August Goals/Challenges

Options
13»

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Vespertide: Sounds like the changes you are making are causing great health benefits for you. I'm hoping I can cut some meds, too.

Claudine: I don't think I know how tall you are, but I was trying to do some calculating. If I were exercising 3 days a week (moderate exercise) and was only 14 pounds from my goal weight, it would take me over 5 weeks to lose 1 pound. (Even at my heavy exercise, it will take me 4 weeks.) Now that means everything has to be perfect. No retaining water. No screw-ups. Exact measurements, etc. It has to be so frustrating at that level. Heck, I should be losing faster than I am and it is frustrating for me now. I am confident that you can do this though. After all, you really have only been back on your "foot" for a couple of weeks.

One question: What are your beverages? I don't log mine (which I probably should) if I drink 0 calories stuff. However, there are some circles who believe that if things have artificial sweeteners and taste sweet, you release the same amount of insulin that you would if it had real sugar (the why people gain weight on diet coke, theory). I don't see artificial sweeteners in your menu really, but I'm not seeing beverages except for water, wine and juice. Any diet drinks, maybe?

I think, too, that maybe, with the exercise, you will see body changes and the number will not be so important.

I have done the 3 new exercises that were part of my goal this month. I hope the driving range counts (it isn't new, but I hadn't held a golf club in probably 5 years). Had fun doing that (I'm sore though). Will do it occasionally along with the lower body machines. I have also done the elliptical, upper body machines and a little jogging of which none are for me.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Update: I put my weight back on from overeating last night. But I am back on the wagon today. Day x day if you struggle like I do, just know it is about the journey and feeling better. I took many falling off the wagons to quit smoking and finally did quit for good. I may be nearing my end of the rope for weight loss. In the meantime, I am making good healthy choices with foods and exercise most of the time. I get frustrated but I feel supported and need to keep trying. Some overnight weight gain, but Saturday is my weigh-in date. I will try again today. Peace:flowerforyou:
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi all of my dear MFP friends.

It is still HOT, but I am hopeful to still get out this evening. If it gets darker first, maybe Larry will go???

I decided to repost my goals for August:
    1. I will NOT eat when I am stressed!! I must learn to deal with stress -
    I have not been doing the late night eating/binging thing! :bigsmile:

2. Stay within my calorie allowance 8/20 = 14 days
    3. Continue building on steps 10,000 a day Because of the SM I certainly have not succeeded, but I am working at it.

4. Go for loss of 1.5 lb / week = 243 lb 8/21 = 246.2 lb

We will see how the rest of the month goes.

All we can do is keep going onward and downward.
    Let's have a great end to August!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Smilesback: You are committed and that is what counts. You will get there. I is just slow within 20 pounds or so. Same for you, Reba. You two are doing everything right!

As for overnight gain...I'm the champion. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday were at 171. Thursday morning was 173.5. Today. 179.5. :sad:

This has happened to me before so I try to analyze. Obviously, I didn't eat 30,000 additional calories in two days. Although I feel like I did (so bloated). I can attribute this to 5 things, I believe:

1. My body has gotten so used to cardio and I haven't done any with the gym closed and the heat this week, it is rebelling. (Gym was open last night, but I didn't feel good, so I had to skip it. Who would feel good carrying around 8.5 pounds of water?
    2. The heat is very difficult for me and my heart does not function as well in getting rid of water. Know there is congestion because I am not sleeping well and I have that HF cough.
    3. My heart, or something, just hasn't been right this week and I have had a couple of near fainting spells. (Still think meds are too strong).
    4. I, as usual since starting this journey, am very, very constipated.
    5. My muscles are very sore from the driving range, so my muscles are also probably collecting water to repair.

I have started the Lasix to get rid of the water this a.m. Not much else I can do. My menus have been good and, except for lack of cardio since Monday, I am doing all I can. Just have to wait this out.

It is very frustrating though. Wanted to be down to 170 when I see the doctor next Thursday. :grumble:

Wish me luck!
    Charlie
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Smiles,

I had fallen off the wagon many times also when I quit smoking. I was just never ready but I finally did it a few years ago. The food thing is just another habit. It's hard to control at times but you are doing well, just keep at it. That's what I tell myself. Sure I get discouraged but every day, I hope that will be the day where I see results, either on the scale or the way my clothes fit.

Charlie,

You must be retaining water. There is no way, you've gained weight in a few days with all the activity your body is used to. You must have really swung that club. You must have some power in your wrist and arms.

I'm concerned over you feeling lightheaded, can't you get in to see the doctor a few days sooner. Or call them and tell them your symptoms, maybe they'll have some suggestions for you.

I'm only around 5'2"-5'3" (depends what convenient store I leave from. HaHa!) Actually, I very rarely drink diet soda, sometimes a Sprite 0 but it's been months since I've had any. When I do drink diet beverages, I get bloated and retain more water. Carbonated beverages leach calcium from the bones. My osteoporosis is supposedly gone but I don't want it coming back nor do I care for (diet) soda. Prefer wine, and I've been staying away from that lately. (Not much longer though :-))

BTW, I, too, very much dislike the Elliptical machine, the other day was the longest I've stayed on it. The other one I dislike at my PT place is the stairmaster. If you don't pedal fast enough, the pedals sink! So to stay up, I really have to go fast. It's exhausting!

Like you said, I just started getting back into the whole exercise thing. I'm taking it slow and will stick with it. Hopefully, in a few months, I will have positive results to show for it.

If nothing else, it keeps me out of the kitchen :-)

Thank you for all your help, and when you can, Please keep encouraging me cause I'm gonna need it.

Happy Trails,

Claudine
  • smilesback
    Options
    Hi my son got his power back on last night, and his stress level is now within the reasonable range. YAY! I thought I was about to disown him! Ha! If only, no, I wouldn't do it, just think it real hard!! I am just working on my diet and controlling my appetite with the help of a supplement. Will weigh in tomorrow and let you know how it is going. I have energy and feel in control of whether I choose to overeat. Of course, my old habit is to eat as much as I want. So losing 30# is not going to come off fast, but I am buckled in now for the ride. Take care everybody, have a nice weekend!
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Charlie,

I hope you are doing better today. i am sure it must be frustrating retaining the water, I am sure once you get back to exercising again that will get better. But, for now, you need to take care of yourself! Hoping to hear that you are feeling better soon and back to your old self.

Smiles, hang in there, it is a tough journey with lots of ups and downs, literally.

- JB
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    It is some better today! 2.5 gone of the 8.5.
  • smilesback
    Options
    Thanks JB! I weighed 155 July 1st and weight 152.8 today, so a good 2 lbs less, and let's hold it and not gain it back like I usually do! :blushing:
  • Rebamae
    Options
    I am soooo excited: Why, you ask??

We are going to Colorado! :bigsmile: We are leaving Saturday and will return Sept 7th. I absolutely LOVE LOVE the mountains. We are not taking our camper, instead opted for a cabin.

We are high up in the boondocks of the mountains, consequently, there is not wifi and very limited (if any) cell phone coverage. In fact there is not even a TV other than for watching movies. I want to sit by the creek, look at the mountains and read. Oh sounds fantastic!! :heart:

Do any of you mind if I start the September Goals/Challenges on Thursday the 28th?
    I would really like to get them in place before we leave.
    Please let me know if that is a problem for anyone. :smile:

Thanks
    Reba
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Rebamae--we went to Colorado this past Spring and it was one of my most favorite trips. I just love the mountains. Enjoy!
  • smilesback
    Options
    WHOOHOOWEEEEE :) I weighed 155 July 1st and today I weigh 149.2 lbs. I am down 6 lbs and feel so encouraged. Thanks for being here so I could share that! Best of luck to all of you and now I know how hard you work at this losing weight. It takes a lot of effort! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Rebamae
    Options
    I have started the SEPTEMBER GOALS AND CHALLENGES.

I wanted to get it started before I left this week-end.