First Tri

Options
SarahxApple
SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
Hi all,

So just today signed up for my first Triathlon (it's not until 19th July 2015) so I have plenty of time to prepare, it's an Olympic (but I may look at doing a Sprint between now and then). What I really want to know is what training plans did people use? I am going to practice some open water swims (I am a strong swimmer and can comfortably do 1500m in a pool so testing myself), running I've got fine, cycling less so, first time on a bike in 18years was last week (had some real anxiety there). So back to my original point, did you follow a plan? Join a team? Are there things like swim technique lessons (my strongest stroke is breaststroke, I am actually faster in this than I am freestyle although I want to be comfortable in both at 1500m). I am well aware that one of the hardest things is putting all of this together and training back to back with everything will be really hard.

Sorry lots of questions but may as well start doing some training while I have some (rare) but decent British weather, just worth saying I already CrossFit 3 x a week and do other stuff run, swim, Zumba, hopefully cycling now.

Oh I am doing this in the UK in Birmingham.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• wpayers
    wpayers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Triathlon. It is a fabulous endeavor and great community. Setting a goal for an event one year from now is ideal. Here are a few brief answers to your questions:

What I really want to know is what training plans did people use?
    - Search online and you will find countless training plans. Most are Olympic plans are 3-4 months in duration. With your event a year away there's no urgency in setting a race specific plan now. Rather, concentrate on building your fitness base. Include the three disciplines, plus nutrition, strength, stretching (yoga) and rest. By the way, rest or off days are vital. Your body needs to recoup and rebuild.You are off to excellent start with Crossfit.

- Disregard your current perceived aptitude with swimming, biking and running. Give equal attention to each as you slowly build a base over the next six months. Saying you are "fine" with running or a "strong" swimmer really means nothing.

Join a team?
    Absolutely! A good group will help you immensely.

Are there things like swim technique lessons...?
    - Of course there are! Assuming you can afford one, a swim coach or lessons are great investments. Otherwise, become a student of youtube swim technique videos.

- Please take this in a positive light, but breast stroke should not be your stroke of choice. Learn freestyle!

Most importantly, enjoy the experience.
    Cheers!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the awesome club! This is my first tri season and I am loving it. I used training plans from Beginner Triathlete.. a 16 week Sprint and a 16 week Oly. I have been really happy with both as they are simple and easy to understand for a beginner. You have a long time to prepare so you can do some things to get yourself in good shape to start a regimented training program 4-5 months before your race. I found that scheduling all my workouts weeks/months before in my google calendar was really helpful and encouraging, but everyone is different and some people might think that is a little crazy :)

Other more experienced triathletes will have better advice but it sounds like you will want to work on your freestyle over the winter. I'm also faster at breast stroke but you won't want to do that in the race.. it's not efficient and other people will get mad if you kick them (understandably). Plus you would just feel like a total noob. I plan to join a masters swim group this winter to get some more regimented time in the pool. You might look into that. I also took a couple swim lessons last spring to help with my stroke. If you can get some time in open water before it gets cold this year, I would recommend it, or else be sure to schedule some time for that next year before your race. Open water swimming is really a different beast than the pool.

Sounds like the main thing that would benefit you now would be to get some cycling in this season. Can you commute to work on your bike? That really helped me get more comfortable in the saddle, but isn't an option for everyone. You could just start riding it once a week, adding a mile each time you ride. By the end of the season, you will have a good base and can use a trainer over the winter months. It took me a couple years of commuting by work and then extending my commute circle to really feel comfortable on a bike, starting with a hybrid and then moving to a road bike. But surely it can be done faster than that if you focus on it (i wasn't training or anything; just commuting). Now, I feel like my bike is an extension of my legs.

Good luck and enjoy!!