Getting back into this - advice on my exercise log please

Options
rougenoire
rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
Hi

It was my first trip back to the gym for a while yesterday and I was trying to get back into lifting weights. I have never done really heavy stuff and don't have anyone to spot for me so my plan has to be worked around that.

I logged my workout for yesterday so if anyone could give me some tips or ideas for how to progress like what weight increase should I do and over what time. I like to do full body workouts and will do say squats then press ups (I skipped the press ups last night though) normally. Any resources I should check out?

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I looked at your exercise diary and I would probably recommend increasing your weight and decreasing your reps to make sure that you're actually close to failure by the end of your set. I've done circuit training in the past and am looking into the 5-3-1 program right now (just started last night). I don't have a spotter either so I used an unweighted barbell to start to make sure I had proper form and then added weights after I felt comfortable. The barbell is 45 lbs typically (but can weigh as little as 30 lbs depending on the type of barbell). Hope this helps but I'm sure many more on here will have a more complete answer than mine.

The main thing is that we're getting back into lifting! Good luck!
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For my first time back in the gym for at least six months I was pretty close to failure but at my next work out (sometime after I can walk up and down stairs again without pulling faces!) I should be able to change it up a little. I haven't heard of 5 3 1 so will go do some reading ad see what that's like too.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. You can get an app for your phone that keeps track of your workouts and tells you what weights to use next.
    There's a Stronglifts group on MFP.

There's also a great book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" with some great info on lifting. There's also a group for this program on MFP. I chose not to use this program because people said it got too complicated after Stage 1.

Check them out, I'm sure there's more........