New to OA and MFP

Options
Hi ya'll,

Almost two weeks ago, I woke up in physical, mental, emotional and spiritual pain. I was desperate.
The night before I had dialed into a OA phone meeting. There were only 4 people on the call. At the end of the meeting, when they ask for newcomers I spoke up. I spoke briefly of my struggles with weight then I broke down in tears. The moderator was very kind and told me that I had come to the right place.
The next day, I found a face to face meeting that is very close to my home. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it was to go to that meeting. I am a very private person and it is way outside my comfort zone to "expose" myself to any kind of "putting myself out there". I was welcomed warmly by most of the members (fortunately it was a small group). It was a mixed group of men and women, recovering bulimics and overeaters and those like me that are overweight. I wish I could say I felt immediately I was in the right place but I did not. After attending 5 meetings, I am still not 100% sure. I was asked to commit to attending 6 meetings so I will do that. I have also been dialing into some phone meetings. Specifically, the 100 pounders as I have over 100 lbs to lose. I have shared 3 times at the group meetings (again, outside my comfort zone) each time not able to keep myself from crying.

I am so happy I found MFP and this OA message board.

Good luck to you all!
Tapping:blushing:

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi Tapping, and Welcome!
    I am glad you took the first steps, the hardest steps into the meeting rooms. It took me a while to figure out if I was a compulsive overeater. Eventually things fell into place and I realized that I had no control over my food and that food was in control of me. This program is not about weight loss, it focus on addressing why we binge and getting down to the root cause. The weight loss is a result of addressing our relationship with food. Good luck in your journey. This forum isn’t as active as I would like, but I show up to offer and receive support.
  • ZenPeace2014
    ZenPeace2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi GRS,

Thanks so much for the welcome and congratulations on your progress.

Yesterday I fulfilled my commitment to attend 6 OA meetings. I know now that I want/need to continue in the process.
    I have a long way to go in my weight loss journey but for the first time in a long time, I feel hope. :happy:

Thanks for being here and offering support. Hopefully, I can do the same for you and any others that come to this forum.

Tapping