Tdee

Options
JulieAnneFIU
JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
I hate even asking this because I read page after page in these forums but I want to eat.. I initially lost 8lbs eating at 1200 and then found this place, ate at what I thought was maintenance (1900) to do a reset and gained 10lbs. Since then I've switched up both my eating and fitness regimen so I have no math to work off of to use any spreadsheets. I was taking 10k steps a day but as a stay at home mom it's a fairly hard thing to do unless I can get on the dreadmill or manage to get outside. What I want to know is what I should consider myself as I stronglift three days a week (started last week) and hiit for about twenty minutes three days a week (been doing this for months) but otherwise sit on my *kitten*. Lightly active? Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'5, 37 years old, weigh 132 and guesstimated my bf% at 25% based on tape measures and websites. Don't care about losing weight as long as I lose this stomach. My goal is to be able to jump up and down without all my parts wiggling.

ETA-by "sitting on my *kitten*" I mean I can easily go a whole day getting under 1500 steps unless I am making myself go outside. Don't have to go very far between the kitchen and my couch. I wear a pedometer.

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Momspective! So it sounds like you tried doing a reset and ate at 1900 (what you thought was maintenance) but gained 10 pounds so you thought that couldn't be right? When doing a reset, it is very normal to have gains when increasing calories, and especially if you increased your calories quickly. Since you came from eating 1200 calories I'm assuming for an extending period of time since you wanted to reset, your body will take awhile to adjust to eating more calories...that's the point of the reset and then eating at your maintenance level for at least 8-12 weeks so your body can adjust and heal it's metabolism. It sounds like you were going down the right path but didn't quite see the process out. Please check out this thread on what to expect when increasing calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

As far as your activity level for Scooby, I am thinking you would probably be moderate activity and with you numbers, that would put your TDEE somewhere around 1996. I saw your other post where you state you have been very hungry, but what calorie level are you currently eating at when you say you are that hungry? Did you drop your calories back down after gaining on the reset? If so, that would explain why you are so hungry. I'm just not sure what you are currently doing calorie wise. You also said in your other post you got a fitbit and plan to try for more activity. Make sure you are using the moderate activity level for sure if you begin adding even more activity.

If you want to follow the EM2WL guidelines, then we would suggest for you to begin your reset again and finish it out this time. If you are not concerned about losing weight at all, then slowly increase your calories back up to TDEE and monitor your weight, but do expect some fluctuations on the scale. Once you get to TDEE, stay there for 8-12 weeks. Lifting heavy during this time will help to reshape your body and that stomach area you are bothered by. If you do decide that you want to lose a few pounds, you can then introduce a small cut after reset, but I would only suggest a 10% cut since you are not really wanting to lose weight it sounds like.

I hope this helps with your questions! Please post back if you need more guidance!
  • JulieAnneFIU
    Options
    That does help I had taken myself to 1880 because fat2fit said that was my tdee but I was only eating around 1600 of it some days I'm fine but on lifting days I literally do not get full. I always meet my macros which pleases me but I am sick of this relationship I'm having with food. I will do what you said, I appreciate the help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That does help I had taken myself to 1880 because fat2fit said that was my tdee but I was only eating around 1600 of it some days I'm fine but on lifting days I literally do not get full. I always meet my macros which pleases me but I am sick of this relationship I'm having with food. I will do what you said, I appreciate the help!

Did you use fat2fit as intended - because if you put in an actual goal weight, that TDEE given is NOT for current weight, but goal weight, which of course means there is a deficit there already.
    So that would not be a reset.

Also, the base the start of math on the most potentially inflated Harris BMR, Scooby uses better Mifflin BMR, plus if you have bodyfat %, you can select even better Katch BMR based on BF%.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    Options
    I put my actual weight as both weight and goal weight. I need to get my bf measured properly I just used measuring tape and it came to 27% today. I understand all of this, I read pages and pages of all of your posts but I'm just flipping out over my weight. I think once I get the fitbit and get a better idea of what I burn I will be able to eat at tdee -10%. I don't know, I pretty much already knew the answer but I had to ask it anyway. If I don't get up and go outside I can easily take under 1000 steps in a day. My kids are older and are pretty independent so I really don't do jack. I just started SL 5x5 and will walk 10k steps but I'm not doing any other cardio until I get a handle on lifting. Summer is basically over so I'm no longer in a huge rush to be tight. Thanks for your help, you're a rock star.