Weird body observations upon treatment

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
I'm hoping that at least some of my lost hair returns. But meanwhile, my grey hair seems to maybe be getting darker--regaining color. Can't tell if it's actually gaining color or if I'm still losing strands but preferentially losing the white ones.

In any case, what kinds of oddities have you noticed about your body either while your thyroid was out of whack, or upon being treated?

I feel like I'm constantly having to trim my toenails and fingernails, where before it was like, I dunno, twice a year.

And I didn't realize I'd lost my outer eyebrows (a typical hypothyroidism symptom) until they started growing back.

Anyone else notice any odd body details about their thyroid disease or recovery?

Replies

• RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I thought the nail thing was just me! I feel a little better now ;)
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hair - I had the hair problem before being diagnosed I lost significant amounts of hair, it has grown back but lost a lot of pigment color. AFTER I still lose more than normal hair even on meds but it's nothing that really causes concern.

Nails - BEFORE diagnosing I had nails & toenails like paper, extremely thin & sensitive.
    AFTER medication they are very strong.

Weight - BEFORE - I would exercise intensely for 3 hours per day 7 days a week but still put on weight I was sick & exhausted.
    AFTER - I still have an ongoing weight problem but I don't have to even exercise at all, my weight has stabilised, it's just losing the weight I gained & I am no longer exhausted. I can stay awake all day without any problems.

Mental Health - BEFORE - brain fog & poor brain function, it was so bad I couldn't remember where I'd been or what I had done an hour ago, let alone for the day. I couldn't function normally at all & I was very distressed & depressed.
    AFTER - Took about 6 months for brain function to return to normality, no more depression & my memory isn't to bad, I'm still a bit forgetful.

Health - BEFORE - I always felt sick, it was constant, kind of like a mild morning sickness, I was always tired & exhausted I would fall asleep even stopped at traffic lights whilst driving, I couldn't sleep much at all seemed to have this insomnia even though I was exhausted, suffered regular heart palpitations, had virtually no immunity to anything always picking up colds, bugs etc. Felt constantly extremely cold even in the middle of summer I was still wearing a jumper.Tingling in my legs, Constant dizziness. Lost my eyebrows 7 have virtually no body hair at all.Extreme weight gain.
    AFTER - I have rare sick mornings, still mildly tired but it's manageable, Insomnia is gone completely but still have interrupted sleeping patterns, no more palpitations or tingling. I still feel the cold but not to the previous extremes & I can wear shorts now in summer. No more dizziness. Immune system has improved. Eyebrows have grown back. Weight has stabilised but is still difficult to lose any weight.

Litlle Tip: start logging you food- My Fitness Pal - is awesome

Please note: I went undiagnosed for many years & was crtically ill. I feel like a new person now I am on armour medication.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, you had it awful. I had some of those symptoms to lesser degree, like the fatigue, brain fog, and the cold intolerance, but not to the extent you describe.

:big hug:

I'm glad you survived.
  • Bearika628
    Bearika628 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hair is not turning gray as fast as it used to. I'm on Armour. Still at a low starting dose but definitely noticing more energy and rising body temp so far. Best of luck!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Losing my hair and the nail thing were common for mr me. I was taking gravol in the morning as soon as my syntroid was in long enough. For me the sleep issue hasn't changed. I have other issues that keep me doing that. Seem to be 50 days in without much of a loss which is very frustrating.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on medication in about three years (I know I will be when i go to my next appointment) but my hair started falling out about two months ago. I went for shoulder length to above the ears. I've been using organic biotin shampoo. My hair color is a whole other story. I've always had jet black hair. The last few months my hair, especially in the front has change to a copper redish brown color with gray around my edges. I'm afraid to color it because it seems to be so weak. I exercise to maintain my weight and sanity.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The best thing for me about medication, has been my breathing has improved. I didn't think I, the old healthy me had breathing issues, catarrh yes but otherwise no, but in the last three weeks I have been able to breath more deeply. I'm excited to know what the future holds for me. What else I can look forward to.