Vegan after RNY?

Options
I know it's a long shot, but is anyone here Vegan? I have been a vegetarian for a long time, and had an RNY in Feb. I'm trying to transition to Vegan, but am looking for some help with sample menus to make sure i'm getting my protein and vitamins. Right now I eat a TON of greek yogurt.

Replies

• csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've had RNY surgery, however I'm not vegan. All I can say is good luck! I'm sure you are aware that as vegan you can't even do eggs, cheese, yogurt. I'd be most concerned how you would get the protein that you need. Not eating animal based products severely limits your choices for complete proteins. Actually now that I think about it, you can't even have most protein shakes. Most are made from whey protein. Wow, that's a tough one!

As a side note, I am interested what your nutritionist has to say about it. I'm wondering if it can even be done with an RNY surgery.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but know plenty of Vegans. You will have to suplement heavy with Soy protein. You will also need to add different forms of Soy into your diet. It is the most protein dense item a vegan has in their arsenal and as long as you have no reaction to soy, with your RNY, that should do it.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You might want to also consider other proteins besides soy. I discovered a product at Whole Foods called Beyond Meat, it comes in "beef crumbles" and also "grilled chicken". It's pretty tasty and it's made with pea protein. You can also get protein powders in different flavors made from pea protein.