Tips for Success

Options
mollyann34
mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
I'm just starting back on my fitness journey and I have such a hard time with food cravings. Staying within my limited about of calories is what I find most difficult. Does anyone have any advice or what they do that helps them? Thanks!

Replies

• brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have different philosophies on this matter. She looks for ways to satisfy her cravings with 0-carb, 0-fat and/or 0-cal alternative foods. I just try avoiding high fat/sugar/cal foods completely. For me, it is easier to dismiss those foods completely when I don't consider them food anymore. If I have not recently tasted them, I don't crave them. Food is more like fuel for me now rather than an enjoyment. Yes, I still enjoy and yes I still make some poor choices but for the most part I just stick with nutrient-dense foods. I find I stay full longer and don't crave as much.

Regarding volume intake? I think I am lucky my stomach shrunk rather quickly. Before it shrunk I was miserable. My wife, now, is amazed I can eat so little when she still needs frequent snacks. I think this is also because I choose the quality foods but genetics may also come into play. Or maybe even will power. Idk.

Here is a quick comparison of my fuel vs my co-worker's fuel. He had a twix bar this morning. That was not his breakfast but just a treat for him. The calorie content of his Twix was higher than the calorie content of my egg-white breakfast sandwich. In that sandwich I had High Fiber bread, lean meat, egg whites and a slice of cheese (something has to make it tast good right?) My breakfast was nutrient dense and will tak much longer to digest than his Twix. What I'm getting at is the right foods will allow you to eat more for the same calorie budget. The food may not be a pleasurable but after obstaining for awhile I really don't miss it much. That being said, I have warned my co-workers not to bring Pizza or Nachos back to their desk because I would gladly kill them and dispose of their body (no witnesses of my assuredly slovenly, sloppy diet degradation!) They have been warned!