Supplementing creatine while on keto?

Options
SnowFlinga
SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
Anyone supplementing creatine while on keto? My understanding is that creatine is really only maximally effective in the presence of sufficient insulin. So that clearly presents a problem for anyone on a diet that suppresses insulin levels. Can creatine be an effective supplement for us keto people?

Replies

• SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think I may have found an answer to my own question: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10956365

Looks like CHO consumption will indeed improve the efficacy of creatine, but CHO is not absolutely necessary to still derive benefits from creatine supplementation.

I think I'm going to try it and see what impact it has on my workouts and strength training while on keto.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    There are two streams of thoughts in the body building world. One of the champion Body builder I talked to used creatine with Protein and not with carbs. Jeff Volek did lot of research on creatine supplementation and he is also well know low carb/keto expert too.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not something I'm an expert on, but check out the FAQ at reddit.com/r/ketogains. They definitely have a very strong positive opinion of creatine usage while working out on keto.