 minutes 6 days/week, which I will be upping to an 45 minutes in August. I tried weight lifting but couldn't stick with it.

I am on my feet most of my work day, since I am a cooking camp counselor at the Boys and Girls Club. I walk more than 12,000 steps a day, a few days a week are 17,000. This week has been a bit low because we had a heat wave here. I also try to run, hike, or do some other cardiovascular workout that isn't step once a week, but that doesn't always happen! (did a nice hike today though :smile: )

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
Since I started 5 weeks ago. I was eating well and exercising before that as well, although I was exercising much less. I lost 1.5 lb before 4th of July, then it came back and hasn't left. I logged most of the holiday weekend, and I don't think one BBQ should have been enough to do too much! I am happy with my strength gains, especially in my core from Pilates. No inches lost though.

Are you breastfeeding? No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? No. Went to the Dr. and got full blood work recently. All the tests came back normal, my RBC were on the large end of normal though. Not sure if that means anything.

Also, it seems from reading that you aren't too big on snacks, but I need one before and after workouts since thats how I work out best :) Also since I run a cooking camp I often have tastes with the kids of what we made, which I log as a snack. 3 big meals doesn't work as well for me most days.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Doing a little bump.

Also wanted to note that while I'm home I weigh all my food, but if I'm at a friends house I don't because that would be very strange! So monday I ate at a friends house, tried to overestimate what I ate and then left a bit extra today in case that didn't cut it.

Also I let my fitbit note my exercise, so I don't log any specifically. I guess that means my weights in step and pilates aren't counted, but I haven't worried about those. I have a HRM but it hasn't worked for me in a while, it can't get an accurate read. It says that I'm dead since I have no heartbeat :laugh:
  • bonniejo
    Options
    So with some advice from my step teacher, I'm upping my calories to 1800 non step days and ~2000 in step days. I've been so hungry lately that I've been thinking about quitting this whole thing. Maybe I'll have more results at a higher calorie intake. So thats what I'll be doing unless I hear otherwise :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding - we should get to this soon.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding - we should get to this soon.

No problem, just wanted to leave an update instead of just "bump"! Thanks for taking the time to help me out :)
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Bump. Weight still the same at 139.6. No change since I started :(
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Bump?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In. I completely missed this thread, will take a look now.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The following is what I would do were I in your position.

Average gross intake is as follows from July 1st to current:

Given your stats and activity it would be perfectly reasonable to just make a slight reduction to the above. Your protein and fat intake look fine to me.

The next adjustment I'd consider would be to set your intake as follows for the next two weeks and monitor changes in weight and how you feel:

1750 kcals
    205 carbohydrate
    55 fat
    110 protein
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Ok, it's been about 2 weeks. Seeing some good scale progress, hasn't shown itself with the measuring tape yet but it's early for that. Down to 136.4 at the lowest recorded, but that fluctuates to about 138 after a high sodium day or if muscles are sore and retaining water. Still, going in the right direction! I keep going a bit over on fat and protein, but not by a ton. Trying to get the right balance can be a bit tricky. Calories have been in alignment, with any small deviations (150kcal or less) accounted for the following day.

I'll have to make some judgement calls in the next month or so. Going camping this weekend, dance event labor day weekend (involving about 4 hours of lindy hop a day, which is a pretty vigorous dance, and also involving lots of eating out), and going to London in September. Lifestyle will be all over the place, but I should be pretty active during all these periods. October will see a return to normalcy with school restarting. I will repost if I need assistance with changes in activity level when school starts (if anything I will be more active), but I hope I will be able to figure it out on my own. Thank you for the advice!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Excellent. Locking this thread for the time being as it seems you are set for now. You can PM me if you would like to post additional information in the future.
This discussion has been closed.