New to Keto - trouble staying in ketosis!

Options
Hi all!

I started doing keto about two weeks ago, on 7/07. I entered ketosis pretty quickly (going by the ketostix, at least), but then was kicked out that weekend - probably because of stuff I ate at a friend's birthday, although she is also doing keto so it was all low-carb stuff. This past week I really committed to meeting the macros every day. I got into ketosis again and starting getting some keto-flu symptoms. I started dropping weight pretty quickly (about 5lbs that first week), yay!

Ok, so here's the problem...

I thought I did great eating-wise this weekend. But this morning, I tested and I'm not in ketosis and I've also gained 1.2 pounds! My diary should be public. As you can see, I was around 70% for fat most of the days. I did go on a strenuous hike on Saturday and consumed a few more carbs that day, but I found it necessary because of the difficulty (5,000ft White Mountain, very steep). Still, I was below 30g of carbs that day.

I really only want to lose a few more pounds, but am doing keto because I've been maintaining for awhile now and want to burn fat to lower my body fat %.

Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Replies

• MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I was told that when first entering ketosis, that you should not do strenuous exercise until you body has has time to develop all the new enzymes, and your system is used to using fat for energy. I you are actually fully inducted (that takes about 2-3 weeks min), then you should be able to do strenuous activities without many or any carbs.
  • underpsi01
    underpsi01 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes I've heard that you have to be in ketosis for awhile. Something about your cortisol levels needing to get adjusted!
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You need to give it time. Your diary looks good except for when you go over on the carbs. Try to stay under 20 at first (If possible), that will insure your ketosis. Eventually you'll get energy from all the fat and won't feel the need for carbs. You might also try eating at a deficit (calories in, calories out), this has worked for me. The advice above is really good, too.
  • MzSmythe
    MzSmythe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It could be some of the low-fat type food you've been eating e.g. vegetable oil instead of butter/coconut oil, 2% mozzarella for example? These are saying there are no carbs in them, but usually, lower fat products have sugar in to make 'em taste better, so their could be some extra carbs lurking about in there. It's really important to keep away from any sugar that's not from veggies in the early days.

Also, some of the stuff in there is saying that it's got no carbs in...if you are going from the MFP database for some foods, it might be incorrect. Because everybody can add, some people just concentrate on the particular macros that they are interested in or just make a mistake. I'd take a look at some of that stuff too for carbs that might be hiding from you!