How do you all do it???

Options
Disclaimer: This is not a rant or a complaint, but a serious what does your daily/weekly schedule look like post.

I have been running for about 3 years, have done 5 half marathons, numerous 5 and 10ks even a couple 10 milers.

I want to start training for a marathon but am not sure if there is enough time or am I just over thinking it all.

Hubby and I run together 95% of the time. We work Monday through Friday. Hubby leaves home at 515 AM gets home typically before me, cooks dinner (yup I am spoiled) and walks the dogs. About this time I stroll in the door at 530 PM. Run and change clothes and out the door we go. We typically run about 20-30 miles a week, 5 times a week. We know we need to do cross training and we do have Thursdays as no running day and we do a bike ride or something like that. For example this week we have
Monday Rest
Tuesday 4
Wednesday 5
Thursday bike ride
Friday 4
Saturday 7
Sunday 3
We have a half marathon on 10/26 and by week 11 of our training we will be at
Monday Rest
Tuesday 6
Wednesday 11
Thursday bike ride
Friday 6
Saturday 17
Sunday 5 (or some variation of these numbers this particular week)

How is there enough time to add more cross training and core exercises? We are almost always in bed by 9pm. What does your weekly schedule look like? Thank you all in advance I really appreciate it. Next up might be what does your food intake look like post! I am always always always hungry so food is always on my mind.

Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    There's always a way to make time, I believe.

I'm currently unemployed but even when I was working long hours at my 9-5 job + attending grad school two nights a week, I still put in about 50 miles a week for marathon training. Sometimes I would wake up early, do a doubles day (run in the morning, run during my lunch hour, and/or even after work).

I think it helped that I had access to facilities at my workplace, because sometimes I would run or bike to work to get those miles in.

Even doing core or strength exercises for about 20-30 minutes can be done as part of multi-tasking (say, in front of the TV while folding laundry?)

Again, it can be done. I know tons of folks who have full time duties with kids and/or work and still get the workouts in. It's kind of fun to juggle it! :-)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both training for a marathon right now. We have small kids so we have to split the schedule so someone is always home. My end of the schedule right now looks like this:
    Monday-Cross Train- Usually some combo of cycling, swimming, stairs, weights
    Tuesday- Up at 4:30-Run 10 miles
    Wednesday-Up at 5-Run 5 miles then gym or cycle on my trainer later
    Thursday-Up at 4-Run 10-11 miles
    Friday-Cross Train similar to Monday
    Saturday-5 miles
    Sunday-Long run 13-20 miles

If you are looking for food suggestions my diary is open. I'm not always the model example of perfect eating but I try to keep it about 80% really healthy and 20% treats.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I get up really, really early :) Your schedule looks similar to mine. Admittedly, I don't have kids, but between work and commuting, 11 hours of my day is consumed.

Seriously, though, sneaking in some really early runs helps me. Also, I do what others suggested and get my strength training done in front of the TV, or I sneak it in on my lunch hour. It makes my boyfriend laugh, but I also do some of it while brushing and flossing my teeth (calf raises, foot strength stuff, etc!). True story. I take the philosophy of "do what you can when you can."
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am about to begin training for my second marathon. As you have already pointed out with this post, there is a big difference in he level of commitment between training for a full and training for a half. As I see it, when training for a half, you plan your training runs wherever you can fit them in your social calendar. When training for a full, you plan your social calendar around your training runs. It pretty much is the focus of your life for the 16 or 18 or 24 weeks during which you are training. If you accept this and are prepared to make that commitment, you will find the time to get it done.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it. I think your current plan looks good, but as time gets closer and you decide on the marathon, just add a mile to some of the runs you're doing. It's easier to add another mile's worth of time to a run you're already on than to find time to dedicate to another individual run.

My diary is open as well
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about running a marathon, then your question should be "How can I fit more mileage into my schedule?", not "How can I fit more cross training into my schedule?". Cross training for runners helps you to train without getting injured, it won't help you get to the finish line of 26.2. You need to run more to accomplish that.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both training for a marathon right now. We have small kids so we have to split the schedule so someone is always home. My end of the schedule right now looks like this:
    Monday-Cross Train- Usually some combo of cycling, swimming, stairs, weights
    Tuesday- Up at 4:30-Run 10 miles
    Wednesday-Up at 5-Run 5 miles then gym or cycle on my trainer later
    Thursday-Up at 4-Run 10-11 miles
    Friday-Cross Train similar to Monday
    Saturday-5 miles
    Sunday-Long run 13-20 miles

If you are looking for food suggestions my diary is open. I'm not always the model example of perfect eating but I try to keep it about 80% really healthy and 20% treats.

My week looks about like this except Jen and I run around 5 p.m. and then eat a later dinner.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Running a marathon is a commitment. Have you looked at training plans? I've used the Hal Higdon programs before. But from what you wrote you may want to try the Run Less/Run Faster program. You run three days a week and cross train two days a week. Its a hard program though. I use an app that was like $2 to track it.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it. I think your current plan looks good, but as time gets closer and you decide on the marathon, just add a mile to some of the runs you're doing. It's easier to add another mile's worth of time to a run you're already on than to find time to dedicate to another individual run.

My diary is open as well

I agree with him.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I know most here are advocates of high mileage, and I agree it is optimal, but I have trained successfully and injury free for 2:00 half marathons at a max of 25 mi/wk. I don't think you need to hit 45 mile weeks like you are to train for a HALF. In my book, you are well on your way to a marathon at that point, you just have to keep at it so you have a base.

You can also add in some mileage on your x-train day if you feel like you need it.

And finally, you may need to head out without your husband if it comes to that. I can't tell how different your schedules are.

I have done my scheduling different ways, but my plan for this fall training season is to get up an hour earlier than usual. This is feasible for me because I stay up too late doing nothing. I will get up at 6am - the rest of my family is up at 7. I can fit in all of my weekday miles within an hour. I am following a tweaked version of an intermediate half training program, and none of the weekday workouts is more than 7 miles, and the weekly mileage maxes out around 34 miles. There is always a day to cross-train or take a second rest day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I know most here are advocates of high mileage, and I agree it is optimal, but I have trained successfully and injury free for 2:00 half marathons at a max of 25 mi/wk. I don't think you need to hit 45 mile weeks like you are to train for a HALF. In my book, you are well on your way to a marathon at that point, you just have to keep at it so you have a base.

Depends how fast you want to run it.

I run 70+ miles a week to run sub 90 minute HM. No way I could run that time on 25 miles per week.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    ^ definitely, which is why I specified my time. If OP just wants to run one, then she CAN without upping the mileage much. Like I said, not optimal, but safe and possible. I looked at my marathon training plan I will start later in the fall, and the longest weekday runs are usually 10 miles, with one 11 miler.