Ketonix?

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Does anyone else have this? https://www.ketonix.com/

I ordered one after seeing some people on the facebook groups talking about it. So far it seems to be working well. Its not as exact as using a blood meter but its comparable. I usually test on the blood meter between 0.8-2 and every time I've tested on the ketonix I have tested in the yellow zone which is moderate, so pretty accurate.

I'm a gadget junky and love stats so this is a new toy to me and to be honest I couldn't afford to keep spending $25 for a box of strips every 2 weeks. This is a one time purchase of $100 and lasts a long time.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am so tempted to order it. If I hadn't had a bad summer, financially, I probably would have already. I'm probably going to order it in place of strips, when I run out and can afford it.
  • kristafb
    Options
    Frob definitely by the sport one, I'm kicking myself for not getting that one. I didn't realize when I ordered that the sport one indicates how far you are into a level by flashing (the more it flashes a color the deeper into that zone you are) , whereas mine shows just blue, green, yellow or red, no flashing. It shipped super fast considering it came from Sweden.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Fine, fine, I went and ordered one. I only have 10 blood strips left. I know I will want to have some way to monitor myself afterwards. I'm not thrilled dropping $135 (after shipping) right now. But, I have an extra couple hundred coming in next month. I also am going to be under the food budget this month. Oddly enough, I save money despite buying all the meat. We end up eating out less.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing more about this before I commit to it. I would love for it to be very accurate. I want to give up the blood ketone strips. I hate poking myself for the blood ketone meter tests. It seems like each time I have to mentally brace myself for the poke from the lancet.

Have you seen this review? Albeit it's only one person's review, so take it with a grain of salt or fat (since we're ketoing :laugh: )

http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/03/15/ketonix-review/
  • kristafb
    Options
    Oh Dear! Frob I feel bad now lol. YOu're like me. No patience!! But in the long run it will save us money, right?? Those strips are just way too expensive!

Did you order the sport one? I live in canada and there was no tax or shipping or anything! I was shocked! I was expecting a big bill after I ordered telling me the taxes and stuff was added separately, nope. just straight cost of the ketonix. Another reason I'm kicking myself for not upgrading to the sport one.

Books I did read that review & a few others as well. I find all the scientific stuff a bit over my head but in the end he liked it so I thought, "what the heck" lol
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Some one sent me the link few weeks ago. They are glorified Urine test strips, similar to ketone urine strips this one doesn't measure the BHB levels. Ketosis is BHB>0.5 milli molllars and this one doesn't measure BHB. It would suffer from similar inaccuracies as the ketone urine strips. I hate spending money on blood strips but I only use them sparingly when experimenting with new diet or exercise. I personally prefer to take few accurate readings than lot of inaccurate readings.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Did you order the sport one? I live in canada and there was no tax or shipping or anything! I was shocked! I was expecting a big bill after I ordered telling me the taxes and stuff was added separately, nope. just straight cost of the ketonix. Another reason I'm kicking myself for not upgrading to the sport one.

Yeah, I got the sport model. It was $10 shipping through amazon. I can't order from their site directly because they want a PayPal address (I don't have one). Usually, you can pay through PayPal with a CC, but that wasn't an option there.

As for accuracy, I am less worried about absolute values than I am about relative ones. I know it measures something different from the blood strips, but it should be a good enough indicator for me. The blood strips have been useful, but the on going costs are just prohibitive for me.
  • sungvars
    sungvars Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the sport one with the extra battery which I think eliminates the need to plug into a computer each time. Can't wait till it arrives to try it out. :smile:
  • kristafb
    Options
    I got mine to go red this morning for the first time!! Yay!!! I ate about 80% fat yesterday and under 15 net carbs so that seemed to help.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I bought one last month and I have to blow like I'm blowing a house down to get a result.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I bought one last month and I have to blow like I'm blowing a house down to get a result.

Really? I don't have any issue. I have to take a fairly long breath but not too hard.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I don't blow like a typhoon, I'll get no results...I wonder it something is wrong with my unit
  • kristafb
    Options
    Yeah, if I don't blow like a typhoon, I'll get no results...I wonder it something is wrong with my unit

write to the company. they seem very open to feedback. I wrote to them yesterday suggesting they clarify the difference between the two units and they were great and told me how i could upgrade mine to the sport one if I want to.
  • KratesMagoo
    Options
    Ok, now I'm going to have to go look for this. You think Sports one is best? I am going on vacation in 2 weeks and I'd like a way to keep accountable.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I would definitely go with the sports model now that I know the difference, if you want a more accurate reading. The regular model just shows if you are in red/yellow/green or blue zone, not how far you are into that zone. The sport model flashes the color, depending how deep you are into the certian zone, for example 2 yellow flashes is lower in the zone and the deeper you are into the zone the more flashes.

I think I am going to send mine back to upgrade, but I'll miss my little gadget when its gone. :(