Mirrors - do you use em?

Options
13»

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with Josh. I think that would be a distraction. I have a handle bar mirror on my road bike. I use it a lot when riding on the road, especially when riding with a group. I can see cars and other bikes clearly. I tried the mirror attached to the helmet, but since my left contact lens is for distance vision, the image in the mirror is too blurry to do any good!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This "GoPro as display" is a total no-go. Sure it sounds uber-nerdy. I have a GoPro3 setup for my bike (set up to film some "epic" road descents thru Yellowstone NP & POV MTB/singletrack stuff). A GoPro setup really not practical for anything but recording "special occasion" riding. It's a royal pain to setup & costs $$$ (camera, housings, batteries, mounts, etc.) And, don't expect to get a ton of footage (d/t memory & battery limitations). Plus, shake/vibration is bad on a bike. And you likely cannot use a phone as a display (the app is horrid, and even if you could stream a good image, it would drain your phone rapidly) nor should you be staring at your phone while riding from a safety perspective. So, you could shell out $500+ for a GoPro setup (that likely won't work like you expect) use or you could buy a $10 mirror.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When i first started i did use the small mirror that attached to my sunglass arm, that broke. Then i used a multitude of bar end mirrors, they were better for me but broke off easily. I even used the tiny mirrors that paste to the inside corner of sunglass lens. I just got tired of replacing them. Now i just hold my line and turn my head.
    There is a rear light with a camera combo now. Started on kickstarter, forgot its name.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    2getgeorge wrote: »
    There is a rear light with a camera combo now. Started on kickstarter, forgot its name.

The Fly6 by Cycliq? They're bringing out a Fly12; front camera & light combo too.

Looks a good bit of kit; when the Fly12 comes out I might invest in a 6 & 12 ;)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. Wow.

Regardless of who was at fault here, having a mirror will tell you when someone is going to drive into you...you gotta have awareness!

Also - I love how this guys buddies are so careful to park their bikes in a safe spot before dragging him off the road!

And - glad the guy wasn't smashed up like roadkill!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3Cf9fYPNENg
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I too have been hit by a car. I listen carefully but I live in a very windy state and you'd be amazed how much that shuts down your hearing.

I never ride without a mirror. Used to go thru one a season till I found a guy that handmade helmet mirrors from recycled bike spokes and other materials in 1992. Sadly I will have to replace it soon only because the mirror is losing its finish. Zero jiggle, moves with me for larger view of behind. Love that mirror best safety item EVER, even if it is an antique...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I used to ride with a mirror all the time. Knowing exactly what is behind you and where they are is priceless. Unfortunately, I had to replace my helmet (it was a stick-on mirror) and I haven't found a replacement mirror I've been comfortable with.

I plan on getting this mirror shortly after I upgrade my saddle and grips:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/m5.htm

It's the best one out there.

Having a mirror is an essential safety feature. Not only does it allow you to know what's going on behind you, but you can use it to help control traffic. Most cyclists will pull over to the side of the road and pray that the motorist doesn't hit them. They have no control. With a mirror, you can watch the traffic, and stay in the middle of the lane until the cars behind you slow down. When you feel it's safe for them to pass, you can then pull over and let them go. Of course, by being able to see the cars, you'll know when a driver is being an idiot and take evasive maneuvers.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Just saw this. Wow.

Regardless of who was at fault here, having a mirror will tell you when someone is going to drive into you...you gotta have awareness!

Also - I love how this guys buddies are so careful to park their bikes in a safe spot before dragging him off the road!

And - glad the guy wasn't smashed up like roadkill!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3Cf9fYPNENg

Double wow. If that isn't an endorsement for a mirror I don't know what is... If saw that coming I would have taken evasive maneuvers. More appalling is that jerk didn't even stop.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I have tried the on your glasses style and on the helmet style. I couldn't stand having to shift my focus with my eyes to see in them. And sometimes the vibration was too much. I much prefer having a mirror on my handlebars. I've had big ones, and small ones. I don't really pay much attention to the type of mirror so long as it functions. My hubby use to scoff at me for using a mirror which I always thought was a bit weird considering he's blind on the left side. Then he started riding way more and suddenly he has mirrors on both sides of his handle bars. But he uses his ears and he looks too as he doesn't always trust what he sees in a mirror.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Regarding awareness, does anyone else find the wind noise quite deafening by looking straight on when compared to turning your head slightly left/right?

Whenever I approach a blind intersection I always turn my head a bit so I can 'hear' any traffic approaching the junction.

I am wondering if there is a type of ear plug or device worn that takes the 'howl' out of the wind? I hope this makes sense....
  • chivalryder
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Regarding awareness, does anyone else find the wind noise quite deafening by looking straight on when compared to turning your head slightly left/right?

Whenever I approach a blind intersection I always turn my head a bit so I can 'hear' any traffic approaching the junction.

I am wondering if there is a type of ear plug or device worn that takes the 'howl' out of the wind? I hope this makes sense....

http://www.cat-ears.com/

You're welcome.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

I think this is something thats also related to the helmet you're wearing... My old Giro from around 5 years ago was much "noiser" than the Specialized Propero II that I replaced it with, and that in turn is noticeably noiser than the Kask Mojito I'm currently using for on the road (the Propero II got "demoted" to 'cross and MTB usage as it's matt black and already filthy!)

Doesn't help that my lugs stick out like the handles on the FA cup mind...

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yup, Sprintech on my Roadie, and Mirrycle on my Fitness bike. Both are bar mounted. Neither have an issue with vibration. It just totally spooks me to ride on the road without a clear view of overtaking traffic.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a lot less silly with my bar-end mirror now.
    I'm a new cyclist since I can't run currently. And I'm not stable enough to look behind me, I'm barely stable enough to make my turn signals (so I largely ride in the early AM before many cars are out).

I haven't seen too many cyclists hear with bar-end mirrors.
    But honestly, I see few cyclists. Mostly bike commuters who don't pay attention to the rules of the road
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I'm a new cyclist since I can't run currently. And I'm not stable enough to look behind me, I'm barely stable enough to make my turn signals (so I largely ride in the early AM before many cars are out).

But honestly, I see few cyclists. Mostly bike commuters who don't pay attention to the rules of the road

Gotta hate those who make a bad name for the rest of us.

I might get back into exclusively mountain biking, just so I can avoid the cars.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

Excellent. Thanks! This will really help me on my commutes.

I might get back into exclusively mountain biking, just so I can avoid the cars.

Seriously... just a few days ago I saw a cyclist try to pass a car on the left as the driver was about to turn left with it's signal on. When there was alllll the room on the right so scoot on by. I was like WTFFFF dude. You almost ate it. Big time.
  • chivalryder
    Options

You're welcome.

Excellent. Thanks! This will really help me on my commutes.

Seriously... just a few days ago I saw a cyclist try to pass a car on the left as the driver was about to turn left with it's signal on. When there was alllll the room on the right so scoot on by. I was like WTFFFF dude. You almost ate it. Big time.

Natural selection at work.

I'm pretty happy with where I live. I'm right on a major cycling artery and, surprisingly, most of the cyclists on it are actually pretty respectful of the traffic laws. The motorists are also (for the most part) pretty respectful of the cyclists. These aren't so much commuters as they are recreational cyclists though. Go to the next city over, and it's a surprise to see a cyclist obey a red light.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Bought one online from eBay but can't find a decent place on my helmet to mount it.