Running routes.....where/how to find new & interesting ones?

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I'm beginning to think my runs may be a bit boring. I enjoy my runs but the routes are becoming mundane, a bit.
I live in a suburb where the roads kind of twist and turn and circle each other so there are very few routes I can take and those routes are becoming too familiar.
I need new routes and am contemplating how to get them into my running life. How does one find new routes to run without spending a lot of extra time in the car driving to them? Is that even possible?

There is a 10K lake loop that I can drive to on my way home from work and I'll be doing that & giving it a try. That way, my drive home and my run are somewhat combined.

How do you keep your routes fresh and interesting? How do you find new routes?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are like a million miles away from your running store aren't you?

You can use this maybe: http://www.runningmap.com/

It shows some of the local trails in a light grey as well.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same position. I have 2 regular routes that I run. One for my shorter runs which I am seriously bored with and one for my long runs which I try not to run too often as I don't want to get bored with it too. There are other routes I can take but I live in a really hilly area and they all have ridiculously long steep hills, which are okay for an occasional run but not every day! I have tried Map My Run and Mapometer but there are no routes logged for my area. Driving somewhere to run is not an option. Maybe I need to try running with music again to take my mind off it. I hope you find somewhere near you to freshen up your runs.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Romy, I ran a route backwards (the other way.....not that I ran backwards :smile: ) the other day and that made it seem like a whole new route.
    I've been looking for some more hills but I agree that I wouldn't want to run hills everyday.
    I've mapped out another route. Not quite sure how long it is; probably a bit longer than my usual distance but it should be okay. If it works out, the middle section should be through parkland and along a trail. I hope to try it out soon.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Romy, I ran a route backwards (the other way.....not that I ran backwards :smile: ) the other day and that made it seem like a whole new route.
    I've been looking for some more hills but I agree that I wouldn't want to run hills everyday.
    I've mapped out another route. Not quite sure how long it is; probably a bit longer than my usual distance but it should be okay. If it works out, the middle section should be through parkland and along a trail. I hope to try it out soon.
    I hope that it turns out well for you.

I generally just run the same rail-trail, but it varies quite a lot based on the time of day. Sometimes just me, Fells, and the squirrels and bunnies. Sometimes, like last Sunday, it has lots and lots of people on it. Last Sunday was definitely bicycle day. Sometimes, mainly in May, there are Navy cadets running in small groups that you encounter. Last week a local fair was held next to it. Sometimes I go north and back, sometimes south and back, and a go a little farther all the time and discover new things.

I also run to some local stores for variety when I have errands there.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I use google maps and set it for walking or cycling, so it shows me the cycle paths and canal paths, etc. When set to cycling, it also has a feature that shows you how many hills / how steep a route is, which is really useful.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Endomondo and Strava both have options to view routes created by others.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've been using strava to map out new routes. It's pretty nice to use of you are going to a new area too.