Why is it that.........

GraceCamD
GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
people that have more or lots of weight to lose, lose faster than people who only have a few pounds to lose? This is so frustrating to me! And I am not discriminating against anyone, I had two very overweight girlfriends and we all go on a diet, they have like 50-75lbs to lose. I have apx. 15, they are losing like ten lbs a week! I am losing like two! Just wondered why that is, I have heard of this before......

Replies

• alex_h_88
    alex_h_88 Posts: 13 Member
    Maybe they have a higher calorie deficit? This is just my theory....The heavier you are the more calories your body burns per day. Take for example a person who is of a healthy weight and needs 1800 calories a day to maintain their weight, if they eat 1400 calories a day to lose weight, they create a 400 calorie deficit. A larger person may need 2200 calories to maintain and if they eat 1400 calories a day to lose weight, they create a 800 calorie deficit as opposed to a 400 calorie deficit of a person of a healthy weight. By eating the same amount of calories, an overweight person is creating double the deficit of a person who is not overweight and therefore they lose weight double as fast as a person of a healthy weight. I bet that if you ate at a 800 calorie deficit you would also be losing a stack of weight although it would be very hard for you to do so given that you would probably be under your BMR.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Why are you frustrated? When they get to your weight they will be losing just as slowly as you, and they will be really dissapointed after the fast weight loss they had in the beginning.
  • GraceCamD
    GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
    I am not THAT frustrated just more in a joking curious way......just because I would be working at it as hard as them (dieting) and only lose 1/3 or less of what they lost!
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    If there is a 300 pound person, and he loses 10 pounds, that is 3.3% of body weight lost.

If there is a 100 pound person, and he loses 10 pounds, that is a 10% of body weight lost.

Maybe if you look at the percentage of body weight lost, then your weight loss might be similar to your heavier friends.