Latest Update - Adenomyosis

Options
Sweet_Pandora
Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
As I posted a few months back I had a 3 cm cyst on one of my ovaries. The past few months the pain has come and gone as well and gotten worse when I do have pain.

I just received the results from my latest ultra sound. The cyst is gone, however, the Dr. has diagnosed adenomyosis!

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?

It occurs when the endometrial tissue which normally lines the uterus grows into the muscular wall of the uterus causing heavy periods, severe pain, bloating and a few other lovely symptoms.

I have been given 2 different types of pain killers and I have been referred to a gynecologist.

The joys of being a woman!

It has kicked my ar$e back into eating well and exercising regularly!

:)
Karen

Replies

• branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your troubles! I have not heard of this before, but it sounds painful! All the best.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was diagnosed with it. I had severe cramps my entire life, and found out I had this in my late 40s.
  • mchristo918
    Options
    Oh dear, I have unfortunately heard of this. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. It was horrible pain, I understand how you feel, truly I do! Sadly, the cells that were growing through the lining of my uterus started to mutate, so I had a hysterectomy. I hope things go better for you than they did for me, but whatever happens, there are options. Best of luck to you!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, it's nice to know that others can relate.

I am going for acupuncture tomorrow to see if that helps while I wait for my gyno appointment.

Karen
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago. Strange as it sounds, I noticed the horrific pain became tolerable when I started a low carb diet and now I can pop just a couple of aleve & feel ok. Unfortunately the extremely heavy flow still goes on. My gyn suggested hanging in there if I could, as it should resolve when I enter menopause. Give low carb a try if you don't want to take prescription pain meds. There is an adenomyosis website also, it looks kind of homespun so not sure about the info on it.

edit to correct my darn autocorrect from sleeve to aleve
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yep, menopause helped one thing at least. LOL
  • deborahgillion55
    deborahgillion55 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I had adenomyosis along with endometriosis. I was miserable. It was almost 10 years before my Dr. dx me. I had my wound scraped and endometriosis lasered. I took estrogen and pogesterin as described The symptoms came back after a couple of months with bleeding. I told my Dr. I couldn't take it anymore. I had a complete hysterectomy. It really affected me in a lot of ways. Glad that part of my life is over with. My heart goes out to the ones with female reproductive disorders. God Bless You and Keep You.