Is T2D reversible?

Options
pythonesk
pythonesk Posts: 20 Member
Hi All - My doctor claims that if you lose enough weight during your first 5 years after diagnosis, that t2d is reversible - at least for most people. I have my doubts about this and just wanted to see what your opinion is.

My grandmother was always a skinny little thing and she had the worst raging case of t2d ever. I don't see how that fits in with my doctor's views!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Asking your doctor for an explanation is certainly a reasonable request. I'd ask your doctor what exactly he/she means by reversible and why he/she feels confident that your specific issue with the insulin process has been identified and will be treated by weight loss. Be polite and non-confrontational, but insist the explanation be given in language you're comfortable with. (I've had medical professionals take umbrage at my questions and pull out their lexicon of Big Impressive Latin Words.)

You'll have to judge how satisfied you are with the answer you get and whether or not you feel further action (e.g. a second opinion, switching doctors) is warranted.

Edit: Clarification
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It is possible with diet and exercise to control T2D well enough to have normal blood sugars. However does that mean it is reversed? I don't think so. I know I will always have to be aware of what I eat in order to maintain normal blood sugars.

I would say it is possible to control T2D, but I haven't seen or heard any evidence that it can be cured to the point where the 'problem' is fixed. For example, my body has never processed insulin normally. When I was young and at a healthy weight I was hypoglycemic. As I gained weight and grew older I became a T2D. I can't fix the genetics that make my body not use insulin like a normal body.

That said, I losing weight and controlling blood sugars with diet and exercise is an awesome goal. I've gone from being insulin dependent and expect to be medication free in September (I'm down to 500mg of Metformin per day). I have a lot more energy now that my sugars are normal again. Once I get off the last of the meds, I plan to do everything in my power to stay off of them.
  • DenDweller
    Options
    Additional information for a discussion with your doctor.

For information about possible causes of diabetes, go to bloodsugar101.com and read "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes."

For information about the insulin process, go to http://www.betacell.org/content/articleview/article_id/1/page/1/glossary/0/

I hope others here can provide you with additional reading. Good luck.

Edit: Clarity
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever completely goes away. I "reversed" it years ago, when I lost alot of weight, but when I regained it came back. So I think the sensitivity will always be there.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It is possible with diet and exercise to control T2D well enough to have normal blood sugars. However does that mean it is reversed? I don't think so. I know I will always have to be aware of what I eat in order to maintain normal blood sugars.

I would say it is possible to control T2D, but I haven't seen or heard any evidence that it can be cured to the point where the 'problem' is fixed. For example, my body has never processed insulin normally. When I was young and at a healthy weight I was hypoglycemic. As I gained weight and grew older I became a T2D. I can't fix the genetics that make my body not use insulin like a normal body.

That said, I losing weight and controlling blood sugars with diet and exercise is an awesome goal. I've gone from being insulin dependent and expect to be medication free in September (I'm down to 500mg of Metformin per day). I have a lot more energy now that my sugars are normal again. Once I get off the last of the meds, I plan to do everything in my power to stay off of them.

It's not 100% possible to diet and exercise to control T2D. There are otherwise healthy people and they still have T2D. It might work in some but not everyone. I do think diet and exercise help. I'm not 100% convinced that it can be reversed.

I'm also working on losing weight with diet and exercise. I hope to be off Metformin soon too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the recent research from Newcastle University.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Following their guidelines I have reversed my diabetes. Originally diagnosed with an hba1c of 10+ in 2012 and prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Advised to stop medicating completely in November 2013. My last hba1c in March was 5.0.
  • DenDweller
    Options
    I've read acpgee's information. Thanks for posting it.

I have some concerns, in no particular order.

1) I was unable to access the text of the actual research, even though the website claims it is available. I'm only able to access the Abstract, which is just a formal summary of a scientific research paper.

2) What information is available in the research Abstract reveals the research is quite limited in scope:
    a) It only studied 11 patients.
    b) It only studied them for eight weeks.
    c) There's no mention in the abstract how the researchers differentiated diabetes control with exercise and diet from a reversal of diabetes. (Or if indeed, the difference is only in semantics.)

3) The website offered research in which its own members participated. I see no independent research confirming or opposing what's presented in the one paper.

4) On the website, in the notes they want you to take to your doctor, they specifically mention that:
    a) Sulphonylureas can be stopped.
    b) Insulin can be decreased or stopped.
    c) Other meds can be decreased or stopped.

Many people on this site have achieved these results, but they still consider themselves diabetic. These are signs of good control, not a "cure".

5) Everyone already knows that good diet and exercise are a major part of successfully controlling diabetes.

Be aware, OP. I don't see this information as a solid argument that diabetes can be "cured".

Edit: Formatting
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the recent research from Newcastle University.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Following their guidelines I have reversed my diabetes. Originally diagnosed with an hba1c of 10+ in 2012 and prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Advised to stop medicating completely in November 2013. My last hba1c in March was 5.0.

You would be the first documented case in the world that I know of . But I suspect this is not true. I suspect you have controlled your symptoms, Not reversed the disease. It is awesome to be able to control your symptoms with diet and sometimes drugs. Dont cheapen that hard work by saying the disease itself is reversed, when it is not true. Just eat a pan of brownies and see if you dont have a huge spike in BG.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Just eat a pan of brownies and see if you dont have a huge spike in BG.
    Challenge accepted!

Kidding aside, I think the term "cure" gets tossed around by a small group of doctors. The majority of medical researchers would say there is no cure for diabetes. I've managed to lower my A1C to 4.9. This doesn't mean I'm cured, it means I have my diabetes under control.
  • pythonesk
    pythonesk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I agree with the majority of you that while symptoms can be controlled by lifestyle choices, there is no actual "cure" that will allow us to eat that pan of brownies without massive BS consequences.

I'm currently seeing a homeopath and she's got me on some remedies that might prove interesting to this group. I'll report back when I have more data. I can say that I've seen some very remarkable things from homeopathy so far.