Finding optimum range

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
I know I should take forum advice with caution, and I do. However, I'm hoping for some wisdom from this group. The doc's PA and the diabetic nurses/trainers say that you should judge optimum range not just by the meter, but also by how you feel. That's pretty subjective, and not really helpful because they judge every thing by BG readings and A1C tests. Normal range BG generally is 80-110 (US).
I'm one of those people who (unmedicated) always has a high FBG (130s-150s) most days, which comes down during the day. What I am noticing is that later in the day, late afternoon and evening until dinner when BG tends to range from the high 90s to 110 or so, I feel worst. I don't feel hungry, more like dizzy and weak. I took my BG on the way home last night at 5:15p 106, by the time I got home, 5:54p 96, I felt just awful. Relatively new meter (spring 2014), older but still current strips test fine. I did feel better after dinner, but fell asleep and didn't get a 2 hr PP test in.
I know that the physicians and diabetic associations keep lowering the optimum numbers. Is it reasonable to conclude that I stop trying to achieve BG readings below 110 since I feel so awful when I get that low?
Grateful for thoughtful advice. Thanks.

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't always trust what I feel. When I have been running high then getting more normal feels awful. When they first put me on Amaryl I felt terrible when I was in the 80s and 90s. Now that I'm used to it I feel terrible when I'm above 120.

I think that we need to accept that regardless of how hard we try, our numbers aren't going to be perfect. Maybe try for a little higher numbers during the afternoon/evening so that your body can adjust then try a little lower until you get into the normal range.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used to feel really terrible with lower numbers, too. I still get symptoms if it's a sudden drop. But now I can be in the 70s and not really feel it. 2 years ago a I would have felt really bad with a 75. Now - no big deal. You will adjust. It's important to keep in the normal range as much as possible to limit the complications that come with aging.