Clean eating breakfast ideas

Options
mustangEvie
mustangEvie Posts: 39 Member
I need some breakfast ideas - espeically quick/on the go type ideas. I dont much care for eggs or oatmeal. I mostly eat fruit for breakfast but its getting old fast.

thanks!

Replies

• Ehecatl915
    Ehecatl915 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have food allergies so there is not much choice for me, but I eat this for breakfast. 5 ounces of Stonyfield Organic Low Fat French Vanilla yogurt and I put raisins on it and a teaspoon of chopped walnuts and a teaspoon of local raw honey. It is really good and gets me going to take my walk.
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    How about making a grain free granola bar? Here is a recipe for one made of fruit and nuts. You'll have to run it through MFPs recipe thing to see where it lands within your food plan. http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/09/grain-free-granola-super-easy-use-what-you-have.html

BLT - Ezekiel bread, turkey or Canadian bacon, avocado hummus with cilantro and spices instead of mayo. That hummus is my go to sammich spread. Darned tasty.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I eat leftovers for breakfast many times... who says you have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast? You can eat lunch or dinner foods for breakfast too!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have a green kefir smoothie every morning. I always use spinach (I know I should branch out) but I change it up by adding different fruit. I know you said you don't like oatmeal, but you could try the overnight refrigerator oatmeal. It's eaten cold and you just grab a jar and take it with you on your commute.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually alternate between two breakfasts during the week:

1. 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 piece of fruit, coffee

2. 2/3 cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1 cup of sliced strawberries mixed in the night before, topped with 1/4 cup of raw oats and 2 tbps of sliced almonds. Or whatever toppings you like. Sometimes I add shredded unsweetened coconut and/or dried goji berries. Once berries go out of season, I switch to yogurt with 1 tbsp of cinnamon, some maple syrup, topped with raw oats and a chopped apple.

Other things I like: Ezekiel toast topped with ricotta cheese, spinach,and tomato; Protein pancakes (made out of oats, egg whites, and cottage cheese or greek yogurt and topped with peanut butter or apple butter)

Note: check your cottage cheese. Many have all kinds of weird stuff in them. If you are averse to that: Daisy brand, 2% is pretty simple.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1/2 C dry oatmeal (add hot water at work) with 1/2 C blueberries

2 egg whites, 1 whole egg scramble with deli ham and spinach
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We do a smoothie every morning: kale, banana, apple, frozen berries, frozen mango. We usually have a piece of whole wheat toast with PB as well, or some oatmeal.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My latest is a half cup of greek yogurt, a half cup of blueberries, and a third of a cup of Seitenbacher Musli. Yummy . . .
  • jennabean27
    jennabean27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy!
  • BluesMnM
    BluesMnM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love your BLT idea, will definitely have to try it out, maybe even add an egg white to give it a bit more protein. Thanks!!:bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We make black bean, brown rice, and spaghetti squash burritos with ezekiel tortillas. And then freeze them for later.
  • KarmaZen7
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs with avocado..
  • mustangEvie
    Options
    Great ideas! I've been making smoothies but have trouble keeping the calories low and staying full unitl lunch. So far I add almond milk, fruit, bananas, spinach and flaxseed powder. I'd like some smoothie ideas that can keep me feeling full. I also tried leftovers, great idea. Or a mashed sweet potato with a bit of sea salt and some almond butter, yummy!
  • DianeinFL
    DianeinFL Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was doing smoothies for about a year but I was hungry by break time and after looking at what I was putting in it it had loads of sugar with the fruit and yogurt. I know you said you dont like oatmeal but Target organic steel cut oats. I make a weeks worth and spoon out of it during the week. I add 1/2 banana, pb2, little almond milk, tbs chopped walnuts or sometimes 1/2 banana and 1/2 serving protein powder and sprinkling of walnuts. It keeps me full till lunch
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been really enjoying smoothies lately, I think it's important to add a protein source to them in order to feel full for longer. Today I used: 100g Banana, 25g frozen blueberries, 25g frozen strawberries (I heated the berries as I don't like my smoothies to be too icy), 25g hulled hemp seeds, 100g greek yogurt (I use full fat, but you can use a no fat variety to cut out some the calories) and 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (trying it out, usually use unsweetened almond milk). I often add flaxmeal or a high protein LSA mix as well.
  • mustangEvie
    Options
    I've been really enjoying smoothies lately, I think it's important to add a protein source to them in order to feel full for longer. Today I used: 100g Banana, 25g frozen blueberries, 25g frozen strawberries (I heated the berries as I don't like my smoothies to be too icy), 25g hulled hemp seeds, 100g greek yogurt (I use full fat, but you can use a no fat variety to cut out some the calories) and 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (trying it out, usually use unsweetened almond milk). I often add flaxmeal or a high protein LSA mix as well.
    Did you like the coconut milk ? I use almond milk but I was thinking of trying coconut milk out, too. I do put ground flaxseed, I'll have to look into hemp seeds.... Do hemp seeds add any kind of flavor?
  • eviebee03
    eviebee03 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I adore smoothies too! I personally like frozen bananas, almond milk, cinnamon, (raspberries if im feeling luxury is needed) and I want to try protein powder too. I find the cinnamon adds a real nice touch :)
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Probably an old topic, but I thought i'd share a couple ideas I have found recently.

I don't know if you eat bread, but I found this that is not bad but interesting to say the least! It's a STrawberry and avacado toastie. It's two slices of bread (GF or sourdough is preferred, per recipe) 1/2 avocado, mashed with squeeze of lemon juice, sliced strawberries (about 1/4c but i'd say more the merrier!) 2 T of soft goats cheese. and drizzle it with a little olive oil. I toasted in fry pan on one side, and put the avocado on the other side. top with the fruit and cheese, and let the cheese get a bit melty. and sprinkle a little pepper and olive oil. it's pretty quick and definitely interesting. might be worth a try for you?? (I found this recipe in a book called I Quit Sugar for LIfe, by Sarah Wilson)

THe same author has an interesting sweety breakfast suggestion I haven't ried, but sounds good! It's a Paleo Choc-coco muggin! Think chocolate muffin in a cup! This is total totable!
    1/4c almond meal or gluten free self raising flour
    2 T desiccated coconut
    1 T raw cacao powder
    1/2 T rice malt syrup OR 1/2 tsp granulated Stevia
    1/4 c coconut milk or almond milk (or whatever milk you like)
    Full fat greek yogurt to serve (just a bit on top after)
    Add all ingredients to microwave safe mug and mix. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top with the yogurt..

I sometimes make a blue berry muffin like that :smile: Here's the recipe if you're interested:
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2011/07/11/berrylicious-microwave-minute-muffin/
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is pretty good. I still prefer almond but both are good.
    I love to make smoothies too, as it's easy awesome way to get in veggies and such. I'm trying to put more veggies than fruit in mine. Just because more vitamins that way. I don't really do them for breakfast anymore. My stomach wasn't really liking them for breakfast. but they are great for afternoon snack, lunch, or post workout. I use pea protein, flax seed, and plenty of greens. I use a green powder occasionally as well. Lots of good nutrients!

Chia seeds are pretty good as well.
  • mustangEvie
    Options
    Probably an old topic, but I thought i'd share a couple ideas I have found recently.

I don't know if you eat bread, but I found this that is not bad but interesting to say the least! It's a STrawberry and avacado toastie. It's two slices of bread (GF or sourdough is preferred, per recipe) 1/2 avocado, mashed with squeeze of lemon juice, sliced strawberries (about 1/4c but i'd say more the merrier!) 2 T of soft goats cheese. and drizzle it with a little olive oil. I toasted in fry pan on one side, and put the avocado on the other side. top with the fruit and cheese, and let the cheese get a bit melty. and sprinkle a little pepper and olive oil. it's pretty quick and definitely interesting. might be worth a try for you?? (I found this recipe in a book called I Quit Sugar for LIfe, by Sarah Wilson)

THe same author has an interesting sweety breakfast suggestion I haven't ried, but sounds good! It's a Paleo Choc-coco muggin! Think chocolate muffin in a cup! This is total totable!
    1/4c almond meal or gluten free self raising flour
    2 T desiccated coconut
    1 T raw cacao powder
    1/2 T rice malt syrup OR 1/2 tsp granulated Stevia
    1/4 c coconut milk or almond milk (or whatever milk you like)
    Full fat greek yogurt to serve (just a bit on top after)
    Add all ingredients to microwave safe mug and mix. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top with the yogurt..

I sometimes make a blue berry muffin like that :smile: Here's the recipe if you're interested:
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2011/07/11/berrylicious-microwave-minute-muffin/

The avocado toasty recipe sounds good. I am about 90% bread free but allow myself to have it as a treat once in a while. I'll have to look up that book, sounds right up my ally. I would love to eliminate all sugar but it is really hard.