I call BS

Options
13»

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Learning more everyday :) so this accurate system of OwnCal is only accurate if you are as out of or in shape as they think you are? I'm actually trying to focus more on building muscle and flexibility to support my ligaments and joints and do low impact cardio, so I can increase cardio as my body gets stronger - I'm trying to prevent injury and I have learned about my limits in physical rehabilitation a year ago (no running or cycling with resistance because of the knees) - and how not to ignore my body. Pushing myself harder in my case is by example going fuller into my Yoga poses that require strength and/or flexibility because I can after building up to it, and not so much about increasing HR. I also do Kettlebell training twice a week, Tae Bo Cardio once a week. Yoga 7 times a week (of which 3 times higher intensity added). My Blackroll myofascial massage daily.

I looked up how to calculate the V02max online, and according to the calculation I'm in the "good" zone. I'm not sure how to adjust for that on the HRM measurements, doesn't help English is my second language ;) will do another attempt re-reading the other topic tonight.

My (now discontinue) Polar F11 had Owncal. It has a built in test to estimate vo2 max, I thought that was part of Owncal? Anyway this test, you do it after a rest day and before you have any caffeine ideally (per instructions). You lay still while it runs the test and it automatically enters your resting heart rate and an estimated vo2max. So if yours is similar (I know other models do this, but not some of the less expensive models), it is probably already working with a vo2max estimate. I am not sure how accurate this method is, I've tried some active tests to estimate my vo2max and always come up with a lower estimate than my Polar comes up with (about 5 points lower, Polar will credit me with 45-48 vo2max and the other methods 35-40). Anyway, in my Polar you enter a number not "good", but the test gives you a description it tells me I am "elite" (which I am not, I have decent aerobic fitness but am not an endurance athlete). It is under a second layer of optional settings in my watch--that level allows me to enter a vo2max number and a maximum heart rate if I want to overwrite what Polar had estimated. Maybe I am not clear what owncal is, my watch does have it but if it doesn't include the vo2max estimate it may be a feature I never really used. I mainly use my F11 for water exercise now and use a bluetooth Polar H7 and Digifit (and my phone) for dry land workouts now, so this is just from memory.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Learning more everyday :) so this accurate system of OwnCal is only accurate if you are as out of or in shape as they think you are? I'm actually trying to focus more on building muscle and flexibility to support my ligaments and joints and do low impact cardio, so I can increase cardio as my body gets stronger - I'm trying to prevent injury and I have learned about my limits in physical rehabilitation a year ago (no running or cycling with resistance because of the knees) - and how not to ignore my body. Pushing myself harder in my case is by example going fuller into my Yoga poses that require strength and/or flexibility because I can after building up to it, and not so much about increasing HR. I also do Kettlebell training twice a week, Tae Bo Cardio once a week. Yoga 7 times a week (of which 3 times higher intensity added). My Blackroll myofascial massage daily.

I looked up how to calculate the V02max online, and according to the calculation I'm in the "good" zone. I'm not sure how to adjust for that on the HRM measurements, doesn't help English is my second language ;) will do another attempt re-reading the other topic tonight.

My (now discontinue) Polar F11 had Owncal. It has a built in test to estimate vo2 max, I thought that was part of Owncal? Anyway this test, you do it after a rest day and before you have any caffeine ideally (per instructions). You lay still while it runs the test and it automatically enters your resting heart rate and an estimated vo2max. So if yours is similar (I know other models do this, but not some of the less expensive models), it is probably already working with a vo2max estimate. I am not sure how accurate this method is, I've tried some active tests to estimate my vo2max and always come up with a lower estimate than my Polar comes up with (about 5 points lower, Polar will credit me with 45-48 vo2max and the other methods 35-40). Anyway, in my Polar you enter a number not "good", but the test gives you a description it tells me I am "elite" (which I am not, I have decent aerobic fitness but am not an endurance athlete). It is under a second layer of optional settings in my watch--that level allows me to enter a vo2max number and a maximum heart rate if I want to overwrite what Polar had estimated. Maybe I am not clear what owncal is, my watch does have it but if it doesn't include the vo2max estimate it may be a feature I never really used. I mainly use my F11 for water exercise now and use a bluetooth Polar H7 and Digifit (and my phone) for dry land workouts now, so this is just from memory.

I'll piggy back on this since I forgot to respond.

That OwnCal is indeed their name for VO2max, they say close, but since an estimate they don't totally claim it's the same. Though the stat they fill in from the test is indeed called VO2max.

With the resting HR, proper selection of athletic level you pick too, it's actually pretty decent in the study it came from, until you get to higher end of VO2max, then it starts to lose it. If you have tested HRmax, even better. Polar does 220-age and a HR variability thing that actually doesn't rate well in studies.
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16168867

As to estimating it, that formula that Polar uses in their self-test was actually more accurate than sub-maximal VO2max tests you could take.
    Now, you could also test to the max, if fitness warrants it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/testing-hrmax-vo2max-with-max-treadmill-test-643927

So indeed, OwnCal only as good as the figures they use. If I input tested VO2max and HRmax, it is indeed really close to results of VO2max test formula for calorie burn.

Which you could actually do yourself if you were doing enough cardio to make a big difference.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/getting-your-personalized-calorie-burn-formula-663625
  • m1ssannthropy
    m1ssannthropy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tried calculating without HRM (I knew my lowest HR was 66, but in fact it has now become 60 I found out using the fit test on the RS300X) using this one online http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max and got 37 - which is the same number on the RS300X (I'm borrowing one temporarily to test the differences). My HRmax is187 (tested during cardio) though 183 is the recommended standard. The site recommends me to reach 40 V02max, and in all the other health comparison V02max 37 is in the "good" range just like RS300X says.

I checked out your blog and I will have to chew on that, I can't run (yet), but especially not on treadmills I'll lose my balance. I usually walk at 4.3 - 4.8 mph and varying degrees, the machine has a HRM build in so it keeps me in my wanted heart rate zone. The information is very well constructed!

Out of curiosity I tried a few different things with the FT7 and the RS300x and Fitbit.
    For the Kettlebell workout it's kind of interval training, cardio, strength and abs combined with 1 minute breaks in between sets.
    FT7 : 400 kcal, RS300X : 494 kcal. Later in the afternoon I tried a short walk with my cats running along, and the score for 20 minutes was FT7: 80 kcal, R300X: 101 kcal and Fitbit: 115 kcal.

@Kimsied I read the H7 also has the option to do a self test for V02max in combination with the app?
  • heybales
    Options
    I didn't do the site, but considering Polar is using a public study that others could use, excellent chance. I include it in my spreadsheet for seeing one estimate of VO2max too.
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16168867

Also, if you saw 187 and that was maximal effort for short spurt of time not after a long workout, that is HRmax.
    If 183 is the result of 220-age, that's not a recommendation, that's a guess.
    Your HRmax is what it is, unlike LT threshold or VO2max - it ain't going to improve.

If you want some personalized HR zones to maximize your workouts for what you can do, try this.
    www.calculatenow.biz/sport/heart.php?

Despite them using the past fad name of fat-burning zone, more correctly called the Active Recovery zone for much longer, it's still useful site. And since you have known restingHR and HRmax, you have more accurate zones.

My first VO2max test was walking only, I think 25% incline and 4 mph. So you can indeed get your HR up high, but indeed, just like my test package wasn't calibrated for me to run, that blog test isn't calibrated for steeper inclines and walking only to give VO2max results.

And your results are in the range before it started losing accuracy for the formula, I think it was mid 40's for guys and lower 40's for gals where it lost it.
  • m1ssannthropy
    m1ssannthropy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the site! and all the information :) I will ask the help of my physical therapist to determine the HRmax again, to be certain! Now I am having some doubts about the 187 because I have seen the HRM reach 193 once, after a very short but intense set of cardio pushing myself as hard as I could on the last moves. Generally I don't look at the watch so I only see the averages.
  • heybales
    Options
    In that case, I'd suggest your HRmax is 193 to 198.

Since you gotta be totally prepared for a max effort and it takes some recovery after, no need taking away from general workouts.